Bob Dylan - Euro Tour 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Fuller, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, you only have to listen very closely to the tapes / videos! Firstly to hear how much of the audience is very audibly talking through every song to the other 'converted' members of the audience whilst their friends / family members who are tagging along for the ride (to see a legend in action) often seem to be bored and busy talking about everything but Dylan. The constant whooping and applause throughout every song cannot be any real indication of the quality of the performance though.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yep, he's like a historical monument by now. If he sent out a body double, maybe that would disappoint, at least initially? It would probably soon be distorted into an act of genius though.

Fullbug and SteveM like this.
  3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Hologram tour!

DTK likes this.
  4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Yes of course.

Tim

5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Not denying it happens, not even denying I might have WITNESSED it, but my recollection of the last decade of Dylan shows---in which I've seen him more than 10 times---doesn't have a lot of mindless and loud fan enthusiasm. In fact, he's up there, along with Neil Young and Brian Wilson, in huge numbers of normal ticket buyers I hear loudly complaining that this was NOT at all what they expected and barely something someone should be selling tickets to see. (With Neil it's usually more "this isn't the style or set of songs I associated with him" with Bob and Brian more a total "what the heck did I just witness?")

Fullbug likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Verona Arena is one of the most beautiful venues in the world to see a rock concert. A relatively small, but ancient stone coliseum. It actually has a graduated floor, so that people on the floor can all see well, located in a small town so it’s relatively quiet so great sound and just gorgeous under the stars. The only disadvantages are stone bench seating in the upper tier and, of course, the potential for rain.

budwhite likes this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s nonsense. I’ve seen Dylan three times in the last ten years or so, and genuinely enjoyed the performances. Having watched those clips from Verona, I’m interested enough to try to see him again when he plays the indie-rock heavy Fuji Rock Festival this summer. I can’t imagine that will go over well, but who knows. He follows Chvrches and Vampire Weekend!

mark ab likes this.
  8. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

I know the Euro leg is well over but I see he finished up in New Zealand by reintroducing Like a Rolling Stone and It Takes a Lot to Laugh, it Takes a Train to Cry. Rolling Stone magazine posted an article about it.

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain and mark ab like this.
  9. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Apart from a couple of changes it was very static set list

10. Did you go?

11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Got the tickets I wanted except for the Tucson Music Hall October 5.
    The venue sold out and now I have to shop online or take my chances the day of the event.
    I hate ticketmaster with their jacked up prices and overhead fees.
    I may miss this show and I'm not happy about it.

12. JudasPriest

There's a fantastic capture of Newcastle, Australia doing the rounds. Excellent sound. His vocal continues to sound even smoother abd more youthful than it has during this rennaisance period which began with relatively static sets in 2013

Fullbug and mark ab like this.
  13. Richard--W

I'll be seeing Dylan tomorrow in Phoenix, opening night of the American leg of the tour.
    Also Friday night, at the Tucson Music Hall.

mark ab and 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain like this.
  14. JudasPriest

Let us know how you get on. Hope he keeps the rearranged Rolling Stone and It takes a lot to Laugh/Train to Cry that he sprung at the last show in NZ

Richard--W and mark ab like this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

More interestingly, there are no Sinatra songs at all in the Australian sets. So ends (probably) one of the more bizarre and sometimes rewarding Dylan eras.

Richard--W likes this.
  16. JudasPriest

No Stu Kimball in Phoenix!

17. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Hope Bob makes a bad dad joke about it for old time’s sake.

18. Richard--W

It was nice to see Dylan in concert again.

No Stu Kimball in Phoenix. His guitar was sorely missed.

No Sinatra songs at all, and no one missed them. The discipline required to sing the songs seems to have informed Dylan's approach and brought him back to an earlier time in the sixties. I find the "mod rock" he's playing reminiscent of Highway 61 Revisited, actually, although it's not the same.

I just knew he was going to open with "Things Have Changed" and he did. I hate that damn song and wish he'd get over it.
    "It Ain't Me Babe" and "Don't Think Twice" were warmly received by the crowd.
    I was delighted to hear "When I Paint My Masterpiece" in concert for the first time. No Bobby Neuwirth to foul it up.
    He kept the new arrangements of "Like A Rolling Stone" one of the highlights of the evening and "It takes a Lot to Laugh/A Train to Cry."
    Each time he picked up the harmonica the crowd applauded, and when the solo ended, they applauded again.
    He took the microphone stand in hand center stage to sing "Workingman's Blues" and "Love Sick." Those two numbers provided some stage presence that was otherwise missing.
    There were a number of lyric changes on the newer songs and on "Gotta Serve Somebody" another new arrangement.

Dylan was in excellent voice throughout, but only played keyboard/piano during the concert.
    Between each song he shuffled across stage I think to turn a knob on a monitor near the drums then back to his seat behind the keyboard.

The lineup at the end was perfunctory, lasting about 5 seconds, and the musicians stayed to the rear of the stage. No one came close to the front of the stage, not even Dylan. He stayed back.

I don't know if we were listening to Dylan's sound system or to the theater sound system, but it wasn't very good. It wasn't any better at the last concert Dylan gave there, either. It's the worst live sound system I've heard.

Ticket buyers went through a metal detector gate followed by a security wand. There was a strict no cell phone use during the concert, and security enforced it by confronting anyone who raised a cell phone to take a picture or record the audio.

The lights on-stage facing the audience continue to adversely affect how the audience receives the concert experience. The brightest light facing the audience is positioned just under Dylan's keyboard. Traditionally a stage act is lit from above, and Dylan does that, but he also positions pole lights toward the audience. A top row aimed at the balcony and a lower row aimed onto the floor. If the idea is to make videotaping / cell phone capture difficult the tradeoff isn't worth it and is costing Dylan in terms of audience reception. The lights are alienating. I find looking into bright lights damned annoying.

4 October 2018 Comerica Theater - Phoenix, Arizona.

1. Things Have Changed
    2. It Ain't Me, Babe
    3. Highway 61 Revisited
    4. Simple Twist Of Fate
    5. High Water (For Charley Patton)
    6. When I Paint My Masterpiece
    7. Honest With Me
    8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
    9. Workingman's Blues #2
    10. Make You Feel My Love
    11. Pay In Blood
    12. Like A Rolling Stone
    13. Early Roman Kings
    14. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    15. Love Sick
    16. Thunder On The Mountain
    17. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    18. Gotta Serve Somebody
    -Encore-
    19. Blowin' In The Wind
    20. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  19. JudasPriest

No Stu in Tuscan either apparently...

20. Richard--W

I wish Dylan would dump the pedal steel.

21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Going to see Dylan in a small venue soon. Good thing is: the audience is always respectful and quiet during performances there. My kind of atmosphere at this point in my life.

23. JudasPriest

Really does look like Stu is gone for good and no replacement apparently

24. JudasPriest

Outstanding boot of last night's Thackerville show doing the rounds .

25. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

This is good, great sound and video:

Richard--W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.