Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Abraham, Martin and John was one of the high points from 1980 in my opinion.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"We Just Disagree" is another unreleased (for Dylan anyway) secular song not included on the box.

@4:50.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In it's day, when released by both Dion and Moms Mabley, that was a very emotional song....especially the tag, "here comes Bobby [Kennedy]"

4. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

From a personal perspective, from someone who was able to purchase and relish the Collectors Edition of 'The Cutting Edge', this new set doesn't appeal to me at all. I almost feel honour bound to purchase the 2 CD set just to mark Volume 13 in my collection but even then I think I'll wait 'till it's dirt cheap if at all. So there, I said it.
    Naturally, I hope all those who purchase it enjoy the heck out of it; meanwhile, I'll just be daydreaming, hands in pockets, kicking loose stones down the street, whistling lonely laments over in the Bootleg Series 14 thread. Alone. Waiting.
    See you all in a little while...

Lars1966, Jimmy B. and HominyRhodes like this.
  6. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Opposite for me. Nice to have the big blue box on the shelf but it was a waste of $700. The six disc set would've been enough and even that just for the Visions and She's Your Lover Now. Same with the 66 box. Really just need Paris and the last two. I'm all over the Jerusalem set.

Adam Schellin, mpayan and timnor like this.
  7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Why is the vinyl limited to live cuts and none of the studio outtakes/unreleased studio cuts?

8. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Some will love it, and some will hate it, of course. My overall feeling is that, while imperfect, it's an interesting, valid, really creative choice, as a bold way of trying to contextualize the sense of righteousness that drove his material at the time. I was down with it, basically. I actually have a lot of complicated thoughts about how it works within the movie or as a semi-literal representation of evangelicalism, but I'll save those for closer to release date. I'm dying to see what fans ultimately make of it; I'm pretty sure a hundred posts will have a hundred different takes. Anyway, I think even those who could take or leave the interstitial material will have to agree that the Dylan/band performance itself is completely thrilling. Rapturous, I'd dare say. I can't wait to see it again.
    "Abraham, Martin and John" is on the DVD.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

OMG - from Andy Greene and the Bob-camp "source".

Now that details on Bob Dylan's new gospel-era collection Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979–1981 have surfaced, his team can turn their attention to future archival projects. Nothing is definite, but next year could finally see the release of a long-awaited documentary about the famed Rolling Thunder Revue tour of 1975–76 that will be paired with a box set of music from the era. "It's a great period and there's so much music that was so well-recorded," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "I think that'll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff. Hopefully it'll all come out next year."

There has been talk for years about a Blood on the Tracks box set that would include unheard solo acoustic demos from the first day of sessions with producer Phil Ramone, but that might get folded into the Rolling Thunder collection. "It's just a two-year period of Blood on the Tracks and Desire," says the source. "It's precipitous [at the moment] because we usually like to see how it all goes together."

The Rolling Thunder Revue featured Bob Dylan playing a series of theater shows with little advance notice on a bill that included Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn, Ramblin' Jack Elliott and many others. Dylan spent much of his offstage time shooting the surreal film Renaldo and Clara, which utilized many of the Rolling Thunder performers in acting roles. The upcoming documentary will incorporate unseen footage from the film shoot along with contemporary interviews with many of the participants. The Dylan camp has yet to announce what director was hired to oversee the project. The tour was already chronicled on the 1976 live album Hard Rain and a 2002 Bootleg Series collection, but those only scratched the surface of what's in the vault.

Beyond the Rolling Thunder documentary and accompanying box set, future chapters of the Bootleg Series might chronicle Dylan's 1993 acoustic shows at New York's Supper Club (which were professionally filmed) and some sort of examination of the Never Ending Tour. The latter is a particularly challenging project since it involves over 2,800 concerts between 1988 and the present day. Dylan's road crew has been recording shows dating back to the beginning of the Never Ending Tour, but the quality of them up until the mid-2000's is less than stellar.

"Some of them are recorded on DAT or other formats of the moment," says the source. "Who knew they wouldn't last? For a lot of years during the 1990s, there were these two fans and they would go and each would wear recording equipment in their hats and they'd sit in different sections so that the stuff would be stereo. Those tapes sound better than our board tapes."

In recent years, many artists have started offering their fans recordings of every single concert. Nugs.net – which facilitates this service for Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Phish, Metallica and many others – have approached Dylan's team without any luck. "We're not big believers in the live download the ways those guys are doing it," says the source. "People like it and we've thought about it for a lot of years, but we just don't know."

One problem the source points to is the lack of manpower on the road to oversee the taping. "In regards to front-of-house sound, we don't have the kind of organization that Bruce Springsteen has," says the source. "They have someone doing a separate mix and they're looking at it as a profit center. We focus our energy on what the live sound sounds like. If you get a board tape that someone hasn't done a remix of, you're always disappointed in what they sound like. They're not as electric as the shows themselves. That's one reason we choose the Rolling Thunder period. Someone was doing a separate board mix. All the way back to Richard Alderson, who did the 1966 tour, some engineers take it upon themselves to do both, but that is very hard."

But couldn't the Dylan organization simply hire a separate sound engineer to go on tour and create a mix for downloads? "That's not where we're at," says the source. "Again, our focus is to try and present a show in the moment to the people. And also, I don't know how many downloads we want to have out there. We're more excited about curating new stuff for people. If people really want to find that stuff, it's all over the Internet."

