Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Johan1880 likes this.
  2. Orange T-Rex

Orange T-Rex Forum Resident

Just chiming in to say that the mono MoFi BIABH is an absolute revelation...wow, just wow. And I lucked out by finding #597 at my local indie record store (not that I get too hung up on such matters though). So glad I gritted my teeth and plunked down the jing for it, even though it was more than I would have paid online. Now on to H61R...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

What was the revelation? Do you have the stereo?

4. Orange T-Rex

Orange T-Rex Forum Resident

My post was more of a knee-jerk sense of how great the MoFi mono vinyl sounded compared to my memory of other versions I have heard. But to nail my opinions down a little better, tonight I did some A/B testing among the three copies I own, the only vinyl being the MoFi 45rpm mono copy I just bought (so there's that). The other two sources are the 2003 stereo remaster and the Sony mono box version, both on CD. The differences are really interesting. Compared to the two CD sources, on the MoFi mono vinyl the various instruments are easier to discern from one another, there is greater front-to-back depth in the soundstage (more of a 3D sense of air and space), and the highest and lowest frequencies are easier to hear, as are the articulations and inflections of the instruments and Dylan's voice; I think all those aspects combined to give me that sense of revelation. So the Sony mono box CD is more cluttered and congested sounding, with less depth and detail and a more ratty, mid-heavy frequency profile. All of those attributes give the Sony mono box CD a more ramshackle, haphazard, and impolite sound, which some folks may actually prefer, particularly on the more raucous electric songs; interestingly, the Sony mono CD does control Bob's vocal sibilants a little better than the MoFi mono vinyl, but not by much. In short, I'm glad I have both, and I am considering getting the Sundazed 33rpm mono vinyl, both for lazier vinyl listening and to hear yet another mono mastering of BIABH (but the Sony mono vinyl box is tempting!). All things considered though, I expect the MoFi 45rpm mono vinyl to be my #1 BIABH source unless I am feeling particularly lazy.

Regarding the 2003 stereo remaster CD, it reminded me that I prefer BIABH in mono (very artificial panning in the stereo), and it also has a very flat front-to-back soundstage and a generally sloppy and unnatural frequency profile compared to the mono sources. So it tripped and fell shortly after leaving the starting gate. :)

Rickchick and My Home Townes like this.
  5. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Ok, I am going to buy the first 4 mono 45rpm MOFI based on the comments here. Thanks to those who provided insights. It did help that Elusive Disc had the 20% off bringing the price down to 39.99 each. My wallet and my wife will question the need for yet another copy of these, but this is Bob Dylan we are talking about here!!

Jam757, Rickchick and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

I just picked up the Dylan BIABH mono MFSL and H61. These were near-revelatory for me. I cracked a smile (which is not common for this cynical and bitter old man) when I heard the beginning of Subterranean Homesicl Blues. There was a clarity and as someone mentioned before the low end on this record is so good and comes across in great detail.

For H61 I am on the fence. Some of the same things come across the mix as they do in BIAH but I think I just might prefer the stereo mix on this one.

Any thoughts on the MOFI stereo Blonde on Blonde? Will the mono version if/when it comes out trump the stereo one currently available? I have yet to hear a mono mix of this other than the Apple Music digital files.

Rickchick likes this.
  7. I'm on the fence where the stereo Blonde On Blonde is concerned. I have it but prefer the Sony mono. The MFSL stereo is very good, certainly, but I wasn't in awe of it like I am the MFSL mono's.

sailingsinkingships likes this.
  8. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Anyone straight up compare the Mofi BIABH mono and stereo? Any thoughts?

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just received the monos of Times, Bringing & 61 today.
    Listening to Bringing now. Sounds remarkably good. Some tracks like Maggie's are so smooth it might take some getting used to as I'm so used to it being strident. Tambourine Man sounds spectacular as did 115 Dream. Bleeding is on now - the guitar sound is fantastic. Baby Blue is beautiful.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  10. chacha

Krieg Wunderlich is the best thing to happen to MFSL in my book.

Tommyboy and FashionBoy like this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The mono SACD of Bringing it all Back Home is now shipping!

12. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I wish they'd hurry up & release the mono vinyl of the debut, Freewheelin' and Another Side Of!

Rickchick and chacha like this.
  13. chacha

Me too!

14. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

"me too me too
    I am a lot like you":tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  15. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I wonder how these mono Mofi's will stack up against the 2010 box set...

16. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Music Direct has a 20% off deal going on now so I decided to pre-order the remaining three Mono LP's. Pretty good deal to get them for $40 a pop! At least I think so. Looking forward to hearing them. I've got the other four at home wondering what they're going to do with Blonde on Blonde? When will that be announced?

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If Mobile Fidelity didn't include Blonde on Blonde with the others, I highly doubt they'll ever issue it in mono.

19. chacha

Include with the others?

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sorry, meant with the other mono LPs.

Perhaps I misunderstood? Are we talking about the discount or whether or not a mono Blonde on Blonde is being reissued?

21. chacha

Are you thinking they are unable to license B&B? That might be the case. More likely to me is that they're taking their time but who knows.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Purely speculative.

chacha likes this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

I recently bought Bringing and Highway and my experience is quite like yours! These really do sound great. I have the MFSL stereo 45s also. I like both but if I was going to buy just one it would be the mono.

My copy of Highway is number 92 which I know means nothing from a quality or sonic standpoint. Bringing is number 944. FWIW.

Since they are only making 3000, these will be highly sought after someday I expect.

Rickchick and chacha like this.
  24. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Until they release the 33.3rpm mono versions produced via an upgraded audio chain the following year :D

(sorry, should have prefaced that with 'spoiler alert', I've seen this movie before, LOTS of times!)

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

No "spoiler alert" needed. I've seen it also. I've also seen it crash and burn after lots of hoopla.

Anyway, these sound great.