Bob Dylan remasters in September ICE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Just to alert board members that the new issue of ICE features an extensive article on the upcoming SACD remasters of 15 Dylan titles. When combined with the (mostly) glowing comments about the sound quality on the SACD sampler from MASKED AND ANONYMOUS, this article fuels my optimism that Sony might actually get this right...

The biggest news in the article may be that, due to the condition of the original masters, ANOTHER SIDE OF BOB DYLAN and BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME were both remixed from the original multi-tracks. Also, confirmation that the stereo mix on BLONDE ON BLONDE is the same one that was used on the '99 SACD.

The article also addresses the frequently heard question that people have asked about *why* ANOTHER SIDE OF BOB DYLAN was chosen as one of the discs to remix into 5.1, when it only features Bob performing solo.

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

No word on mono? :(

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sadly, I think there are only a few of us out here (in comparason to the world) he give 2 cents about the mono mixes. I wish they would have set a good example by including them but alas nada.

Does anyone have a link or any information about this first group being released as an optional box collection??

Todd

4. DeeThomaz

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The ad in the same issue makes no mention of a box set. Also, the article makes no mention of the previous quad versions of Nashville Skyline, Desire & Planet waves, and why they were not used on the corresponding CDs. It seems only a new stereo remix qualified an LP getting the 5.1 treatment. This just sucks.

BTW, the remix of Bringing It All Back Home will probably please everybody, because I A-B'd the track from the sampler with the old CD, and I couldn't even TELL it was a remix. I just thought it was a great remastering, because all instrument placement was the same!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The SEPTEMBER Issue Of ICE is out already?
    Are all the original mixes going to be included?. I didn't see the ICE article...

7. DeeThomaz

Yep. Just came in the mail yesterday. David Bowie is on the cover.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I just checked my August issue and its says..SEPTEMBER mails on August 2nd...WOW! They are stepping it up...Thanks.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No original mix for Another Side, Bringing or Blonde

10. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Apparently Michael Brauer is doing the remixes of BIABH (and I thought Highway 61 Revisited), but when he remixed Blone on Blonde for the 1999 SACD he attempted to duplicate the stereo mix. So, chances are that he'll do the same thing with the new titles.

11. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I noticed this article touts the Dylan discs as the first Hybrid SACD's that Sony Music has ever released. Somebody should remind their PR departement about the recent Heart live SACD release.:rolleyes:

The same issure of ICE has a short blurb for those interested in the Deluxe Edition of The Allman Brothers Band Live At Fillmore East: "So what UME has done for this Deluxe Edition is bring together every inch of the ABB material ever released from the Fillmore East concerts and newly remastered the original mixes."

12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

when is the Allman Bros. UME coming out? Is there a track list?

are all the tracks original Tom Dowd mixes? i hope they don't use his later 1992 digital mixes--they sounded too thin.

13. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I got mine last Wednesday, the 5th. It's a very large issue, as well. I usually don't get mine until around the middle of the month.

14. Matt

Matt New Member

The original Drake masterings of the Fillmore material is still the best, and I doubt the new Deluxe Edition will top them since Drake did them so well. Just pick up the old two disc Fillmore East, Eat A Peach, and if you want to go the extra mile, the Dreams box set, and you've got the best. The box may be pricey, but the older editions of those other CD's can be found really, really cheap.

The MFSL's are really good, too, if you don't mind the different mix on Fillmore East.

15. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Still waiting for my September ICE ...:mad:

But, on the web site today, a writeup on the Dylan stuff. Interesting, the 5.1 mixes were mixed to analog (see end quotes):

In the current issue of ICE (#198/September), we discuss Columbia/Legacy’s 15 upcoming Bob Dylan Hybrid SACDs at length. Due in stores on September 16, the titles range from 1963’s Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan up through Dylan’s most recent album, last year’s Love and Theft.

Six of the albums have actually been remixed into 5.1 surround sound as well, and Steve Berkowitz, Senior VP of A&R for Legacy Recordings, walks us through much of the detail in the ICE article. What follows are a few unused excepts that we didn’t have space for.

Berkowitz was talking about the simple way in which 1964’s Another Side of Bob Dylan was recorded, on the three-track master tape. "In a way, it was the beginning of stereo," he tells ICE. "On track one, you had Bob Dylan’s guitar. Track two: Bob Dylan’s vocal. Track three: the exact same track as track one. They just took a ‘Y’ cord and sent the same thing to one and three. So it’s someone’s idea of stereo. Bob’s standing, it seems, about a foot away from the microphone, and you’ve got a big kind of echo in the room."

"That album and John Wesley Harding have been the hardest ones [to master for SACD]. And Bringing It All Back Home because it’s such a cacophony. There are all kinds of guitars, tambourines and cymbals floating around the room that we were mixing and mastering [for surround sound], going, ‘It’s too busy, it’s too busy.’ You have to put on your 1965 ears to some degree, but that’s tough, too."

Regarding Blonde on Blonde, Berkowitz says, "Here you have a four-track [master] tape that was done in two different places; you have a tape that’s in rough shape, the oxide is falling off. We had to go through all kinds of means to patch things, from mono tapes to an eight-track cartridge master from original LPs, because there are literally parts of the oxide that you can see right through the tape."

Jump ahead 13 years and you have Slow Train Coming, another title selected for the 5.1 Surround-Sound treatment. "Those tapes were the most delicious of all the tapes," Berkowitz says. "What [producers Jerry] Wexler and [Barry] Beckett did in Muscle Shoals… those tapes were in magnificent shape. They’re so even and recorded so well, and that band played so great, the musicianship is at such a high level, and in this case recorded so immaculately. It sounds like they did it yesterday."

As for Love and Theft, another surround title, Berkowitz states the obvious when he tells us, "The tapes are fresh. 24 tracks. The CD layer is exactly the same CD layer that’s been available. Nothing was changed; it’s the exact same digital master.

"Oh, I should tell you this: all of the 5.1 mixes were mixed to two-inch, analog, eight-track tape. There’s this new electronics called Aria Electronics, and in this case Brauer, Scheiner, Chris Shaw - we all agreed on it, and everybody used it. It’s a two-inch tape head but it only has eight tracks. Which makes for a fantastic signal.

"A great benefit of SACD is the adaptability of it; whether you wanna hear it in 5.1 or the original two-track mix, bang, there it is. Just press the button."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.