Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I just bought this set for 117.00 Canadian funds, so I am late to the party.
    From reading recent posts, I think I am going to listen to the Birmingham show.
    I listened to disc one(Sidney acoustic).

2. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Yes, twice. And then all the bootlegs to see what was missing. It was fun, and I occasionally still put all the acoustic sets or all electric sets into a random playlist and see what comes up. I enjoy the differences between each show (sometimes for better, sometimes for worse) and I know I'll revisit it (though probably not the audience tapes) in order in the future, too.

adm62 likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Twice through for the entire box for me as well, and then I've gone back for a third trip to selected shows. At the moment I'm giving it all a rest, with "Shot of Love" getting a lot of my attention.

4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

What is your favorite show out of the set?

5. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Rephrase it for me then, Ben dear boy, to make the statement more understandable to the idiots around here (and on ER, of course). Show us all your prowess in grammatical correctness. :tiphat: I mean, is Camden that bad, these days?

6. Percy Song

I have - chronologically, after being unable to resist RAH1, RAH2 and Paris in early November last year.

I'm starting again today, 05 Feb 2017, with White Plains, 05 Feb 1966, followed tomorrow, 06 Feb 2017, by Pittsburgh 06 Feb 1966. I predict May 2017 will be a busy month for me.

7. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I'm going to try and do this too; and write about it over at ER. We'll see how it goes. May could be exhausting.

Percy Song likes this.
  8. ZebraC

ZebraC Forum Resident

Folks,

From all the video out there, it’s possible to recreate a pretty complete Bob Dylan 1966 show, with an acoustic jam interlude too.

Here is the video that I know of, listing where it can be found and the original venues The video is mainly from No Direction Home and Eat the Document, of course, plus some other sources, such as the newly released 12-minute promotional video, The untold story of the live recordings.

Thanks to all the crowdsourcing here re the venues, etc. All corrections, fixes additions, welcome.
    Also, could anyone post or share the promo video of Mr. Tambourine Man with more verses? I’ve read about it but can’t locate it.

-----------------

Bob Dylan on film – live in concert, 1966

Visions of Johanna (NDH)
    (first verse, London, May 26; then third verse, from Newcastle, May 21)

Visions of Johanna (Untold story)
    (first verse, Belfast, May 6)

Desolation Row (Untold story)
    (Paris, May 24, intro, “My electric guitar never goes out of tune.” ... “You’re so wonderful.”)

Desolation Row (NDH)
    (Dublin, May 5)

Just like a woman (complete, Vimeo)
    (Dublin, May 5)

Mr. Tambourine Man (NDH)
    (May 6, opening chorus and first verse)
    (2 other verses available on NDH promo video)

Mr. Tambourine Man (ETD)
    (Newcastle, May 21)

Mr. Tambourine Man (UK Real-Time News, brief)
    (http://mashable.com/2016/11/02/bob-dylan-1966-tour-unseen-images/#RMyZlRFQ8Oqw)

Backstage, Cardiff, Wales, May 11
    /w-Johnny Cash

I’m so lonesome I could cry (NDH)
    I still miss someone (ETD)

Hotel room, Glasgow, May 19 (all ETD)
    What kind of friend is this?
    On a rainy afternoon (Does she need me?)
    I can’t leave her behind

If I was a king (Untold story)

Crawl out your window (Untold story)
    (acoustic, soundcheck, London, May 26)

Tell me momma (NDH)
    (Belfast; May 6; Paris, May 24)

Tell me momma (Untold story)
    (Paris, May 24, but different footage than NDH)

Tell me momma (ETD)
    (Liverpool, May 14; Paris, May 24; Sheffield, May 16)

End of Tell me momma (w/D.A. Pennebaker on stage) (Untold story)
    (Glasgow, 5/19 or Edinburgh, 5/20)

I don’t believe you (ETD)
    (Cardiff, May 11)

Baby let me follow you down (NDH)
    (Newcastle, May 21)

Baby let me follow you down (ETD)
    (Liverpool, May 14)

Just like Tom Thumb’s blues (NDH)
    (NDH- intro “These are all protest songs... It's not British music. It's American music,” from London, May 26; into Belfast, May 6; Liverpool, May 14, from “Sweet Melinda;” Newcastle/Cardiff, from “picking up Angel”)

Just like Tom Thumb’s Blues (Untold story)

(Paris, May 24)

Just like Tom Thumb’s Blues (ETD)
    (two versions of first verse, Belfast, May 6; perhaps Manchester soundcheck?)

Leopard-skin pillbox hat (NDH/promo video, Untold story)

A pair of filmed intros:

One Leicester, May 14: “This is a folk song. I want to sing a folk song now… I knew that would be … This is called, ‘Yes, I see you’ve got your brand new leopard-skin pill box hat.’” (NDH Disc 2, 1:17 mins.)

