Bob Dylan Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

29 October 1978. The Checkerdome - St. Louis, Missouri. 8mm camera.

Jimmy B. and Iggyguy like this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Listening to the mono box in order.....CDs:edthumbs::cheers:

Adam9, JRM, Blue Note and 3 others like this.
  3. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Listened to Tempest (on vinyl) last night. Still throughly enjoyable.

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got this vinyl spinning now. Thoroughly cleaned of course.

Bob Dylan
    The Best of The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 12
    LP (12" album, 33 rpm)

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]

5. Richard--W

I found about 14 inches of shelf space between the top of the bookcase and the ceiling. It's 18 inches to the ceiling. There's is room for vinyl here. Whether the vinyl should be laid flat or stood upright is the question. So my stubborn resistance, predicated on not having the space, is beginning to waver, especially when I see the Bootleg Series packaging displayed on amazon. Then I look at the prices, and my resistance stops wavering, until I start thinking that I don't really need to buy this or that next month. I would need to buy a turntable, however, and just the right kind of stylus. Hmm.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though it is a duplicate, I found an excellent early pressing (Guaranteed High Fidelity mono) of Dylan's first LP with Ex cover for $10. It's always fun to find one.

7. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I will one up your duplicate as I listen to Triplicate on my train commute into the city. Bob’s vocals and the deep bowing of the bass bring a little warmth to offset the freezing temperatures outside.

Tribute likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Try putting on some great jazz vocal album of the standards, and use your imagination to hear Dylan singing those same songs along with his band.

9. Before release I didn't have any plans to buy these recordings but the more I listen to them now the more rewarding they become.

[​IMG]

Trouble No More | The Bootleg Series | Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 - Bob Dylan (Columbia/Legacy) 2CD

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

I believe I posted this album already. I listened to it again on this rainy day. Dylan went back to some of his early 60's roots here. IMHO

[​IMG]

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hey, it's Dylan bootlegs what did expect? Great material I plan on getting this box soon. ;)

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Try taking one Dylan song, and pull together at least 20 versions from concerts spread through the NET tour years (1988 to present), and you will be amazed at the variations.

Next Big Thing likes this.
  13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Love this and the World Gone Wrong and feel lucky now to have had them
    back when they were released on cd. I think they can be relatively hard to come by sometimes. As for a Dylan listen, I'm in another one of those
    non Dylan cycles. Doesn't last long and I can't explain it, but as they say
    absence makes the heart grow fonder.

JRM likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

was digging the trio of songs with Happy Traum from Greatest Hits Vol. 2...a brilliant addition to that album.

Richard--W likes this.
  15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Live at The Gaslight 1962

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Cuckoo was first recorded by Clarence Ashley well before Dylan was born. Ashley played the clawhammer banjo, and he began performing at medicine shows in the Southern Appalachian region as early as 1910. This is incredible footage with a short interview from sometime in 1950s.

17. Richard--W

Nicely done on The Cuckoo, JRM. Thanks for posting the film clip.

Where is the best place to purchase previous entries in The Bootleg Series on vinyl now?
    I'm shopping for:

BS 4 Live 1966 Manchester
    -BS 5 Live 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue
    -BS 6 Live 1964 Concert at Philharmonic Hall
    -BS 7 No Direction Home

anyone have suggestions?

JRM likes this.
  18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Listening to the "pentagon" version of Caribbean Wind, for the first time in a while. It only confirms my memory that it's the best version by one million miles, even though the choruses are total garbage. It moves me, man.

Richard--W likes this.
  19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Currently listening to some 21st century Dylan...
    [​IMG]

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For all of us obsessed collectors, the best price would be to buy a little book on Taoism (new, maybe $10; used, maybe $1), or take it out of the library.

First read it and think about it.

Then we would realize we do not need everything.

I think settling for half of everything is a good first step.

21. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Listening to more 21st century Dylan....
    [​IMG]

Jerryb, Jackie P, Jim Walker and 4 others like this.
  22. Richard--W

My first wife said that to me once. She never let me have anything. Not even the filters I needed for work. How well I remember the night she handed me the basic Taoism handbook. "Tell me if this isn't ______," she said. I spent some time with the book and after a few days the subject came up as we sat down to dinner. She was having chicken, and I was having sea bass because I don't eat meat. There was also red-bean fried rice and noodles, Cajun style with corn on the cob. We had a bottle of an indifferent white table wine to wash it all down. "You're absolutely right," I said as I opened the window on my way to the table, "it is ________." "You actually read it," she exclaimed. "Well, you wanted to know," I answered. "But I didn't think you'd agree with me," she retorted sounding pleased, "we never seem to agree on anything." Then she got up from the table and closed the window. I liked to let the fresh air in during the spring evenings. "We agree on that," I replied as she resumed her seat and picked up a chicken wing. I slid my chair back noisily, went to the window and re-opened it halfway, a compromise. Then I reconsidered, and closed it further so that it was open only a couple of inches. Her eyes narrowed. She pointed a chicken wing at the window. "My food is going to get cold before I finish eating if you don't shut the _____ window," she stated flatly. That's a true story.

I had less than half of anything until I turned 50.
    Then I discovered a shopping list called The Steve Hoffman Forum and like ten years later I'm starting to satisfy my curiosity about a few things.
    All I need now is The Rolling Thunder Revue vinyl and the Live 1964 vinyl. I'm also getting the MoFi editions on vinyl and CD. Just the old stuff. In the end I will have much less than half of Dylan's output on vinyl because I don't want all of it. Plus some Sinatra. I also bought (used) Nino Rota's score to Franco Zefferelli's Romeo & Juliet (1968) which remains the best Shakespeare film ever made. Not the edition with the dialog, the one with the score only. That's okay with you, isn't it Tribute.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    RocknRoll and fredhammersmith like this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Totally agree. I drift in and out of Dylan, non Dylan cycles. But he is never far from my reach.

I love the guy!

Scope J likes this.
  24. Michael

I love Blond On Blond! so many great songs...

Adam9 likes this.
  25. Michael

me too...I play Desolation Row often both versions ...why? I don't know. LOL