Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

the liverpool session is great. this one would've made for a great contemporary live album cover

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

One thing that stood out for me was the author's comment that "Scraps of recordings of the shows, from Pittsburgh in February and Vancouver in March, Sydney and Melbourne in April, were handed around among fans."

As I had never heard about a circulating tape of the Vancouver show, I asked her about it on Twitter. Her response: "have heard on a boots site what purported to be two tracks. Just scraps -- and I wonder if they're not from another show entirely."

Shows are easy enough to misdate, so her theory seems plausible enough. Anyone know anything that could shed light on this mixed-up confusion?

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

News to me.

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Looking at what Olof has, it appears that someone shared a first person account of Vancouver (but there's no mention of a tape).

PNE Agrodome
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    26 March 1966

1.She Belongs To Me

2.Fourth Time Around

3.Visions Of Johanna

4.It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

5.Desolation Row

6.Just Like A Woman

7.Mr. Tambourine Man

8.Tell Me, Momma

9.I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)

10.Baby Let Me Follow You Down (Eric von Schmidt)

11.Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

12.Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

13.One Too Many Mornings

14.Ballad Of A Thin Man

15.Like A Rolling Stone

1–7 Bob Dylan (vocal, harmonica & guitar).

8–15 Bob Dylan (vocal & electric guitar), Robbie Robertson (electric guitar), Garth Hudson (organ), Rick Danko (bass), Richard Manuel (piano), Mickey Jones (drums).

9 Bob Dylan harmonica.

14 Bob Dylan piano.

BobTalk:

Comments relating Tom Thumb & painter's 'Blue Period' (before JustLike Tom Thumb's Blues).

Praising Steinway pianos as he begins playing one. (before BalladOf A Thin Man).

Notes.

This setlist is taken from memory. Song 2 possibly Fourth Time Around. Song 6 possibly Just Like A Woman. Song 15 possibly Positively 4th Street.

Thanks to ch'an bodhi cede!

Session info updated 13 March 2009.

5. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

Check out this awesome little 32 Minute Video of 1966 Peformances that give a taste of what a 66 Tour Film centered around the on Stage Performances could be like:

Credit to gibsona07 at Expecting Rain

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Apologies for a vaguely off-topic post:

I typed in "One Too Many Mornings" on my digital collection last night and then hit play .... what a wonderful roller coaster ride through the ages that was!
    Truly incredible - early sixties all the way through to the 2000's.

I'm not sure any other song in Bob's catalogue has been so consistently and brilliantly interpreted and reinterpreted throughout his career.

Edgard Varese and HominyRhodes like this.
  7. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

goer and TyroneSlothrop like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

9. bodine

bodine Senior Member

In the shot with Bob and kids in the Liverpool doorway, that's young Declan McManus standing in front of him.

:)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

F&$#

LeeGriffin likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Leicester, England - May 15, 1966
    De Montfort Hall, Granville Road
    Capacity 2,200
    Opened 1913
    Architect Shirley Harrison

De Montfort Hall is a music and performance venue located in Leicester, England. It is situated adjacent to Victoria Park and is named after Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester. The Hall was built by the Corporation of Leicester in the early 20th century, and was finished in 1913 costing £21,000.
    Its indoor auditorium seating capacity is 2200, and the hall contains a restored pipe organ believed to be the only surviving example of a large concert organ constructed by the Leicester organ builders, Stephen Taylor & Son Ltd, in 1914. The pipe organ is a particularly fine example and comprises 6000 pipes, attracting many distinguished organists to play recitals. In the 2014 the pipe organ was estimated to be worth over five million GBP.[3]
    The hall is said by the orchestra to be one of the best spaces in which to play music in England. Genesis recorded the majority of their 1973 release Genesis Live at the Hall. Rock group Marillion recorded part of their first live album Real to Reel at De Montfort Hall.

[​IMG]
    1955:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

13. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Sheffield, England - May 16, 1966
    Gaumont Theatre; formerly the Regent
    Designed and built by McLaughlin & Harvey Ltd of London
    Opened Dec 26, 1927
    Demolished 1986
    Capacity 2,300

