Bob Dylan -- Live in San Diego '79

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Nov 4, 2017.

1. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

Yep. Still here: Bob Dylan Official Music Store | Bob Dylan UK

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess Sony was stuck with the mix that came out of the board into the tape. It's not accurate. There was a brighter, snappier sound overall. There was a brightness in the keypboard-guitar interaction that I'm not hearing on the tape.

No doubt you're all thinking what a burning hot guitarist Fred Tackett was during this concert.

3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

SPECIAL UNRELATED ANNOUNCEMENT:-

After many months without a home "Electric Dylan" is back!

The format is much the same but Roger has made revisions to all the sections and, perhaps best of all for those who do not subscribe to ISIS magazine, he has included his six part forensic examination of "The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition" in the original PDF format! Even better, he has added "sticky note" revisions to those articles. (It is best to download the articles, because the digital "sticky notes" don't work too well on screen; the latest two, dealing with the BS7 sampler snippets, are a bit wonky on the downloads as well, but I expect Roger will get them sorted out before long.)

The whole thing remains a work-in-progress, but the site itself has been smoke-tested over the last month or so. All the links work on PC and on mobile devices. As always, Roger welcomes comments and corrections. He's not immune to praise, either!

Time to crack open Big Blue again!

Electric Dylan

#

4. Richard--W

The Big Blue box is always relevant, like Sinatra at Capitol.

I was hoping there'd be some kind of download offer for something special related to Trouble No More over the holidays, but ... I guess not.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

This has probably been answered somewhere but why did they (the producers of BS13) choose this particular night from San Diego to represent a 1979 concert?

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I don't think a specific reason was given but I believe I'm right in saying that much of this show wasn't in general circulation and so it was something new to most of us.

aoxomoxoa and bobcat like this.
  7. Richard--W

I can't help but wonder if the remarks I posted in the Bootleg Series 13 thread about the San Diego shows being the apogee of the 1979 tour had something to do with San Diego being announced several months later. Probably not. Too long a stretch. Wishful thinking along parallel lines.

What a terrific box-set those live 1979 cassette masters would make.

Trouble No More is selling really well, I gather and San Diego 1979 is being well-received (even in heavily edited form).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. Richard--W

Despite the pruning and headroom limitation I place Live in San Diego 1979 ahead of Before the Flood 1974, Hard Rain 1976, Real Live 1984, MTV Unplugged 1994 and perhaps ahead of a couple of other official live releases.

Where do some of you rate it in the list of official live releases?

jay.dee likes this.
  9. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Ive got Manchester '66, Live '75 and Hard Rain way ahead, but that's because they are basically on another planet.

SD '79 and Toronto '80 probably dead heat at the top of the 2nd division for me. (Toronto probably ahead on goal difference). Followed by Real Live, Unplugged, everything else and then Before The Flood.

10. It's a very good show verging on great at times. Easily worth hearing if you are a fan of this Dylan era. Hard to compare against many of the other live releases, as I was burnt out on them years ago. This live material is fresh for me.

11. Richard--W

The gospel concerts and sessions are beginning to win over the doubting thomases, now that a smidgeon of it has finally been released.

Budokan '78 has stayed fresh and vital for me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

For me too. :)
    I can take the insults.................... :hide:

13. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

My first post after being a regular browser of this excellent site for a couple of years. I'm not one to beg for attention, however nobody in my inner circle cares about this: I found an unopened "Live in San Diego" yesterday for $12 at a used shop. I have listened to it once. I can't comment yet on how it compares to the rest of the big BS13 box, but I'm glad to have it.

14. Richard--W

Why can't I have that kind of luck?
    I'll give you $30 for it plus postage.

15. I was so happy when I found someone selling a used BS 13 box with San Diego included for less than what most people paid for the box itself.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Gee, now it's opened.

Richard--W likes this.
  17. Wow, nice score! I thought I did well finding promo CDs for Bootleg Series 11 & 12 for a couple bucks a piece, but San Diego for $12 is a steal. Welcome to the forum.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

We could have used that sealed copy in a film of a surgeon extracting the CD from the sleeve without breaking the seal, using only a self-healing cut of one-sixteenth inch. Now, we can't do that.

Richard--W likes this.
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Hear, Hear!

redsock and Richard--W like this.
  20. Richard--W

I obtained some photos from San Diego 79. Will post in due course.

21. Richard--W

The thought occurs to me, wouldn't it be nice if the gospel singers opening set were released all by itself.
    They were remarkable, and their live set would make a fine and memorable album on CD and / or vinyl.

If they had branched off onto a tour of their own I'd have bought tickets.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The San Diego live is a 2CD set, not a single disc.

23. [QUOTE. Still here: Bob Dylan Official Music Store | Bob Dylan UK [/QUOTE]

I see they've added SD freebie into the main order now. When I bought mine it had a separate line as an item with no cost. Apparently, some clever bods found that you could delete the main order and just order the freebie. It would appear they've been rumbled - another caper foiled! Great set btw.

24. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I see they've added SD freebie into the main order now. When I bought mine it had a separate line as an item with no cost. Apparently, some clever bods found that you could delete the main order and just order the freebie. It would appear they've been rumbled - another caper foiled! Great set btw.[/QUOTE]
    This caper never ever actually worked. Some tried it but were foiled right at the beginning.

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

That’s kind of ridiculous- it’s bob Dylan- the album is called San Diego , it should be what he was about in San Diego that night or whatever - now if it’s just some songs pulled from the show on album called “Bobs live performances volume 1” than yes leave out the gospel if you wish, but it’s specific to this particular show