Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited SACD Mono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, After much googling and searching I can find no reference to the Bod Dylan Highway 61 Revisited Mono SACD, I am after a copy, but the definitive one, choices as I see it are, go the Mono Box Set (non sacd) hybrid SACD, does this one have a mono layer in sacd format ? or get the 3,000 limited (numbered) mono MO-FI SACD, which I have a feeling is the one I should be going for, but, the hybrid sacd may also have a mono layer, but it is not entirely clear if it does or not. Thanks.

2. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The MoFi hybrid is stereo only. It's an excellent second option if you can't get your hands on the DCC. The old Sony hybrid is poo.

The Mono box is still a great buy. I like the post-64 albums in that box more than the newer mono SACD's (though I still haven't heard the new mono H61R SACD).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The mono MFSL sacd (hybrid) Highway 61 Revisited is very good. The MFSL has a redbook layer. The Sony mono box version is great too but not sacd.

4. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, Did they use the original master tape for the Mono SACD version ?

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

What I have always understood from MoFi is if the banner on the cover artwork indicates Original Master then indeed they did use the original master tapes. If the banner is Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab some other source tape was used.

David del Toro and Joseph like this.
  6. Benjamin Zwickel

Benjamin Zwickel Active Member

I don't mind the mono when I love the music :)

7. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

I've listened to redbook layers only, but I think the Highway 61 Mono MFSL is the most impressive Dylan mono MFSL release I've heard. I love the Sony mono box and sometimes prefer the harsher/sharper sound compared to the MFSL mono releases (which generally have more depth, more bass, but sound a bit too smoothed out sometimes)... The Highway 61, however, was to me the weakest disc in the Sony mono box. It was too thin and almost felt like there was something missing in the sonic spectrum or something (even if there wasn't)... The MFSL sounds amazing, however. Biggest improvement by far. There's power in the disc and excitement and urgency and musicality that was totally missing in the Sony mono disc.

On a separate note, however, I'm not sure how I feel about this particular album in mono. I often prefer mono versions (e.g. with Bringing It All Back Home, John Wesley Harding, probably Blonde On Blonde, also Pet Sounds, Sgt Pepper, White Album, etc), but Highway 61 is certainly iffy in mono for me. The other 2 albums in the electric trilogy sound amazing in mono, but this one seems like it's missing too much by not having the immersive stereo sound of those particular musicians (including Bloomfield, Kooper) -- the stereo makes the experience more like going to a nice movie theater, and the mono's "punch" can't really compete and compensate for that on some of these songs.

8. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

To be clear to the OP, the only Sony Mono release is in their mono box, redbook only.

MFSL has released a stereo hybrid SACD, which has stereo in redbook and sacd layers,

and a mono hybrid SACD, which has mono in redbook and sacd layers

I have only a copy of the mono box version, but I’m looking to buy one (or both) of the MFSL SACDs one of these days

9. Flaming Torch

From Isis Bob Dylan Bob Dylan Remastered - Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine thanks to Derek Barker.

In 2010, a mono mix of “Highway 61 Revisited” was released as part of “Bob Dylan: The Original Mono Recordings”. Unfortunately, series producer Steve Berkowitz and engineer Mark Wilder were unable to obtain the original mono master tape for this release. It seems that this tape cannot be found anywhere in the United States! However, during an interview conducted by Roger Ford for ISIS, Berkowitz and Wilder said that they were able to locate, through the Sony Music archive in Germany, a tape made in 1965 for the manufacture of “Highway 61 Revisited” in France. This tape, which was fortunately in excellent condition, turned out to be the best mono mix that Berkowitz and Wilder had ever heard, and as a result they were able to give us a digital CD that comes very close to the quality of the original mono LP. This 2010 mono release is by far the best CD available.

For anyone interested in Dylan on cd the linked article is a good read.

10. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Thanks for the link to the Isis article, Torch. I did not know for instance that the stereo layer of the six Sony discs was (or is alleged to be) a remix as the article says:

"In late 2003, 15 of Dylan’s albums were simultaneously released as hybrid SACDs. Six of these titles also featured 5.1 surround sound and, because remixing is a prerequisite for surround sound, the standard CD layer of these titles was also remixed. The titles in question were “Another Side Of Bob Dylan”, “Bringing It All Back Home”, “Blonde On Blonde”, “Blood On The Tracks”, “Slow Train Coming” and “Love And Theft”."

I thought I knew the music real well after 40 years of listening to most of these, and I did not hear it.

I now have the stereo MFSL edition of four of these, and I wonder if MFSL used the 2003 stereo remix.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

That Isis article is great, but I would advise people to do the comparisons for themselves whenever possible. My preferences are often very different from theirs.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

In some cases. Not all of the titles listed in the article were actually remixed in stereo, I don't know why they made that claim. On SACD, Blood on the Tracks and Love and Theft are the original stereo mixes plus new surround mixes (I don't own Slow Train Coming but I don't remember reading anything about a stereo remix for that either)

13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I believe Slow Train Coming is also the original stereo mix on the Sony SACD.

14. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Excellent post.
    But for BIABH, H61 & BonB, I find it's almost a song-by-song proposition as far as mono vs. stereo.
    I enjoy our gracious host's stereo H61 on DCC most of all.

River Flow and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

Thanks. I think that's a good point you make, about the song-by-song differences. I've probably been biased by just how great the opening tracks for BIABH and BOB sound in mono, and the momentum not really letting up too much from there.

It is impressive how well the DCC's held up, given it's over 25 years old now. Sounds natural, unforced, authentic... Sometimes I'm just in the mood for the harshness and sharpness of the MFSL stereo, however.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Flaming Torch

I am unable to discern any difference in the stereo remix of Slow Train or Love and Theft (I do not have a 5.1 set up). Blonde has always been a remix since it first appeared on cd but my guess is that all were remixed in stereo to match the original stereo vinyl as close as possible.

17. Flaming Torch

Absolutely, it is a good guide as a starting point. For the electric mid 1960s Dylan albums see
    Electric Dylan

Taxman likes this.
  18. cageyc

cageyc Forum Resident

MFSL mono “Highway 61” SACD (with black top banner) on sale at Amazon right now for $19 and change: just snagged one.

David del Toro and Randu like this.
  19. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

H61R is my favourite album of all time and I have been picking up various formats out of interest. My audio set up is not great but I still enjoy listening for the subtleties.
    Currently I own these versions:

The Complete Album Collection
    Mono Box
    DCC
    MSFL Stereo/Mono
    Sony 2003 SACD

Are there other incarnations I should look to pick up?

20. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

very interesting article

The Bard likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

I called Music Direct last year and asked about this. What they told me is that if they cannot determine for sure if the tapes they get/use are the master, then they use the "Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab" banner. If they know they have/use the master tapes, then they use the "Original Master Recording" banner.

On topic, has anyone else compared the mono Mofi SACD to the CD in Mono box?

David del Toro and The Bard like this.
  22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Worth it's ounces in gold, that one.

The Bard likes this.
  23. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I always thought the stereo MoFi had a bit of weakness in the bass on It Takes a Lot to Laugh, Buick, and parts of the title track. The DCC was a revelation. The sound of that disc is really consistent. I also find it odd that between the DCC and now, somehow the Highway 61 master tape has gone missing again?

I love the DCC "house sound." Amazing work on that label.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    David del Toro likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Had a chance to compare these two over the weekend, so I will answer my own question. Much like Bringing It All Back Home, I prefer the Mono box CD for Highway 61.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Maybe
    Maybe the master can't be used anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.