DCC Archive Bob Dylan Question for the Board

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

I need some help in getting the right LP issues of some older Bob Dylan stuff...specifically I'm interested in these:

The Times They Are A-Changing.
    Bringing it All Back Home
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Nashville Skyline
    The Freewheeling Bob Dylan

Do one of you audiophile-types have an opinion on the Columbia LP's versus the recent Sundazed re-issues...also are the Columbia 180 gm Lp's in stereo? I think I read somewhere that the Sundazed issues are in mono....

As always, grateful in advance for the knowledge of others and their willingness to share it!

God Bless and Happy New Year!

Ben
    [​IMG]

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Ben ]

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Owning the Sundazed issues in all their MONO "authenic" glory is enough to get them NOW before Sony or Robert changes their mind.

If you find mono or Stereo 2-eye Columbias, then that's just cake, as far as collecting. I can't wait until Blonde On Blonde comes out on Sundazed, Mono.

Don't miss out. I have them all so far, and I love them.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

Hey, Sckott...thanks so much for replying as I really respect your opinon on these things...

Another question - were these early Dylan albums all recorded in mono only - if so, how do we account for the DCC Gold of "Revisited?"

Are the Columbia issues in mono or stereo?

Thanks in advance...have a safe and happy new year!

Ben

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

As was fairly common practice in the 60's, the Bob Dylan albums were issued in BOTH mono and stereo versions in the 60's. Stereo records were not considered compatible with the common mono stylus. By the late 60's, most people had (at least) compatible equipment.

Also as was the custom in the 60's, the mono versions were mixed directly from the multi-tracks to mono, the stereo versions were mixed directly from the multitracks to stereo. This resulted in two differing mixes of the same sessions. If you want to be a completist - you should have both.

But be warned - Bob Dylan 60's albums were released in multilple mixes. See:
    Electric Dylan, especially interesting are the "Blonde on Blonde articles.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Uncle Al ]

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Uncle Al ]

5. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

The Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab release of The Times They Are A-Changin' is very nice.
    It is on LP and cassette, both in stereo. Easily superior to the official CD--you can tell in 2 seconds.

I've listened only to Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited on Sundazed. Both mono. The bass on Bringing It All Back Home is something to hear--vastly better than the stereo CD. I am willing to bet that once you heard the Sundazed, you would never listen to the standard CD again!

I have The Times They Are A-Changin' from Sundazed but haven't played it yet. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan was just released. Sundazed was planning on putting out the first album, Bob Dylan, but they put out Freewheelin' instead.

The worst thing to listen to in stereo is the first album. You've got Bob's voice on one speaker and his harmonica on the other!!!

Mono is really the only way to go on the first four all-solo records. Whether you like mono or stereo better on the next few is up to you. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Sundazed mono LP for Bringing It All Back Home, the DCC stereo CD of Highway 61 Revisited, and the SACD of Blonde On Blonde.

I haven't bought any of Sony's own 180-gram reissues, which are all in stereo, so I don't know how they compare to their early pressings. I would like to believe they'd be better than pressings in the 70s and 80s though.

Sony's regular Dylan CDs could be a lot better. There were some already remastered a couple years back but never issued. Maybe they did a good job, and maybe not. Some day we may find out.

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Roger Ford, creator of the aforementioned "Eclectic Dylan" site, has indicated to me that he prefers the original mono UK vinyl of BIABH to the mono Sundazed issue.

I don't have any of the Sundazed titles yet, but I plan on getting them. If you wind up buying original mono vinyl, you generally won't pay through the nose as bad as you would for, say, the Beatles. I paid around $15 for "Another Side of" on the GHF label. Later mono Dylan, of course, is a different story.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

While the stereo on the first album is a bit strange, I believe the stereo mixes of the next few albums are near mono anyway. Just a bit of stereo echo and such. Or maybe some *slight* panning. But not the hard left-right mix.

FWIW, I *think* the vocal and harmonica were in one channel and guitar in the other...

8. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Patrick,
    I've got a fine CDR of the UK mono Bringing It All Back Home. To my ears, there isn't much difference between it and the new Sundazed. I actually prefer the Sundazed slightly, but I'd be happy with either one.

The key factor may very well be the availability. Right now you can get a brand new sealed Sundazed for $15. You're very unlikely to find a mid-60s pressing that has never been played, and if you did, it should be worth more than $15.

9. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Luke,
    You're right about vocal and harmonica in one channel, and guitar in the other channel on the first album. Sorry I remembered it wrong.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Paul's right; At $15 for each of the Sundazed, they're a bargain, and done suprisingly well. Even if you collect a bit of Dylan, buying these won't let you down. Although in MONO, you'd avoild buying the Simply Vinyl issues of the same titles for $30/a pop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.