Bob Dylan--Too much of a Woody Guthrie imitator?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I watched this PBS program on Woody Guthrie last night. The main reason I stopped on it was the fact that it was in High Def and beautifully laid out. I thought I knew a lot about Woody but it turns out I didn't know that much. Finally got his entire life with amazing (family cooperating) home movies, photos, pristine recordings, etc.

I grew up with Bob Dylan (well not literally but you know what I mean). I guess it was with a shock last night that I realized that Bob wasn't just following in Woody's footsteps, I think he wanted to BE Woody. A photo of Woody from 1946 with his harmonica holder strapped to him, holding his guitar, his hair in that wild straight-up style, his manner of singing, his political commentary, etc. I mean, Dylan must have (duh, I'm just getting this) consciously tried to imitate him in every way possible. Do you think Dylan was trying to fool us kids into thinking that he was unique or do you think he really felt he was carrying on where Woody couldn't (due to his illness, etc.?) If I had seen or heard any info on Woody Guthrie in 1965 I might not have taken Dylan to heart so quickly and so intensely.

Just musing on this while drinking cocoa. I guess what I'm asking is do you think Dylan went too far with his Woody Worship?

-------------
    QUESTION:
    So then you heard of Guthrie and he changed your life?
    BOB DYLAN: I heard of Odetta first...
    QUESTION:
    Then you heard of Guthrie and he changed your life?
    BOB DYLAN: Then I heard of Josh White...
    QUESTION:
    Then you heard of Guthrie...
    BOB DYLAN:
    Then I heard about those riots in San Francisco... an' I missed out on meeting James Dean so I decided to go meet Woody Guthrie.

J. R. Goddard Interview, Village Voice, Mar 1965.

----------------
    THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND (with a few lyrics I bet you've not read)..

words and music by Woody Guthrie

Chorus:
    This land is your land, this land is my land
    From California, to the New York Island
    From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
    This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
    I saw above me an endless skyway
    I saw below me a golden valley

Chorus

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
    To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
    And all around me a voice was sounding

Chorus

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
    The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
    The fog was lifting a voice come chanting

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
    And that sign said - no tress passin'
    But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
    Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
    Near the relief office - I see my people
    And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
    If this land's still made for you and me.

2. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Sure he went too far in his Woody worship, but to Dylan's credit, I think he figured that our pretty quickly. And once Bob moved on, he rarely looked back to the Guthrie influence.

By the way, I love Dylan's cover of "Pretty Boy Floyd" from 1988.

3. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Maybe with his first few albums (IMO) but he quickly becaume a unique artist with some true classics

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. bluemt

bluemt Forum Resident

I read a quote from one of Guthrie family (woody's wife?) in which she said that she wished Bob hadn't coppied Woody's vocal drawl as the afffect was merely a byproduct of the Huntington's Disease Woody suffered from later in his career.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...he was just idolizing him IMO...and carrying on his tradition...after all, he lets us all know on the first album with his Song To Woody of his true feeling for Woody...I don't believe he was hiding anything...he sure blossomed into an amazing songwriter.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't know...he listening to Woody's early recordings long before his disease set in.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Yep--we never sang these verses in my elementary school music class!

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Have you seen No Direction home yet, Steve? They talk about Dylan meeting him at great length in that doc. It's no secret.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  9. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Someone like Dylan has an enormously powerful imagination. It's to be expected he would begin by living out a fantasy, in this case one 'embodied' by Guthrie. Of course his own unique interior life soon took dominance.

I'm familiar with those "This Land Is Your Land" lyrics and think of them from time to time.

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

As with the Beatles, it's good to be reminded that these giants of the 60s didn't just come out of nowhere.

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Almost, but his own considerable talent came through and he developed a "Dylan" style. The comparison sure takes the heat off Donovan for being "too Dylan" in his early years.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I think lots of musicians have gone further in their Dylan worship than Dylan did in his Guthrie worship.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Nor mine. Sang that song a lot though when I was a kid. In school, in summer camp...

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi SH,

Nope. If Bob had been more Woody like he would have never plugged in, turned on, and dropped out.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I guess the subtext for this is are questions regarding the "Authenticity" of Mr. Zimmerman. The guy's smart---real smart. He knows all about creating an image---then changing it and then changing it again. After that, he sold copies of his playbook to Elvis Costello and Madonna (two other artists where even the name is made up and then supposed to impress you). Like the man said "I like to think of myself as a 'Song and Dance' man", and he is, of course. When Bob Dylan first emerged, he brought in a pre-existing image in order to create the aura of "Authenticity". After his debut, he crafted his image to reinforce that image of "Authenticity". But I do think he is a great songwriter, and will be remembered mainly for that gift.

16. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Sorry, double post.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Are we supposed to be impressed by Costello or Madonna's names?

18. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

I first heard the "Dust Bowl Ballads" by Woody Guthrie in 1973. I borrowed a copy of the RCA Victor LP from the library, and when I listened to it the similarities of style between what Guthrie was doing in 1940 and what the early Dylan records were like was immediately striking. Too much of an imitator? I would say that if Dylan would have stuck to this style and not written all those brilliant songs, yes.

Early in his career, Sibelius was said to be heavily influenced by Tchaikovsky. That's probably true, but he also went on to write strikingly original music. Ernest Tubb started out as a Jimmie Rodgers imitator, and ended up (thanks partially to having his tonsils removed) as one of the most distinctive voices in Country Music history. He also (of course) wrote some excellent songs. Everyone great artist has to start somewhere, and it apparently doesn't hurt to have a hero to worship (and inspire one to greatness.)

19. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

If Bob Zimmerman had to imitate Woody Guthrie (and Ramblin' Jack Elliott) for a year in order to become Bob Dylan, that's okay by me.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I came from a civil rights background. I may not have read those extra lyrics, but I've heard those lyrics, and the lyrics of "Pastures of Plenty", "Do-Re Mi", and the lyrics of other "Woody Guthrie Imitators", like Pete Seeger, the Weavers and their progeny.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Early Beethoven was clearly influenced by Haydn. What the hell happened? :eek:

22. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Well, maybe "impressed" is the wrong word, but...

Re-naming yourself "Elvis" in 1977 was nothing if not bold, no? It did get some attention, as I recall.

23. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Silly me, all these years I've been impressed by their music without giving their names a second thought.

24. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

No, I don't think Dylan went too far with his Woody imitation. He was young and excited to meet his idol, so of course Woody's style rubbed off on him. Besides, this style helped him get attention in the folk clubs early in his career. It was also a very short part of it.

Not to threadcrap, but maybe a more interesting question would be has someone like Ramblin' Jack Elliott gone too far with his Woody imitation. He made a whole career out of it.

Steve

25. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I thinkyou're right, but I've kinda thought that the Never Ending Tour was Bob's way of continuing the troubadour tradition, taking it away from just the big cities (take a look at the some of the places he plays) and to the people, in a sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.