*Bob Dylan* Freewheelin's outtakes CD (SONY copyright issues)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobcat, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Not bootleg would be a pirate if the material is duplicated. Although what Sony did was not in spirit of the law but then again laws don't apply to them do they....

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Looks like it is getting an official (Label: Bda ?) CD release? From amazon.co.uk
    This title will be released on February 25, 2013.
    The Freewheelin Outtakes

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That doesn't look like a Sony product, nor does the title make it sound like one. It seems someone is testing the legality of the Sony's "copyright extension." It appears to be a single disc, so my guess is they have simply used previously circulating material rather than the Sony set as their source.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

1 CD

6. inigo jones

inigo jones Forum Resident

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Are you referring to the old Vigotone bootleg CD?

9. Sean Murdock

Yes.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Of course, it'd require a bootlegger of unmitigated audacity to sue for copyright infringement (though if I recall, just such a suit was filed back when Frank Zappa released his "Beat The Boots" series that officially issued existing bootlegs, down to the cover-art).

11. Sean Murdock

Oh, I'm not expecting a legal issue with Vigotone! :winkgrin: I just think if you're going to be a gray-market, quasi-legal label, you should at least come up with your own artwork!

12. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

13. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

14. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

About $18

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's been mentioned a few times earlier on this thread, from post #158 onwards. It's a grey-label release.

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting....the CD was due out tomorrow and the link to it has disappeared from all the below sites where it was available:

http://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/the-freewheelin-outtakes-cd

http://www.bobdylanisis.com/contents/en-uk/d2.html#p391

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Freewheelin-Outtakes-Bob-Dylan/dp/B00AQ1APJE

However on one forum a few people who had ordered it off Amazon said they had received an email that the disc had been shipped.

So is it now a grey area 'rarity?'

Presumably it was a copy of the Vigotone boot with the songs in a different order but since I held back from ordering it I will now never know unless someone who does receive it reports back...

17. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I just gave the BDA version a spin. About half of the songs are in really nice sound quality. Some of them close to perfect; others, even though they sound good, have some slight tape speed issues. The other half are from acetates or high gen sources and don't sound as good, although none of them sound really bad. On a bootleg scale of 1 to 10 for sound quality I'd give it about an 8 to 9, but measured against official releases I'd give it more like a 6 to 7. It has very high quality graphics, an eight page booklet with lots of recording session details, and a slipcase. I don't have the Vigotone release so I can't compare them.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

About $17.90 more than it's worth...given the out of copyright nature of the release.

19. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

20. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

21. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

Okay, so I just heard this. There is a lot of hiss, but, with a few exceptions, it is quite listenable and enjoyable.

1. Going to New Orleans; 2. Sally Gal; 3. Corrina, Corrina; 4. The Death of Emmett Till; 5. (I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle; 6. Rocks and Gravel; 7. Sally Gal; 8. Baby Please Don't Go; 9. Milk Cow's Calf Blues; 10. Wichita (Going to Louisiana); 11. Milk Cow's Calf Blues; 12. Wichita (Going to Louisiana); 13. Baby, I'm In the Mood for You; 14. That's All Right Mama; 15. Mixed-Up Confusion; 16. Mixed-Up Confusion; 17. That's All Right Mama; 18. Ballad of Hollis Brown; 19. Watcha Gonna Do; 20. Hero Blues; 21. Watcha Gonna Do; 22. I Shall Be Free; 23. I Shall Be Free; 24. Hero Blues; 25. Hero Blues.

22. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I just found a sealed copy of this today at a swap meet. Looks completely legit. Nice booklet with track info inside! I looked at the back of each cd and it said the matrix number 60722-1, 60722-2, 60722-3 & 60722-4 so it seems to be the real deal. Silver cds with Bob Dylan 50 Anniversary Collection on each disc and an 8 page booklet in it with track info. Anyone have one of these puppies?

23. Sean Murdock

If you found a legitimate copy of this set -- in the U.S.! -- at a SWAP MEET, no less -- you're a lucky guy!

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

He didn't. There was a silver disc bootleg knock-off released a little while after the legitimate set (though with superior packaging and silver discs, it's arguably the preferable product). I can't imagine the set he found isn't the bootleg. All the known actual Sony sets are CD-Rs.

25. Sean Murdock

Kinda what I figured -- but still, a silver pressed CD set of this (assuming it was from a legitimate, lossless copy) is a nice thing to have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.