Many recent chapters of the Bootleg Series have explored neglected corners of Dylan's catalog, like 2013's Another Self Portrait. Dylan scholar Clinton Heylin would like the see more sets like that in the future. "I would love to hear a really good set that covers the Rundown [studios] era from 1977 to the end of 1981 that completely bypasses religious material," he says." There's reams and reams of phenomenal covers that they were doing at rehearsals, songs you'd never expect him to do like [Michael Johnson's] 'This Night Won't Last Forever' or 'Sweet Caroline.' These are songs that you think, 'My God, is he really going to try and tackle something like that?' He even does 'Rainbow Connection.' I mean, Jesus ... And they're fantastic."

Heylin would also like to see the Bootleg Series venture further into the Eighties. "Dylan was on a relative creative high in '84 and '85, but it's not reflected in the finished album of Empire Burlesque, which I can barely listen to," he says. "They'd have to go back to the original tapes so they could restore it to something that people can actually appreciate for an Empire Burlesque Bootleg Series. Personally speaking, I wish they'd include Knocked Out Loaded with that. I know they have a very low view of that album, but I suspect there's a bunch of very good stuff there that just simply never got counted. Then there's [1983's] Infidels. Just like in the Rundown period, he recorded something like 16 or 18 covers. He's singing great and has a great band. They could go to town with that one."

Unquote

adamos, BlueTrane, Beatlebug and 13 others like this.
  10. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

That is the beauty of being a fan of Dylan. 'You're right from your side I'm right from mine'.
    For me the Cutting Edge collectors edition was simply a work of art but to be honest the chase was better than the catch in some ways. I just ain't gonna play a whole disc with 20 odd versions of LARS. Simply beyond anyone's dreams that it was released but for me just something I ain't gonna play much. Where as the 79-81 set to me is far more interesting. Again just focussing on a period of 3 albums - but to me a very different listening experience and one I am pretty certain will get more plays that any other Bootleg Series.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Because that is how they decided to handle it. They probably felt that a fully live set captured the "spirit" of those Gospel years best.

HominyRhodes and Bryce like this.
  12. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Wow, there's a lot of information there, thanks for posting that. Makes you wonder which project will be the next 'road not taken' and which one they will, ultimately, decide to pursue.

Lars1966 and Percy Song like this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Look more closely: Saved is listed THREE times. It's on three out of four bands - in its entirety on Band 1, then split between Bands 3 & 4.

This might all be a lot less exciting than it seems, though. The Band 1 version might be the 3.42 edit (to keep that 'side' the right length), and the extra length of the second version could be entirely down to overlapping material (perhaps faded out and faded in) on the split version. Until somebody actually listens to this I wouldn't get excited about anything unique.

14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Sorry, Jesus set. Auto-correct is the devil.

Quincy, rednax, HominyRhodes and 2 others like this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That's some pretty deep talk considering the topic at hand!

Electric Sydney likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Money?

dbacon and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Because it really makes sense to buy the CD set. The sound will be identical, despite what people with $100,000 turntables say.

19. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Abraham, Martin & John, Let's Begin, We Just Disagree & Let's Keep It Between Us were great songs / covers from that time. Jesus Is The One, and Thief On The Cross underrated as well.

Scott6 and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  20. Waymore Lonesome

You mean the cheapskates? I sold my investment property for my turntable.

Imagine70 likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I guess I should have added in the cost of the tonearm, the cartridge, the base, the cables, and the absolutely pure electrons that run the thing. I know I'm not mentioning other key components before you reach the amplifier.

The main problem is that you cannot get pure sound if you live in a house that has a refrigerator, or if you live within 10 miles from a highway or 200 miles from an airport

mrjinks, smoke, SteveM and 2 others like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks for this!

A few thoughts..

That first paragraph has me very excited! The RTR era is the golden Dylan period for me. And to get a great documentary with *hopefully* at least a near complete concert in awesome visual quality would be a dream. I dont have an issue with BOTTs getting "folded into the RTR period. Sounds like BOOT like JWH just doesnt have enough outtake material to make a boxset.

I could invision some sort of from BOTT demo and outtakes to inceptions of the RTR through the documentary film to Desire with whatever outtakes etc there may be from those sessions and then build it to the concert footage and full blown versions of BOTT/Desire songs. Would make a helluva boxset.

I honestly dont see Dylan having the Supper Club concerts come out on film or in full blown form. What a dream to have a pro film of those dates though.

It is very disappointing if they have poorly documented professionally recordings of the NET period. Come on, they are telling me that in 2001-2002 they didnt have the man power, scale of equipment or whatever to professionally document this era?? No one was doing separate board mixes at some point from 88-2004??? That dog dont hunt.

"We're more excited about curating new stuff for people. If people really want to find that stuff, it's all over the Internet."

Huh? Isnt that why ya'll do the Bootleg Series sets?? In order to give the fans more of what they really desire that can and cant be had from the grey market? Sometimes I wonder about these guys and their logic.

Anyway, I hope one day some pro-mixed tapes are utilized and give us some vintage 2000-2002 Dylan and his Band concerts.

Im all for exploring Dylan doing the Rundown stuff and non religious set during the religious era. I think a two cd compilatikn would be awesome. People would see how he varied the classic songs during this period. An inner'esting time.

Same thing with the 80s.

Wasnt there some recent boot that gathered unheard rehearsal material? I think someone started a thread on that.

Percy Song likes this.
  23. Waymore Lonesome

Cables made of pure gold help though, provided they never exceed four inches in length. We could go on all day here.

SteveM and Imagine70 like this.
  24. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Your skepticism is warranted, but if it's possible that the road to salvation is 28 seconds longer than I'd previously believed, well...that's the kind of thing I need to know!!! :agree:

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Surely someone here has the 8-track and can settle this matter, right?