Bob Dylan & The Band - The Basement Tapes MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rafalor, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Another viable alternative would be narrowing the channels somewhat, but still leaving some separation, similar to the Neil Young Sugar Mountain release. While not quite as easy as hitting a mono switch, people could still widen it if they wanted to. Of course, I'd probably prefer it wide from the start...

As far as "fake stereo" goes, I'd argue mixing a vocal track dead center and an instrumental track left and right with delay isn't really "fake stereo", but rather simply a poor true stereo mix. Certainly one that can't easily be reverted back to its original twin-track form.

2. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Did anyone receive the SACD? I have the original CD press and the SONY CD remaster. I love the songs but am doubtful that much can really be done with these songs given the way they were recorded. Tell me I'm wrong!

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Good question.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes, my SACD arrived yesterday from Music Direct.

Once again, Music Direct f'ed up and shipped my order in nothing but a manila envelope with no padding and the cover was badly creased/bent in transit. I haven't even opened the SACD.

I've been down this road multiple times with Music Direct and now I'm done with them. They always promise to ship my items in a cardboard mailer ... then they don't. They charge full list price plus exorbitant shipping and then toss the disc in a paper envelope. This is on top of my recent discovery they've been sitting on a fifty dollar credit of mine for three months and not applying it to my several backorders that have shipped since then because, I was told, their "system can't handle that." I wrote and told them I don't think they have their collective act together. Either that or they're a pack of shysters.

Anyway, I'm sending the damaged package back and ordering it again elsewhere. Of course, that's if they'll grace me with a return authorization.

Rant over. Sorry - I just had to vent.

5. I have high hopes for this SACD, the recent CD remaster sounded better than I expected, coming from the viewpoint of the original CD mastering.

6. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

That doesn't sound good at all. Thanks for the heads-up, I consider it a public service.

7. RFeirstein

RFeirstein Member

I just got confermation they shipped the SACD out on Friday.

8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Groan... thanks for sharing!!!

9. art

art Senior Member

SACD sounds incredible.

10. Electric

Compared to the Sony remaster?

11. art

art Senior Member

Oh, yeah.

12. Electric

Would love to know in what way? Can you elaborate a bit?

13. I haven't heard it yet, but I imagine like most of the newer MFSL masterings it has a warmer sound with a slightly rolled-off treble than the regular CD mastering. MFSL has apparently shifted their mastering philosophy these days from their earlier SACDs.

14. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I don't hear rolled-off treble so much as I hear a lack of treble emphasis. MFSL masterings of the '80s, in particular, had major "smiley curve" EQ. Lots o' tipped-up treble and bloated bass.

15. RFeirstein

RFeirstein Member

Just played this SACD and WOW! This sounds several generations closer to the master tape than any of the Columbia Records releases. It's clear sonic quality also makes the non-basement recorded Band tracks sound even more out of place on this album.

Now if we can only get a full release of the actual basement tapes with this quality.

16. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

My experience is order from Acoustic Sounds. Yes they charge top dollar (but like you said, so does music direct), but at least they package and treat you like you payed top dollar. I have also had good experience with Elusive Disc, but they don't seem to have the stock Acoustic Sounds does.

17. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb Forum Resident

Big Question, which to buy the SACD or the Vinyl?
    I'm leaning towards the SACD and definitely can't afford both.

woody

18. Electric

Can anyone else compare the SACD with the last remaster? Someone commented that he couldn't tell much of a difference.

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I assume the last Sony (2009?) release would have used the same master tapes?

20. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Up against the 2008 2CD Japanese set, the MFSL (redbook layer) is IMO notably different and clearly superior. Smoother and more natural sounding with, of course, no peak limiting. The Sony sounds boosted and harsh in comparison. There's also a subtle shift in the stereo balance, easily detected when switching between the two under headphones.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Thanks.
    I consider the Japanese Blu-Spec CD to be the best version out there. Until now, it seems.

22. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

I have the blu-spec and the new MFSL. I prefer the MFSL, although this one's never going to be a sonic marvel and it's not a huge upgrade. The MFSL is less bright to my ears.

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

In it's original mix form this album will always be lo-fi and never audiophile, but the MFSL SACD does sound great. I prefer it over the original Columbia CD and the Sony remaster. I doubt the MFSL SACD will ever be topped digitally and it's worth getting if you love the Basement Tapes.

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Hmm. Does this mean that it trumps the original vinyl? Curious.

25. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I think I want the CD - easier to hop around the CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.