Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s a Cold Fold!

mne563 likes this.
  2. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Lol, cold as ice.

mne563 likes this.
  3. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Seems Like A Freeze Out

4. As I said waaaay back in this very thread, the MFSL Mono kills the Sony box. Once heard you'll forget the Sony Mono box very quickly.

Bryce likes this.
  5. Has anyone checked the MFSL New Morning LP or SACD against either the current CD (2009 remaster) or the Sony / MOV LP's?

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

A while ago I reviewed the MoFi SACD against the Sony 2009 remaster and the original CD and it came out on top, easily.

Joey_Corleone and SteveM like this.
  7. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Which came out on top for you?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, the MoFi SACD.

nightenrock likes this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Finally got around to playing the MOFI 2x45 Desire. Was pleasantly surprised! I always hated the sound of the Columbia LP. This sounds much better.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Freewheelin’ mono 2x45 is in stock and shipping from Music Direct.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I think it's the best this one has ever sounded.

DeRosa likes this.
  12. chacha

Excellent!
    I wonder what took so long?

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. chacha

Hopefully Another Side and the first album are soon to follow.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why did it take 3-4 years for MoFi to reissue Kind if Blue? A 13 month wait for Freewheelin’ ain’t too shabby in comparison. Maybe we’ll get the first album towards the end of the year!

chacha likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Question for the Dylan experts here - is the mono tape for this Freewheelin' really the original master?
    I've read previously that not all the early tapes are useable, or even still archived.
    what's the story of the stereo vs mono masters being in the best condition for the first 3 or 4 albums?

16. ssmith3046

Good question. The album cover has original master recording on it so that is supposed to mean the original master was used. The description for the album also states that the original tapes were used.

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I noticed the Stereo version of the Bob Dylan debut album doesn't have the "Original Master Recording" banner,
    it's got the 'Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab' banner.

The Stereo of "Another Side of Bob Dylan" has the OMR banner. Will the mono? Guess we'll find out eventually.

The Stereo of "Times They Are A-Cangin' also has only the 'Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab', no master?
    But the mono has the "Original Master Recording"... that's good.

Maybe the Debut album doesn't have the master available in either mono or stereo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Ok, geeked out a bit on discogs, and listed the titles with their banner, indicating the tape ( if you believe them)
    I'm actually a bit surprised how many are not masters, but fortunately most of these sound great (IMHO)
    So it looks like Highway 61 is the only title so far where neither version is the mastertape,
    will the Debut album be another?

OMR - Original Master Recording
    MFSL - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (copy?)
    TBA - not yet released

stereo tape titles
    MFSL Bob Dylan
    OMR The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    MFSL The Times They Are A-Changin'
    OMR Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    OMR Bringing It All Back Home
    MFSL Highway 61 Revisited
    OMR Blonde On Blonde
    OMR John Wesley Harding
    MFSL Nashville Skyline
    MFSL New Morning
    OMR Blood On The Tracks
    OMR Planet Waves
    OMR Desire
    OMR Bob Dylan & The Band - Basement Tapes

Mono tape titles
    TBA - Bob Dylan
    OMR The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    OMR The Times They Are A-Changin'
    TBA - Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    MFSL Bringing It All Back Home
    MFSL Highway 61 Revisited
    OMR John Wesley Harding

jfeldt, Tom34772, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  19. ssmith3046

I was comparing a few albums from the mono box to the MFSL 45s this morning. The mono box is a great release but I think that the MFSL reissues are the winners. It's all about personal preference. I have an early mono pressing of Blonde on Blonde with Claudia Cardinale in the gatefold and it's my go to for that release.

mikeyt, jgrillo, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think it is great that they are so forthcoming about the use or not of the original tapes, unlike some other reissue labels. However, I would not put too much importance on it. If the original master is lost or destroyed, then the second best tape becomes the defacto master.

I bet Sony put their Dylan tapes library in order for the 2003 reissue series. It would seem they got all the available multitracks, the best stereo and mono master tapes, etc... I guess that's what they are lending to MoFi, so, no reason not to trust them. After all, they could put the OMR banner on all their titles...

OptimisticGoat, Tommyboy and DeRosa like this.
  21. Gabe Walters

The new mono Freewheelin’ is great.

22. Gabe Walters

More details: my copy of the mono Freewheelin’ has an exceptionally low noise floor—one of the lowest I have ever heard on vinyl. This allows all the details of Dylan’s guitar playing to come forward, and I’m hearing those intricacies more clearly than before. He doesn’t get enough credit for his guitar playing, in my opinion. The timbre and presence of his voice are spooky. I’m not big on showing off my decidedly mid-fi or lower gear, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes a demo disc.

23. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Freewheelin' mono or stereo version on 45 RPM?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. chacha

Disappointed that Music Direct is not offering the new mono vinyl Freewheelin at discount which they do with all the other MoFi. What’s up with that? Kinda makes me wish I pre ordered it ages ago for 20% off.

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

For me personally, I prefer the mono versions of the first 4 lps that have mainly Bob unaccompanied.
    The hard panned voice/guitar/harmonica doesn't really work for me.

Starting with "bringing it all back home" I went with the Stereo versions from then on.

mikeyt likes this.