Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisted DCC- wow!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I just got this through Ebay and all I can say is wow! It sounds like it was recorded yesterday. This is the best Dylan I've ever heard.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have a CDR of this (to hold me over until I get the real thing). And I have the SACD of Blonde on Blonde.

Steve's gold disc is far superior to the SACD!

How Steve got it to sound so real beats me!

3. bartels76

Every Dylan I've heard sounds like the tape has been beat to crap. This DCC sounds ridicuolus it's so good.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It's wonderful that one of the greatest rock albums of all time is also one of the best-sounding.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I just listened to my copy of Steve's "Highway 61" yesterday! I was knocked out when I first heard it. Simply amazing sound.

I can't believe I've never noticed the out of tune guitar on "Queen Jane Approximately". Is this Bob or Michael? I'm sure it's been widely discussed before but listening to Steve's version reveals a serious tuning problem! After listening to the DCC "Highway 61", it doesn't seem possible to make this great album sound better. I'll be curious to hear the SACD next month but as George Harrison said on The Simpsons, "It's been done!"

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

With the SACD release coming up, we'll soon see if it was A) a great tape or B) if Steve sprinkled an unusualy large amount of fairy dust on the DCC version!:)

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

How you could compare the SACD with DCC's remaster? Sony hasn't released "Highway 61 Revisited" on SACD yet... :confused:

8. triple

triple Senior Member

A few words from a BD illiterate.
    I have a Best of BD Sony CD (1997, mastered by Vic Anesini) which sounds very good for the most part. I pulled it out to listen to it the other day first time since I got the Grover interconnects (which made me go through all of my CD collection) and enjoyed listening to it.
    Interestingly, the stand out tracks (in sonic terms) were the ones from Freewheelin' BD. So much so, that I am thinking of buying the forthcoming SACD. Maybe also "Best of BD 2"...

Yes, some tracks were not impressive. I am disappointed with a track from "Slow Train coming", which sounds similarly flat and lifeless on the full length CD that I also have.

Goran

9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Claus,

I think Gary meant in comparison to the overall sound of the current "Blonde on Blonde" SACD..:) rather than the forthcoming "Highway 61" SACD.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Blonde on Blonde (SACD) is a remix... I say it's a good remix/remaster against Sony's Mastersound Gold remaster. Definitely the best pressing...

We will see how are the differences between Sony's upcoming SACD against Steve's remaster.

Maybe it's a close match between both... similar like Who's Next (Steve's MCA against the Deluxe Edition).

11. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

OK this'll be a bit of a thread c***, but since this is attracting many Bob fans I'd like to ask: what's supposed to be wrong with the original mix of Street Legal?

I scored a pristine mint copy on a local site some time ago ($8 local cash) and I haven't found it to sound particularly bad to be honest. I haven't heard the new mix though.

Cheers

12. bartels76

I have those 2 import Best Of CD's too. Like A Rolling Stone doesn't sound as good as the DCC version. I am impressed with how Hurricane and some other tracks sound though.

13. Boff1

Boff1 Senior Member

Don't think the old mix is bad, but the overall soundquality of the new one is much better IMHO.

14. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

That would be Mr. Bob! It may be more apparent on Steve's version, but it's pretty apparent on the standard stereo version. I've always gotten a big kick out of that--
    BRAAANG! It's like sucking on a lemon! There are also plenty of little mistakes in the playing on that album, 'cause Bob isn't big on teaching the songs to the band before recording them. And yet it's still a fantastic album, and I think the imperfections are part of the beauty.
    Speaking of "Queen Jane," Steely Dan's "Brooklyn" is definitely influenced by it. There's an earlier version of the song ("Brooklyn") that's on one of those "unofficial" CDs that you sometimes see in stores, where it's even more apparent. Not a big surprise considering that Walter and Donald were such big Dylan fans--Donald even thought about trying out for one of Dylan's touring bands once.

JD

15. Damián

Agree 100%. I couldn't imagine the song any other way by now.. another part which grabs my attention is on 'Rolling Stone', just before the second chorus IIRC.. the band feels like it's about to fall apart! :laugh:

16. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I finally received mine today. This does sound great! I also own the LP and original CD.

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I prefer the original CD and LP mix of Street Legal.
    It's what I'm used to hearing and it's got a great full sound without much seperation.

One of my favorites!
    See avatar.

Joe Lee

18. Damián

Didn't know the original mix had made it to CD -- I thought it had been remixed for CD in the first place.

So the new mix only improves on separation? I'd always thought (from what I'd read) that the original mix was too muddy, thuddy, murky .. you get the idea.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.