And the DeNiro-esque intro from London, May 126: "You talking to me ... shhhhhh ... Come up here and say that," right before Leopard-skin. (Untold story, 0:53 seconds)

Song, first two verses (NDH Disc 1)

• Song, final 4th and 5th verses (promo video
    • (both Dublin, 5/5/66)

• The 3rd verse (“If you want to see the sun rise”) was deleted from the video cuts, though Dylan sung it. If you watch closely, you can see an edit in the NDH Disc 1 segment where they cut out that middle verse and go right to Robbie’s solo. The film was shot at Dublin, not Belfast as some have suggested.
    One too many mornings (NDH extra)
    (complete, Liverpool, May 14; and also some Newcastle video, May 21)

One too many mornings (ETD)
    (Belfast, May 6)

Ballad of a thin man (ETD outtake)
    (complete, Belfast, May 6)

Ballad of a thin man (NDH and Untold story)
    (“Richard, Richard,” gestures at audience, Edinburgh, May 20)

Ballad of a thin man (ETD)
    (Newcastle (5/21); Cardiff (5/11), Glasgow; 5/19); Edinburgh, 5/20)

Positively Fourth Street (NDH extra)
    (White Plains, NY, Feb. 5)

Like a rolling stone (NDH extra)
    (intro in main NDH, Manchester, May 17, (“liar”); complete song, Cardiff May 11 (not Newcastle, May 21, as on DVD box))

Like a rolling stone (ETD)
    (Liverpool, May 14)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. ZebraC

ZebraC Forum Resident

-Song timings-

No Direction Home, Eat the Document, and Untold story of live recordings

Here is you can find the songs on the DVDs:

--------------------------

No Direction Home

Disc 1

Like a rolling stone (Cardiff, not Newcastle, as DVD says)
    Disc 1, (13:15)

Mr. Tambourine Man (first two verses)
    Disc 1 (15:58)

Leopard-skin pillbox hat (first two verses)
    Disc 1 (27:30)

Desolation Row
    Disc 1 (43:50)

Baby let me follow you down
    Disc 1 (1:10:40)

Ballad of a thin man (“Richard, Richard”/’get this’ gesture at audience)
    Disc 1 (1:24:40)

-----------------------

Disc 2

Just like Tom Thumb’s blues (“These are all protest songs… This is not British music. This is American music. Now c’mon.”)
    Disc 2 (01:40)

Tell me momma
    Disc 2 (1:14:40)

I’m so lonesome I could cry (w/Johnny Cash)
    Disc 2 (1:20:34)

Visions of Johanna (first verse, London; then, from “little boy lost,” Newcastle)
    Disc 2 (1:21:30)

Like a rolling stone
    Manchester
    Disc 2 (1:26:07)
    -------------------------

Extras

One too many mornings (Liverpool, May 1, 1966)
    • Like a rolling stone (Cardiff, not Newcastle as on DVD
    • Positively Fourth Street promo film
    • On a rainy afternoon (Does she need me) (Mislabeled as - I can’t leave her behind) (Glasgow, 5/19/66)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Eat the Document

• Tell me momma (6:30)

• What kind of friend is this? (10:20)

* When will I be loved? (12:25) very brief

• I can't leave her behind (14:40)

• Like a rolling stone (18:32)

• I still miss someone (w/Johnny Cash) (23:14)

• I don't believe you (25:35)

• Ballad of a thin man (29:50)

• Just like Tom Thumb's blues (37:15)

• Baby let me follow you down (41:07)

• Mr. Tambourine Man (43:00)

• One too many mornings (46:00)

• On a rainy afternoon (49:45)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Untold story of the live recordings, 12-minute video

“Come up here and say that”- from May 26, London RAH audience just before Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat) (0:53)

Crawl out your window (acoustic, soundcheck) (London, May 26, 1966) (1:36)

Ballad of a thin man (“Richard, Richard”) (Edinburgh (5:24-6:30)

If I was a king (hotel room, Glasgow, May 19, 1966) (6:30)

End of Tell me momma (w/D.A. Pennebaker on stage) (6:50)

Just like Tom Thumb’s Blues (Paris) (8:50)

Desolation Row, Tuning footage (Paris) (9:40) (“My electric guitar never goes out of tune.” .. “You’re so wonderful.”)

Tell me momma (Paris, but different footage than NDH) (10:45)

Visions of Johanna (Belfast, May 6, 1966) (“Just Louise and her lover”) (11:57)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's hell time, man

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. Percy Song

Welcome to the best thread in town, SN.

