Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

No sticker.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

More sound comparison reports please.
    :)

jgrillo, teag and mikeyt like this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I got my mono Freewheelin' today number 2692 from Diverse Vinyl in the UK. Shrinkwrapped with the perforated opening and no sticker. Sorry not yet played it but I am sure it will be very good if not superb.

4. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

no sticker here either

5. chacha

I’m surprised that so few have bought and commented on the sound of the new mono Freewheelin here.

6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Okay.
    This is the post that sold me.
    I'm buying the vinyl.

bluejimbop, chacha and Gabe Walters like this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Picked it up today. Only have the Sundazed mono vinyl to compare but hope to give it a spin this week.

chacha likes this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Initial impressions, Mono Freewheelin is killer. Quick A/B of the first track with the Sundazed is no contest. The Sundazed is a little hot on my system, with some distortion on vocal peaks on Blowin' (I do need to optimize alignment on my cart, which I recently installed). The MOFI is smoother and more tonally rich. Easier on the ears. The resonance in the guitar body sounds incredible. Detailed and really beautiful.

Another winner in this series. Highly recommended.

9. chacha

Nice!
    I wish MusicDirect would discount this. Hope this isn’t going to be trend with them for new releases.

10. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I do the same thing. I like it that way. I get a bunch of albums at a time that way and it's like Christmas with a musical theme. What more could a music buff want?

Ya have to wonder why none of the Freewheelin' albums have the Limited Edition of 3000 stickers on them. The Time They Are-a Changin' have them also, why not Freewheelin'? It isn't a dealbreaker of course, but it is curious.

I haven't opened Freewheelin' yet, but The Times They Are-a-Changin" was quite well done. I'm waiting for my new cartridge to arrive before opening any other new albums. It's a huge step up and I want to be mentally blown away. It will also be a good time to do a direct shootout between the MOFI 45 RPM mono and the Sundazed mono box set albums. The Times sounded really good, but it didn't clearly blow the Sundazed out of the water. The new cartridge should provide far better detail and nuance. Linn Adikt vs. Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru. Not much of a contest. Boy, am I psyched! :D:goodie:

Echoes Myron, ssmith3046 and chacha like this.
  11. chacha

Cool. I’ve always wanted to hear a Koestsu. Congrats!

12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Every time I play Freewheelin’, I am so grateful it was recorded so well.

bluejimbop, jgrillo, Tom34772 and 3 others like this.
  13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I always like these sales where you can't buy what you really want. :biglaugh:

14. Joey_Corleone

Spinning the mono Freewheelin vinyl now. Stunning. Just stunning. Best I have ever heard.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, who the heck cares about that?!?!

Did you get a mono sticker on yours or not??

sjaca, Joey_Corleone, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  16. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Indeed: no sticker, no sale

chacha likes this.
  17. chacha

If I could only get some notarized written guarantee of a sticker, then I could fork over my $50 .

18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Are you one of those guys that carefully saves the sticker after you peel the shrinkwrap? Or do you leave the shrinkwrap in place, too? Or maybe you don't open and play the album at all. ;)

19. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This was a variation on an inside joke I stole from the Pink Floyd thread where the marbles that came with the immersion boxes caused hilarious conversations.

Actually I'm one of those guys who triple dipped for this title: the Sony mono box, the Mofi stereo and now the Mofi mono. I throw away the shrink-wrap after I decide I keep a record. Anyway: the Mofi stereo is the best in my opinion, so the mono is on the sale/trade shelf (in the Mofi sleeve, sans sticker ;))

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. chacha

Curious about what you like better about the stereo than mono

mikeyt likes this.
  21. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. It seems a natural to prefer this album in mono.

22. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

That's our saying about Macy's coupons around here - Not valid on anything you actually want to buy.

23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I just bought Freewheelin' mono 45rpm instead of 33.3.
    I know it should be obvious, but what difference does 45rpm make?
    Somebody explain the technical.

24. Joey_Corleone

There are threads on this here and good articles that can explain better if you google, but basically my understanding is it boils down to this - At 45 RPM, you have more vinyl real-estate to work with for a given period of time, resulting in better fidelity.

For example, take 1 second of music. At 45 RPM, the amount of vinyl passing under the needle to reproduce that second is more than at 33 RPM.

Also, grooves toward the center of a record will have more curvature, and a slower relative velocity than at the edge, which is bad for higher frequencies and higher levels. The problem is dealt with better at 45 RPM, because even though the velocity is still slower than at the edge, at 45 RPM, the problem is less evident. 45 RPM I think is the optimal speed for the best fidelity. The trade off of course, is less play time per side.

Read: The Joy of 45 Collecting: Why 45s Sound Better Than LPs

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not really. Vocals are mostly if not all centered on the stereo. And I love and have hundreds of mono records so this is not a mono panning!

soundQman and Tommyboy like this.