Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't understand the naysayers sounding off so loudly and so soon.

This is an archival release of historical and cultural importance, not a greatest hits or best of collection.

Of course every true genuine Dylan fan wants to hear the same songs performed over and over again at as many concerts as possible. He's like a jazz singer with an improvisational approach. Each time he performs a song the nuances and energy are different, and the lyrics evolve in meaning. I can't wait to hear each song in the setlist sung 18 times.

Make your own "best of collection" or just buy the Royal Albert Hall set, but please let the rest of us enjoy the release.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Fabulous news. There aren't many rock tours that really warrant this kind of coverage, but this is certainly one.

As a practical matter, I thought the 6 disc version of The Cutting Edge was Just Right for my personal Dylan library. Would love to see an equivalent offering here.

OrenthalJSimspon and bobcat like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, it kept the cost down right!

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The great thing here is that this set is priced for both the defectives and nondefectives alike!

OrenthalJSimspon and SteveM like this.
  5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ordered! $117 shipped from the UK. Works out to only $3.25/cd.

6. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

You know, I'm a big Dylan fan but this is just more than a bit ridiculous. To give you an indication of my yardstick I passed on the scaled down 2-disc Cutting Edge from last year...sometimes one's just heard enough from a particular period. The 2nd disc of the Bootleg Series 1-3 will do me just fine.

But hey, each to their own.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, everyone (most everyone) has been saying that Manchester 66 is the best live album ever recorded (which is really weird when you think about it), so here they are handing over a big box of that best live rock ever recorded.

You asked for it, you got it, now stop complaining.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Did you get the "No Direction Home" set on CD? Most of us felt BS 123 short changed us by one disc. Are you sure you are a real Dylan fan???

qtrules and TyroneSlothrop like this.
  9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

36 nights with roughly the same setlist. Looks like Dylan wants to empty those archives before his time is up. No fifty years of posthumous releases.

10. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

This is just the best news ever. The '66 tour is my favorite Dylan, and getting all these shows....some of them never bootlegged before...and at a decent price? The naysayers have an easy choice: ignore it, don't buy it. I, for one, am thrilled to get the chance to follow the tour and hear the performing nuances/changes as they occur.

Thank you, Santa.

11. honkymagic

honkymagic Forum Resident

I'm excited. Excited for the release, excited that the relatively low price makes it accessible to me, excited to spend hours and hours with it. I can understand being less excited if you don't love the '66 tour sound, or if you've only heard BS4 and figure that everything will sound exactly like that. BUT, if you want reason to think otherwise, just have a listen to the Birmingham "Ballad of a Thin Man." Listen to how Dylan spits out "Nobody has any respect." I, for one, can't wait to find similar little moments scattered across the concerts.

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I can't see what people can complain about with this set. It's all there for the diehards or there is the 2cd of London which would give you 2 professionally recorded shows (including BS4) for those who aren't as ravenous. Then there is also the option to shut up and not buy anything.

Seeing how BS4 is one of my all time favourite releases, I would hate myself at not getting the whole shebang, and missing out on hearing those nightly variations.

13. signothetimes53

Exactly.

I have enough '66 bootlegs to know that there are some fascinating little moments like that to be found. I wonder which 'real' Royal Albert Hall they will release in the 2CD set? There were 2 shows, May 26 and May 27, and IIRC, Dylan was VERY stoned on the last show.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been wondering about that, too. Perhaps May 26 and May 27 are in the big box but only one of them is in the 2 cd set.

Now collectors can throw out their bootlegs of Jewels and Binoculars which was only 24 discs and Genuine Live 1966 which was only 11 discs.

This generous and very giving box-set from Bob Dylan renders the bootlegs obsolete.

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I was kinda hoping that they would price me out of this with another $600 set, so I could justify "well I would love to have it, but it's just too much money." However, I can't say that so I'm in.

16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm automatically in on this one. In fact, thanks to the relatively low price for this I just re-ordered that Pink Floyd Early Years box that I had cancelled in the assumption that the new Dylan box would be something like 600 bucks.

17. Alan Bumstead

Alan Bumstead Forum Resident

So is it too much to ask - this appears NOT to be an "Official Bootleg Series" release, and possibly just a copyright dump.

Which begs the question - is there still a BS to be announced? <<wishful thinking>>

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Then they likely will stick to the 26th. :laugh:

signothetimes53 likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Any of these shows have better sound than Manchester? Like much better sound?

20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I might keep my Floyd pre-order, also. £100 for the Bob box is nothing on top of that.

Can't wait for November!

21. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Wow, talk about unexpected.

22. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I wonder what a 6 CD would look like?

Probably Sydney, Paris and one of the RAH nights?

23. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Interested in the shortened vinyl version of this.

24. signothetimes53

LOL

If Bob and Sony had a sense of humor, they'd make it the 27th....

25. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

To this point, we only had the Manchester and Sydney shows in complete soundboards. So, sound is going to be one of those "wait and see" things. The second half of Royal Albert Hall from 5/26 sounds amazing in what we currently have. I'm sure this set includes the 1st gen tape so it will sound even better.