Bob Dylan -- Live in San Diego '79

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Have you ever tried to eat $60? It means a minimum of two bills. A US Grant and a Hamilton. Maybe chop that green up into almost a powder, and mix it with some good green stuff. It's still tough. Remember to drink lots of fluids.

mrjinks likes this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I should add, if we get a surprise email in December announcing that all BD.com purchasers of BS13 will be getting a free download of, oh, I don't know -- let's just say Copyright Extension 1967 with all the JWH tapes -- all will be forgiven! :righton:

EDIT: A couple more complete shows (with raps) from 1979-1980 wouldn't be bad either.... :winkgrin:

Electric Sydney likes this.
  3. Don't forget the limited edition 18-CD Bootleg set that was outrageously priced. They've been juicing the fanatic Dylan collectors for several years unchecked.

redsock and Carserguev like this.
  4. Sean Murdock

No doubt, the Collector's Edition of BS12 was very expensive -- especially outside the U.S. -- but I still maintain that item for item, disc for disc, it was more reasonably priced than the deluxe Tell Tale Signs. For BS8, for the first time in Bootleg Series history, actual music -- presumably, the reason we're all Dylan fans in the first place -- was held hostage for an insane premium price. You could get the two-disc set for about $20, or the three-disc set for $100 -- an $80 dollar difference -- and the only "bonus" was a slipcase and a completely unrelated, completely unnecessary book of single sleeves. It was obnoxious on a level that Sony hasn't approached since. At least with BS13, everything included in that box was relevant to the project -- and really, when you go piece by piece, counting each CD, each vinyl single, each book and bit of ephemera, at least you can come up with a number approaching what they charged. And also, to me, part of that price was for "the experience" itself -- the ability to be a fly on the wall for the entirety of the sessions for three classic albums. And also, of course, we got the download for Copyright Extension 1965 as a "thank you" a month later.

I'll admit that maybe we've been "softened up" by Sony and Dylan Inc. by increasingly lavish box sets, to the point where $500 doesn't cause heart failure, when $100 (back in 2008) definitely caused widespread palpitations. But I think we've gotten more for our dollars since the Tell Tale Signs debacle, and really most of them have been priced pretty fairly, as long as you're not forced to pay list price at BD.com -- and that's the trap we fell into with BS13. If you paid $125 for it at Bull Moose or Amazon or wherever, that's really not bad for 8 CDs and a DVD and two nice books. But to get San Diego we had to pay full list price and shipping at BD.com -- and that turned out to be quite a bit more. I'll reserve judgement on the fairness of it all until we see if there are any December surprises coming for the fans who paid the premium.

5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I really wouldn't get my hopes up for a free copyright download. Last time they offered it was for those who purchased a $500 box that was exclusive to the site and they had the digital platform to deliver it fairly easily considering what was already built for the high res version of the box. They would essentially have to dust off the cobwebs of that platform or come up with something new which I just don't see happening for a freebie gift. Combined with the fact they've already stated (I think officially?) JWH outtakes will not be released this year, I just can't see this realistically happening. Hope I'm wrong.

mrjinks likes this.
  6. Sean Murdock

We'll see -- I have no idea, and am not counting on anything one way or the other.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think a live download of the tour is in the cards. That's disappointing. But every track in this box-set is sensational and rewards repeated listening. Especially San Diego '79.

All that packaging costs money. The Cutting Page Limited Deluxe big-blue box may have been a bit over-packaged, and that packaging had to be paid for. They wanted a presentation as big and important as the music. Makes sense to me. But they could have scaled back on the packaging without actually losing any of the contents while still conveying the importance of the occasion. I view Live 1966 -- 36 discs, was it -- as part of The Cutting Edge years, and closer to the packaging The Cutting Edge should have had. I recovered from the gouge after a few months, and the only downside remained the total lack of care and disrespect with which Live 1965 was treated. Pruned tapes. Low-grade mp3s. Several important concerts that they have missing. Downloads instead of hard media. If you wanted to stab Dylan's music in the back, make it seem less good than it really is, that's how you do it.

8. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It is the music that matters most, of course, but for those who have a, er, Bob-product problem/addiction, like me, the "Tell Tale Signs" saga was even worse than you make out. If that's possible! :)

Obviously, I purchased the 3CD set without batting an eyelid but simultaneously muttering underneath my breath, "Never again, Bob, never again.., well, not until the next time at least." After a while, actually 2 years or so in this case, as is my habit, I purchased the 2CD set. I was surprised that the 2CD set was not in a card slipcase with a separate thick booklet in keeping with BS's 4, 5, 6, and 7, but was actually a slimline jewel case with a slim 24-page booklet enclosed. Later still I bought the single CD set (another new concept in the Bootleg Series). Even more surprising this time around was that the single CD release included a 28-page booklet with a different layout and photos!

Research uncovered a terrible truth. The 2CD version of BS8 actually had been released in 2008 in a slipcase with a 60-page book similar to the previous 4 BS releases, but it had been re-issued in 2010 in a slim jewel case with a 24-page booklet; and that was the one I had bought. Clearly, I had to find the original 2CD set...

Result? I have eight discs of BS8, five of which are somewhat redundant. I blame no one except myself and my obsession for this.

And the music is fantastic - just as "Live in San Diego" is.

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I feel like I ate two hundred dollars over this awful box, thanks to this CD set I don't even like at all. Worst box set EVER.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's unfortunate. I guess you were buying on pure speculation without knowing Dylan. But you can make someone else very happy by selling it used or gifting it.

Heart of Gold and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This is one of the BEST box sets ever. I'll be enjoying it long after I forget how much I paid to it.

12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'd be glad to take the worst box set ever off your hands.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

And what, pray tell, would you consider the best box set EVER?

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

16. Dark Horse 77

Why not we

17. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

This set is brilliant

Prices still pretty mad on eBay

Richard--W and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  18. Dark Horse 77

I agree. I'm on my third listen just to San Diego. I haven't even gotten into the box set yet.

Richard--W likes this.
  19. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

San Diego just starting to click for me. I find it works much better through decent speakers than headphones. Solid Rock stands out in particular. The vocals are committed without sounding strained. The groove the band build towards is infectious. Almost a prototype disco.
    The better of the "Saved" recordings by some margin too overall. Although I do miss the slowed down outro of the 1980 live version.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  20. Dark Horse 77

It's a strong performance and I envy those who've never heard "Gospel" Bob before this set. I have a number of bootlegs from 1979, 1980 and 1981 so I wasn't surprised at all at how good this was. Still, it's really great to have this stuff released officially.

Richard--W likes this.
  21. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I completely agree. In a way I wish I hadn't been semi-binging on gospel boots a few years ago. While I love listening to this set - and there are some truly amazing moments that stop me in my tracks* (and not every show was booted) - but I'm not experiencing the surprise and awe that so many other posters are.

* - When Dylan barks "Listen!" in the studio outtake of Groom.

Dark Horse 77 and adriatikfan like this.
  22. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

That moment when San Diego 'Pressing On' becomes a contender for best performance on the whole damn set.
    But I now need to remember which version has the "Gotta keep movin'" line in it.

m0thra and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  23. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Just the opposite for me. I have not listened to San Diego yet. ... But it's coming. (And picking up speed!)

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wish I had San Diego to listen to.... sigh....

25. Is "San Diego" still available if you order the box from Dylan's site?
    I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm not seeing the SD disc which I really want to complete the package.

bonus likes this.