The Gaumont Theatre began life as the Regent Theatre, opening in 1927. Design features included a simple white faience entrance, a spacious foyer, an Italian Renaissance style interior, a lavishly colourful lounge and an impressive Georgian-style tearoom. In the large, double-domed neo-classical style auditorium, lit by ever-changing concealed lighting with 5,000 bulbs, producing 30 colour combinations, seating was for 2,300, 1450 stalls and 850 balcony.
    The Regent’s total effect was aimed at transporting the audience from the humdrum of their daily lives into a world of fantasy, make-believe and sheer enjoyment such as they were never likely to attain in their humble homes, devoid then of television and digital entertainment.
    Besides initially screening flickering silent films, the building was ably equipped to stage both theatrical and musical entertainment, having seven dressing rooms backstage and an orchestra pit. There were times when the cinema employed over 100 staff and there were another 38 cinemas in Sheffield. In 1946 it was re-named Gaumont Theatre.
    Around 1959 the building was revamped in readiness for the many stage shows of the sixties. Among the artists appearing there were Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde, Eddie Cochran, Bobby Darin, Nina & Frederick, the Count Basie Orchestra, and, on Wednesday, December 8, 1965, The Beatles caused chaos when playing for the first time at the venue, performing two shows.
    In October 1968 it was closed for twinning. Victor Borge was the last person to appear on the Gaumont stage in 1968 about a week before the theatre was torn apart. All vestiges of the original decoration were removed.
    Closure came on November 7, 1985. Within two years the New Odeon cinema rose phoenix-like on the site.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Sheffield:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Archtop, LoveandTheft, jvs52 and 10 others like this.
  16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Here’s yet more about the blue suede jacket. After having been bought in Stockholm on April 29th, the first sighting we know of it is two days later in Copenhagen, May 1st, when Dylan and entourage are down by the docks next to the U.S.S. Thomas J. Gary. This story was relayed in the Spitz book, and a Pennebaker interview in another book. But I didn't know photos of the event were around until recently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DA Pennebaker: ‘We were on this dock, and there was this big American destroyer sitting alongside… about fifty yards away. They had blown the whistle and everybody was coming out in the morning for assembly. And they started to notice us, because Dylan had this huge - his hair all over the place, and we were really quite motley, and I was there with a camera, and we must have looked really peculiar. So pretty soon all these guys began watching us, and we figured we better get out of here. And Neuwirth tried to get Dylan, but Dylan wouldn’t leave. So pretty soon there’s a big announcement and the gangway comes down, and this guy, the captain of the ship, comes down the gangway and comes over to see us. And I don’t know if they’re going to arrest us or not - who knows? Maybe there’s some drugs around me or something… just something told me that we shouldn’t be there. But there was no way to escape. The guy came over and he stood there. Dylan barely noticed him - and then suddenly caught sight of him and twitched a little bit. And the rest of us were covering our faces and everybody, five hundred sailors, were lined up watching. And he says, ‘Are you Bob Dylan?’
    Dylan says something just totally ridiculous. He said something like, ‘No, I’m Mother Hubbard,’ or something like that. And the guy says, ‘Didn’t you write a song called ‘One Too Many Mornings’?
    And of course he was singing that song on the tour, and Dylan said yeah. And the guy said, ‘When I was a freshman in college, I wrote a novel, and that was the title. Your song was the most incredible thing I ever heard. It changed my life, and I wanted to thank you myself,’ and he shook hands with Dylan and walked back on the ship. And Dylan was really touched. He stood there for a minute and he just - he couldn’t absorb all the connections that were going together - that he was in this foreign land, thinking he was totally a stranger - like on battlefield on which he was walking around the edges and nobody knew who he was, and suddenly this entire destroyer comes up and - it was really an amazing moment. He was totally caught off guard and quite caught up in it. And I never again saw him respond in that way to a peculiar situation.’

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

(Manchester, there's no place like Manchester... next stop).

zobalob likes this.
  18. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Amazing anecdote. Thanks for sharing. Shows the young personal side of Dylan before he closed off.

notesfrom likes this.
  19. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I tell ya, @notesfrom, your posts...oh my. Dazzlingly informative, to say the least.

If I win the lottery, I intend to secure the publication rights to all those wonderful photos, images, maps and articles that you've unearthed, and turn them into a limited edition, hardcover book, only available to SH Forum members. (OK, the folks over at Expecting Rain could get copies, too.)

You, needless to say, would be presented with a wheelbarrow full of cash for all of your efforts. If I win the lottery.

Archtop, zobalob, Amnion and 6 others like this.
  20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Sheffield - where Bob played a very special "Mr Tambourine Man" with achingly beautiful extended harmonica sections. This is the sound of the sunrise after a long timeless night. I have listened to this in total darkness a number of times and lost contact with all my edges. This is my definition of psychedelia in its natural state.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Tim Wilson, crispi, zobalob and 13 others like this.
  21. Agreed - but if I read about one more of these beautiful old performance houses being turned into a cineplex or a parking structure, I think I'm gonna lose it...

22. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

You have a wonderful way with words, and I think you should be doing the liner notes for these releases. All I can say is that I don't have that recording in my collection, yet. Another reason for me to be really, really looking forward to this box set.

notesfrom, goer, NumberEight and 5 others like this.
  23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Here in America they'd be remodeled and named after soft drink companies....

What was the smallest venue Bob played on this tour? That Leicester venue looks like the most intimate venue,
    but I'm not sure. That looks like a cozy place to have your hair blown back...makes my ears ring to think about!

24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Sounds like a nightmare... haha. I love looking this stuff up, it's stuff I need to know about the tour, and there's no one to ask. It is enjoyable or it wouldn't be worth doing. That I'm not the only one who cares about this stuff is refreshing to know.

Bob was living in a rapidly changing world. I guess we all are to some degree, still.

zobalob, Dayfold, goer and 3 others like this.
  25. I knew the person who made the film and can even remember when she first talked to me about the idea. It was made for the BBC. It was a labour of love. She was committed to the idea of the film and the story about the children involved, rather than it being a Bob-fan homage. She was a Dylan listener but that wasn't the primary motivation for making it.