Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Yep - it's a fine release, but I like my Dylan eras spread around and not dwelling so much on a particular period. This might sound like heresy but I much prefer Dylan's 67-69 and 74-77 periods, and always enjoy diving deep into the fascinating born again era - especially the tailing out period of 1981-82. Again, it's simply my opinion but I feel like the 1965-66 period has recently been thrashed into material exhaustion.

But again, that's simply my take. :cool:

trumpet sounds and majorlance like this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hold on, I see he got it from the Rolling Stone report posted by Dee Thomas in post #90 above. So that's the official breakdown.

My goodness!

3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Ok, good. I had to read on the run this morning.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

"copyright dump" - I know it's become a commonly used term - doesn't really do this justice - it looks like they are treating it with a lot of respect in terms of archive research and packaging.

5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

A quick glance at what shows are complete:

Dublin, May 5, 1966
    Belfast, May 6, 1966 (Unless It's All Over Now was performed, then it's incomplete)
    Leicester, May 15, 1966
    Sheffield, May 16, 1966
    Manchester, May 17, 1966 (already released)
    London, May 26, 1966
    London, May 27, 1966

6. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Has the price changed at Amazon UK? Since it is a pre order you can't charge it with conversion to dollars instead of pounds.

It's now 87.38 pounds. Is that what it was earlier? How do you get the $117 price if you don't know the exchange rate yet?

Great news and I'm surprised at the price. Much lower than I figured it would be. Great news.

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 17 'Tell Me Mamas'. That song is deceptively long.

8. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

That "Tell Me Momma" is great!

All the circulating RAH recordings in the past have been acetate sourced, I believe? This is sharp, clear, and definitely sourced from multitrack. Exciting.

TyroneSlothrop and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

The Tell Me Momma clip sounds exciting and rough. Like it!

TyroneSlothrop and JL6161 like this.
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

This box-set is too good to be true.

Like the kids say in Dont Look Back, "somebody pinch me!"

11. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Crossing my fingers but almost sure this not being a limited release, that some great ebay sellers will offer this soon at an even lower price, similarly to how I managed to acquire the recent Van Morrison It's Too Late To Stop Now box for almost half of what others were selling it for. Patience guys. Santa Claus has arrived and stays. ;)

Rickchick likes this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Not happening. Genuine Live 1966 has superior artwork and packaging thus far (before I saw the packaging of the 36-CD set). The mastering/mixing is bound to be different as well.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    George P likes this.
  13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I just got finished going through the big Cutting Edge box again (for the third time). This announcement makes me want to go right back to the beginning and start over.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and bluesbro like this.
  14. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

It hasn't changed. The 87 pounds is minus 20% VAT if you abroad. That's how much I'm paying (for now) :)

15. highwater

highwater Forum Resident

Not from Rolling stone - from Badlands.co.uk

16. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

:chill:

O, sir - if you're measuring my fandom against the veritable monolith that is 36 consecutive concerts, then I am not a big fan. I can't humanly be that big a fan; I haven't the physical space or endurance for such a task. I guess I'm more of the big fan who measures their admiration on a lesser scale - such as dragging out Street Legal for the upteenth time and declaring its inherent brilliance to a crowd of naysayers who struggle to get past the third verse of "No Time To Think". :shrug:

17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I'll probably go for Paris first. It's like Disc 10 of the Cutting Edge set, to me.

It was also Bob's 25th birthday.

TyroneSlothrop likes this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

The Sheffild Mr. Tambourine Man is definitive, imo.

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The sharp Dylan vs. zombie Dylan. I think they made the right choice!

20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They just figured it out.

21. highwater

highwater Forum Resident

might not be definitive for much longer. How many new Tambourine Mans will we have access to here to throw into the mix?

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

He's protecting the copyright on these shows...

the sands likes this.
  24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That's the answer! I'm buying it cause it's going to be available. But it's not for everyone.

25. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Each individual disc will be housed in a sleeve featuring a still from D.A. Pennebaker’s landmark Dylan observational documentaries, Dont Look Back (1965) and Eat The Document (1966). Detailed sleeve notes for the project will be provided by esteemed Dylanographer Clinton Heylin.