Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Nope

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those of you who came along later and didn't vote in the Live 1965 poll are encouraged to do so now:

Bob Dylan -- Live 1965 - U.K. tour poll

Those of you who voted but have gotten to know the concerts better over time may want to contribute additional thoughts.

3. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Taper Michael Kinnear does get credit for the Melbourne audience tape.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

So I finally decided to purchase this set, and it arrived today! I was a bit unsure about it at first, primarily because of the repeated setlists for pretty much every show. That being said, I look forward to hearing the differences and nuances in each show. Also, I got a gift card from my sister, so I ended up paying the equivalent of $50 to get this sent to me. At that price I figured it's a no brainer, if anything, at least for the historical context.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It's been a while since I listened but I seem to recall quite a lot of audible audience barracking in Liverpool and Belfast (?) in particular. Has anyone managed to decipher what audience members were saying?

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

It's not entirely clear, but I think they are shouting for the entire 1965 tour to be released on physical media.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes, there is repetition, but there are different audience vibes and Dylan responses (both verbally and musically). If you listen to the box as a whole in chronological order, you might get a better understanding as to why the final show in London went down the way it did. In other words, the box is a single short story. The individual shows aren't even chapters; they are paragraphs. Enjoy!

8. Richard--W

Why can't a price break like other people do.

Anyhow, after you've lived with the box-set for awhile do come back and tell us your impressions.

Clanceman likes this.
  9. Richard--W

10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Excellent -- a wise buy!!

Be sure to check out Sheffield's "Mr. Tambourine Man"!

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

How come every time someone does the smart thing, it is called a "no-brainer"?

What part of the body made the decision?

12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

It means you don't have to think about it (or use your brain).

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Something made the decision. Some people would blame an itchy finger. Some would say the music filled a void in their heart. If your groin made the decision, everyone around you should watch out.

14. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I'm not a linguist, but it could also mean it was an easy decision to buy, considering the events that influenced him, such as the gift coupon he's been given and the curiosity to go through all the sets either way.

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...but if one said someone else hadn’t used his/her brain before making a decision, it would be a criticism. Context is everything, I guess.

Tribute likes this.
  16. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Could have used his/her heart, instead

Six Bachelors likes this.
  17. Richard--W

18. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Reading through the More Blood, More Tracks discussion thread, I've noticed a lot of scrutiny over Clinton Heylin's writing that I wasn't aware of before. I've only read his book, Judas! whilst listening through this boxset, but can anyone speak to the accuracy of the facts he presents here? Is there anything I should be aware of, or is it considered a pretty accurate overview of the tour?

Please note I'm really not here to start any Heylin bashing - there's more than enough in the aforementioned thread, and it's quite tiring.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Heylin is very opinionated, but I don't think he's made any major errors in his books. I go to his books first when I want to look up something Dylan related.

20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I just happened to finish Judas! this morning, literally. (2am, this morning.) I enjoyed the hell out of it, but certainly can't speak to the overall factual integrity.

But now I feel I must dive back into the Live 1966 box -- which will most likely be no small undertaking. It never ends. :wtf:

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

no-brainer
    noun

no-brain·er | \ˈnō-ˈbrā-nər \
    Definition of no-brainer

: something that requires a minimum of thought

22. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

The SHF panel of experts (not me!) discovered that the 1966 Live box set has the final performances of "Like A Rolling Stone" from Newcastle and Cardiff switched around, and Heylin was apparently unaware of that fact when he wrote the book, so his descriptions of those two shows are well off the mark -- as I recall off the top of my head, the Cardiff audience actually responded in an enthusiastic and positive manner to the electric set with The Hawks, while some elements of the Newcastle crowd hooted and hollered a bit. Other than that, I believe his narrative is fairly trustworthy. As for his writing style, yes, that's another matter.

Percy Song, Archtop and SlimLee like this.
  23. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I remembered that while I was reading the book last night. It stressed me out.

It's never simple.

And the CSI on MBMT hasn't really even started yet... :wtf:

24. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Yeah, I can't remember exactly how it was deduced - but I do recall being quite impressed by the lengths gone to prove the switch! I'm 100% confident that those recordings were switched, which reminds me - I recently re-ripped all my CDs to FLAC, and I need to go and swap those two around.

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've read this a couple of times here and never wrote it down. Then later I'd find myself scratching my head over what was switched. I finally wrote it down in my hodge-podge of notes for this box. Thanks for the reminder.

HominyRhodes likes this.