Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Not a mono one... I bet it would be there fastest sell-out (short of MoFi picking up a Beatles, Zeppelin or Pink Floyd title).

2. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

That is annoying my copy of Another Side already shipped.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Same. I don’t know why they didn’t ship them together.

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

One final detail, piece of the puzzle as it were, it that both Bob Dylan, and Another Side
    have "original master recording" banners on the jacket, indicating there are from the master tapes.

So, that completes the range and we know according to Mofi, here's the summary of the source tapes
    of the seven titles in the series offered in both mono and stereo. The only master missing completely
    is Highway 61, both stereo and mono. The other tape copies are the stereo Times They are A'Changin;,
    and the mono Bringing it all Back home. Of Stereo only titles, Nashville Skyline was cut from a copy.

Year . Title. Run time . stereo tape . mono tape

1962 . Bob Dylan Debut . 36 min. MFSL. OMR

1963 .Freewheelin' Bob Dylan .50 min .OMR .OMR

1963 Times They Are A-Changin' 45 min. MFSL.OMR

1964 Another Side Of Bob Dylan . 50 min. OMR.OMR

1965 Bringing It All Back Home .47 min. OMR. MFSL

1965 Highway 61 Revisited .49 min. MFSL. MFSL

1967 John Wesley Harding . .39 min. OMR.OMR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks for this interesting summary.
    Do you remember for which album(s) they used a modern remix? I think the stereo BIABH. Maybe Another Side?

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Nice. My local has the two new monos. Will be picking up today.

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

One correction from the previous post, i transcribed an error, the Stereo version
    of John Wesley Harding is actually not from the master tape:

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think those two in stereo and Blonde On Blonde stereo only on mofi; which all have the OMR btw.

Plan9 likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I had to order the new mono 45's to fill out the collection. I'm listening to a few of the 33 mono albums from the Dylan original mono box set and these records really sound great. I had forgotten what a nice release this was.

Tim 2 and mikeyt like this.
  10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

It might be worth noting that if it doesn't have OMR as the banner it doesn't necessarily mean it was for sure not from the master tape, it means they weren't using the master tape OR they weren't able to verify it was the master tape for sure.

George P and marcb like this.
  11. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Popped on Music direct tonight and was shocked and excited to see that the last two mono 45 RPM LP’S show available (self titled and another side), then I was like please, take my money!!! :wiggle:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Anyone received the MoFi mono self titled and Another Side yet?

13. Gabe Walters

Yeah. They sound good.

chacha likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

This is an initial impression only, but I think MOFI nailed it again. Dylan was well recorded, and the reproduction on these releases (s/t and Another Side, mono) is eerily lifelike.

mpayan, mikeyt and Joey_Corleone like this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have no idea what the normal limit is, but my Allison Krause Live box was numbered 6106, I think.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  16. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I got mine but if at all possible I would like to keep them intact until I get a mono cartridge. I have only opened up the copy of The Times They Are-a Changin' and with a stereo cartridge it doesn't blow me away. It's quite good, better than the Sony/Legacy Box Set, but it's hard to tell just how much better without the proper equipment.

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would doubt a mono cartridge would make much difference in playing these. Unless it’s a substantially better cartridge then your stereo one.

marcb likes this.
  18. Joey_Corleone

Playing another side now...Sounds awesome. Very natural, smooth, and warm. Very happy as usual and can’t wait to play the debut LP.

I think generally the 45RPM MoFi’s are THE reference for Dylan now. I do think they beat out the SACD’s at least on my system. It’s hard to tell, because my phono stage and turntable are definitely better than my digital front end.

Turntable is a Rega RP10 with Aphetta 2 MC going into a McIntosh c1100 pre. My digital is Roon to a raspberry pi running Roon bridge, then USB to a McIntosh d1100 DAC then to the same c1100 pre. The bottleneck in my digital chain would definitely be the $30 Raspberry pi lol

With that said, on my system the vinyl are definitely warmer.

I love the Sony mono box. If you can’t find or don’t want to splurge on mint originals, and you want exact replica’s that is a GREAT way to go. I still cherish it. But, the MoFi’s to me have the best sound of any Dylan remasters I have heard.

I REALLY hope they come full circle with this campaign and release a mono Blonde on Blonde. It’s so cruel to people like us to do ALL of them but BoB in mono :p

Joey

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  19. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I've just finished playing both the latest Mono 45's and they sound wonderful.

chacha likes this.
  20. dylan1974

dylan1974 Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend an online retailer that won’t completely fleece a Canadian order?

21. FWIW, Kops on both Queen and Danforth stock MOFI Dylan and order MOFI titles.

dylan1974 likes this.
  22. dylan1974

dylan1974 Forum Resident

Great!! I’m very familiar with Kops! Thanks!

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Just use a double-Y cord between your phono stage and pre-amp. Gets you about 95%+ of what a mono cart will get you for a miniscule fraction of the cost and hassle.

Kubricker and Bigbudukks like this.
  24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Diamond Groove.

dylan1974 likes this.
  25. Joey_Corleone

Just cracked open my self titled mono LPs today. Amazing sound! Mono has always been the only way to play this record, and MoFi has done it again.

I am playing on my stereo cart, but everything is set up in my room very precisely and I sit dead center. Sounds awesome. There is a very real “live” sound to this recording.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Tom34772 likes this.