12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I think I have a handful of favourites. Belfast, Cardiff, Birmingham, Newcastle and RAH1 (though I really enjoy RAH2 for different reasons). Worth noting though, these shows are ones I wasn't familiar with before the box, so perhaps I'm just influenced by them being new and fresh to me. I'm sure if I listened to the box again I'd change my mind, too!

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I listened to them all in sequence over Christmas and look forward to doing so again soon ish.
    Not exhausting at all :)

The Bard likes this.
  14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Is anybody on their fourth time around?

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Speaking of Fourth Yome Around. I never got the connection between this and Norwegian Wood.
    Someone mentioned it here and it does seem clear that it was Dylan's homage to Lennon.

16. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

You say "homage", I say "parody".

17. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

I don't know why he did it either - I mean, it's not like Dylan to nick other people's melodies.

18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Picked up the RAH vinyl today. Pumped to have it. Everyone like theirs?

19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm currently working my way through Behind The Shades Revisited, just got up to the motorcycle accident on my train ride this morning. I'm finding this to be so much more enjoyable than Still On The Road. Once you get past his bashing of the other Dylan biographers in the introduction, he steers pretty clear of his personal opinions throughout.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Percy Song

Thanks for this. I think I'm right in saying that the LARS film footage is from Newcastle. This was discussed way back in November on this thread. The film matches the LARS on the Cardiff CD because on the box set the Cardiff LARS has been inadvertently switched with the Newcastle LARS. The evidence put forward (by, I recall, RandPink) for this "Great Switcheroo", as it was labelled, is compelling.

So, as I understand it, the LARS video is Newcastle, the Newcastle LARS audio is on the Cardiff CD, and the Cardiff LARS audio is on the Newcastle CD.

The so-called 1965 Positively 4th Street "promo film" included as an extra on NDH has been identified as being from White Plains, 05 February 1966. The audio from the studio single has been dubbed onto the performance footage. This film also includes a snippet of a soundcheck for "Tell Me Momma" with audio intact. The earliest known live recording of "Tell Me Momma" is at White Plains.

#

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The "Judas!" thing always fascinates me. Maybe it ties into Dylan's religious perspective at the time, maybe it doesn't.

But as I hear the famous Manchester exchange, the famously cool Dylan not only audibly reacted to the taunt, but was initially rattled then offered a uniquely amazingly amped up rendition of the song. And now we've since learned he seemed to refer back to that incident at a later show.

I find it really interesting that in the immediate aftermath (1967), he wrote not one but two songs that include a character with Judas as part of their name ("Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" & "Golden Tom-Silver Judas"). Both of which, for whatever it's worth, present the lyrics as a dialogue between two people.

The Reasoner, Mr. H, Dflow and 3 others like this.
  22. Percy Song

Nicely put. I'm rowing a similar boat, and I'd add Paris. But, when I really think about it, choosing favourites is so subjective for me as to be almost a pointless exercise; there are so many influencing factors. For example, of the shows I've attended my favourite was Hammersmith Odeon in February 1991. No one else in their right mind would choose that show, or even that year, I'm sure.

My favourite in the box is RAH1, but it is also my least favourite of the soundboard shows! Favourite because Grandma JoJo was there, so it really means something to the people in this household; because the performance is good and the recording is good. It's least favourite because it appears to be edited more than other shows (to fit the LP format, perhaps, or because that's how it was edited at the time when it was a contender for official release), and because it isn't a Richard Alderson recording. I'd really like to hear the Nagra recording of this one.

The show I would like to have attended is RAH2. Not particularly for the performance, but for the crazy spectacle of this, the last show, the last and most venomous of the confrontations. I mean, just imagine being there...

#

23. Percy Song

Having started the box all over again in "Real Time + 51 Years" I was struck by the harmonica playing on "Love Minus Zero Divided By No Limit" at White Plains and Pittsburgh. Do I detect a passage that will be used in "Just Like A Woman" at the later shows? I think so. Maybe not particularly surprising, but it was a surprise to recognise it as I painted some walls yesterday and the day before.

Also, I remembered this little piece (12 seconds) of film footage (probably shot by Victor Maymudes) of the leased 13-seater Lockheed Lodestar that was used in this period. Bob and Albert are seen exiting the plane (probably in 1965). There used to be a piece of longer footage on Y**T***e, but I can't find it now.

http://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_luypfdMkHc1qcxxuw.mp4

This is a screen grab from the film of the plane:-

[​IMG]

#

ZebraC, notesfrom and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's basically the biography to go by. But I much prefer Heylin's "Revolution In The Air" and "Still On The Road" books. The song by song thing seems to work better for Heylin's approach.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I thought I would like the the song-by-song approach, but maybe I wasn't well served by starting with the latter one (since it was the one my local library had). I got 2/3rds of the way through it and just couldn't finish it. I'm enjoying the biography much more.