Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What ROIOs do you recommend for this period?

2. dee

dee Senior Member

These Bootleg Series Dylan threads never cease to amaze me.. I don't have time to ever read all of what's in them but really these kinds of threads seem to have a life of their own and the amount of information, insight, enthusiasm, and conversation is quite extraordinary. When The Christmas Album and It Must Be Santa got a mention in this BD Gospel Boot Series thread, I couldn't not smile and begin to look forward to listening to that soon too. From the recent 5 albums?!! worth of Sinatra covers back to the Gospel years it appears His Bobness truly has nusic of or in the heart. Will be looking in the other thread and hoping for a sweet deal on a Gospel download while on the way reading along here and looking forward to more audio samples

3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Very jealous of her having seen Leadbelly! She's a treasure, man.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

She saw Lead Belly in Greenwich Village, AND he came to her college class on Folklore and sang and spoke there too! I once met a lady whose father often hosted Lead Belly at their NYC apartment, as he had a somewhat hard time getting a hotel room.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

More obscurely, the 8-track of Saved (I don't have it myself) apparently features not one but two slightly different edits of the title track (one a bit shorter than the standard version, one a bit longer).

6. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

There's two versions of "Saved" on the 8-track?

7. DeeThomaz

That's my understanding. As I mentioned, I don't actually have one myself. Certainly, 8-tracks in general are notorious for those sort of bizarre variants.

8. DeeThomaz

I learned about this in Heylin's book. Here's what he wrote (in the entry for the song "Saved"):

“Note: Two versions of the same take were assigned to the eight-track master (yes, they really were still making eight-track cartridges in 1980), but with two distinctly different timings, neither an exact match with the album version (one is 3:42, the other is 4:29, spread across two of the cartridge’s four bands—the one on Saved clocks in at 4:01), making for one ofthe oddest anomalies in Dylan’s official catalog.”

Excerpt From: Heylin, Clinton. “Still On the Road.” Chicago Review Press, 2010-11-17T06:00:00+00:00. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    HominyRhodes, Hep Alien and subtr like this.
  9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I'm sure the 8-track of Saved was in heavy rotation in many Mustangs & Camaros back in the day!
    :tiphat:

10. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I have to get a copy of this! Thanks for that info.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It sounds like it was just part on and part two. Maybe they just repeated a section?

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

But the two parts together total more than double the usual length (8:11 v 4:01). So that's a long 'section' repeat ;)

13. aoxomoxoa

Stranger things have happened. Could be they did it to fill out the tape

14. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

I've been lurking in this thread for weeks now, and just wanted to say how excited I am for this release. Like may others, I am totally gutted that the sermons will be excised from the songs, and am hoping (PRAYING!) that an enterprising Dylan fan will edit them back in from existing audience (or SBD) recordings and share them in collector's circles. "Solid Rock" from Toronto just isn't the same without the intro. Same with "Carribean Wind". Fingers crossed!

15. aoxomoxoa

I for one have not heard many of the sermons. The only concert I've heard from this era is Toronto. I'm really looking forward to hearing what they're going to offer but I'm really going to miss having those sermons

16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I can't believe people are complaining about not being able to hear the sermons. If someone told me as a kid that I could go to church but it would only be music and singing, and no sermon, I would have given them a giant bear hug.

AndoDoug, Lars1966, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I haven't heard the 8-track of Saved, and from his description it doesn't sound like Heylin has either. Further, the 8-track is not listed on Searching for a Gem as containing any rarities.

Here is a photo of the track listing. Looks to be split, to me, but until someone actually buys one, listens to it, then reports back, we can't say for sure.

[​IMG]

18. For anyone missing the sermons, it's probably worth reiterating that the documentary contains actual written sermons spoken by Michael Shannon, intercut with footage of Bob's 1980 performances. This was Dylan's original idea so presumably as a current working recording artist, this is something he expressly proposed and we should respect the artistic intentions here. As some have already suggested, he probably feels a little embarrassed by the apocalyptic raps he delivered back when and felt the way the documentary deals with this is more appropriate and timely.

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Amen! (no pun).

Kinda like going to school and not getting any homework.

citizensmurf likes this.
  20. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Granted, I'm sure there are Bob sermons that are really difficult to sit through (especially for us non-religious types), but certain ones I take as part of the musical performance. Take the Toronto "Solid Rock" for example. The little guitar interjections between the lines, the call and response with the singers, to me they are part of the song. They provide context, and really explain why that song in particular was played with such PASSION. Some of these sermons are more than just stage banter. They are MUSIC.

21. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I would have preferred some more actual studio outtakes, instead of those rehearsal versions of songs such as Serve Somebody and Slow Train. There are how many versions of those songs on this set? I also think it was a poor choice to leave out the so called secular material from 1980-81. It is part of the story after all and IMO makes a glaring omission. Another beef I have is I would have preferred a full concert dvd.

Having said all this, I am still thrilled for this set. I have heard very little of the unreleased songs and other tapes, so this is going to be a great listen, I'm sure.

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Secular material from '81 is from the SOL sessions presumably - is that right? - but what is there from 1980?

23. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I concur heartily...not to mention Bob's cool shout out to Jimmy Reed in that Toronto testimonial.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The rest of the "Musical Retrospective" tour

bobcat likes this.
  25. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Well, Let's Keep It Between Us is one song played on the Fall 1980 tour. There may exist a demo or rehearsal version too, I can't remember.

HominyRhodes and bobcat like this.