Bob Dylan: Complete Album Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, I did mention this other-side-of-the coin scenario earlier.

Surely a good compilation is the place to begin?

IronWaffle likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

A Greatest Hits package or Biograph would be a good start to see which period of Bob you like. He has such a breadth of styles and periods that you may like one and not the others. Or you could start with an acknowledged classic like Blood On The Tracks or Highway 61 Revisited. Or if you like more 60s folk-styled music, then go with his second album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

But to start with 40+ albums including all of his weakest efforts would be a complete overload. It would be like drinking 40+ bottles of vodka in one sitting. You'd never survive. Best to take it nice and slow. You know: Just dip your toes into Bob's catalog. See what you like and then start gathering stuff. If you still want more after a year or so, then you can jump in deeper. Arnie

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

That behaviour is as perplexing to me as mine is to you. Perhaps the difference is that while I am not a fan of Dylan, I am a serious fan of listening to music. Perhaps what makes all the difference is that I actually buy a lot of music and listen to it, so what you consider to be the sign of a major commitment, I don't. It may just be that simple.

A greatest hits package doesn't work for me with Dylan: I find 'Blowin' In The Wind' boring, 'Mr. Tambourine Man' hackneyed and while I like 'Like A Rolling Stone' I also think it's just about the most overrated single in musical history. I detest 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' and 'Rainy Day Women #12 & 35’. If 'my' Dylan exists, he's not going to be found on compilations.

4. Arnold Grove

But you are a "serious fan of listening to music"--which is NOT a "casual" fan. Even if you are not a fan of Dylan, you are a "serious fan" in general. I was only speaking for a TRUE casual fan, who only listens to music as background or on a whim. For example, I personally almost never watch TV. But occasionally I will stop and watch something. So I am a "casual" TV viewer. In contrast, if I watched TV all the time, I would be a "serious fan of watching TV". And that would be the case even if I never watched a particular TV show.

Arnie

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

You're not kidding! ;)

Seriously though, I am sure there is a Dylan album for everyone.

Happy hunting, it's one of the 41 in that box!

6. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

I totally agree...I think that, if a casual fan really NEEDS to buy a Dylan box set, this could be the SACD box,
    which had all his best albums (except TOOM).

7. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

But sells for loads more than this box set. So it does still make sense to get this.

Plus I thought about the other remasters....14 of them, let's say in the UK it's about £10 each. It's only a tenner more to get the whole box. So I'm definitely going that way.

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

This is the only reason I'm still considering not cancelling my order.....(though in US $$$$)

subtr likes this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Ah, okay ... maybe we're speaking at cross-purposes. In the context that I hear the word casual used a lot, a hardcore gamer is someone who plays 40 hours of Dark Souls a week and a casual gamer is someone who plays 40 hours of Call Of Duty a week. :D You're thinking more that a casual gamer is someone who plays 20 minutes of Angry Birds a week.

Okay, by that definition, yes, someone who buys a set like this is more than a casual Dylan fan.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I can only think of one occasion where I want from having nothing from an artist to going more or less "all in". That was the Velvet Underground - but their core studio catalog fit in a 4 CD box (with an extra 5th disc of demos). Going from no Dylan albums to 41 of them overnight ... I can't see it.

11. Arnold Grove

Okay, we are now in agreement. Hmmm.. 20 minutes of Angry Birds a week. I might just try that ... for a week!! ;) Arnie

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree. When the 15 disc SACD set came out in '03, I had most of the original CDs, as well as BL#1. This was a great addition to my Dylan library. This is for the casual fan who wants to get immersed in Bob.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Nah, they'll just repress Volume 1 and add it to that, thereby making obsessive collectors blow a fuse and go apoplectic. Tears of Rage.

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Heh. A rather meaningless question for the Bob fanatics on this Forum. :laugh:

15. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

Fanatics? Yes!
    Overkill box set?Yes!

My statement meaningless?No!

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I was making, by inference, the rather obvious joke that we probably don't have our minds intact. :D

In reality, I think it's overkill for me. I would prefer a smaller box with just the 14 remastered items, plus a properly done Sidetracks. I could see the logic of a totally complete set when Bob either dies, retires, or leaves Columbia records forever, never to record for them again.

Carserguev and bobcat like this.
  17. RFeirstein

RFeirstein Member

The Sidetracks CD's leave off several important tracks only released on 45's.

The first is "If You Got To Go, Go Now" (not released in N. America just N. Europe) (Yes it's out on a Bootleg Series release).

The other is " Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" (I have the 45 I picked up in Paris, CBS 7329). Different track from the beautiful one just released on Another Self Portrait and different than the hard to listen to one included on "Dylan".

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

To be honest, as much as I like Dylan I even might think the set could be slight overkill even for me.
    I currently have Mono boxes of the 8 first albums (cd & vinyl) and individual stereo albums from the start: BD, TFBD, TTTAAC, BIABH, H61R, BOB, BOTT and all BS-releases so far (all normal editions except deluxes for TTS and ASP).
    You might think and ask how I dont have more of his albums yet, but you will get the answer to this in the lower paragraph.

I have now come to second decisions about this coming boxset. Just slightly.
    I have locked the price for the "Complete Album Collection" at 127.99€+postage 5.99€(~$172+$8) from Jpc.de, due to the -20% discount-code I got from them earlier.
    It surely collects all that I need, but as I already have access to (all the albums Im missing) by legal streaming-services, local library and my friends albums,
    would I really need them in physical format as theres few not so good ones in the catalogue (I have listened to all of Bob's albums before, some many times and some only couple).
    The collection would prove me good that I can get all them at once, but so far the pleasure has been little by little discovering Dylan's catalogue and then buying them.

I know the final decision to order this or cancel is my own, but wanted to mention it here anyways.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. Peter77

Peter77 Forum Resident

Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. One

So ... I assume from the box title that a Vol. Two will follow in due course, presumably containing all the Archival/Bootleg Series releases?

20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

No need to assume ... That's been announced.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"The Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. Two, slated for release next year, will compile the entire Bootleg Series for the first time."
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmus...bum-Collection-Vol-One-Available-115-20130925

Over at "Expecting Rain"-forum someone posted this:
    I got official email today that Vol. 2 will be released next year. BS 11 will also come out. perhaps already April / May. Aug/sept is more likely.
    There will be no announcement before middle/end next year wether there will be B-side and missing songs side tracks,
    or the missing official live albums (Gaslight, Carnegie, Brandeis, 30 anniversary Dylan tracks) or the 3rd BS 8 and 10 discs will be included but it's very likely.

22. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

What a strange strategy, unless it was delayed to ensure inclusion of BS11. And does that then lend creedence to the idea that the BS is winding down? Lord, I hope not - I have been looking forward to many more years of these releases, and there is certainly enough in the vault to continue on and on.

It would have been well within the realm of possibility to issue this all in one shot, and still come out under the size of some of their bigger boxes like the Cash and Miles Davis sets.

23. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

Except it isn't. The Bootleg Series version is different (and , IMO, inferior take).

culabula, DmitriKaramazov and slane like this.
  24. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Having looked at the detail of this today would I be correct in saying that Shot Of Love has never been remastered.....and won't be on this set? Strange-I'm a massive Dylan fan and will be getting this but I am surprised SOL appears not to have been remastered.

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I personally think this is a typo that gets repeated. Shot of Love IS remastered for this set, Street Legal is not.

That's what I WANT to believe. :) The current Shot of Love sounds AWFUL. I want a remaster badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.