Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

Finished the set and the San Diego discs.

This release is truly a revelation. I am not the kind of fan listening to bootlegs (sound quality being important to my ears). But I heard for so long the same thing about the gospel years : « the live is where it gets brilliant ».

That was all true. I can’t believe such an amount of great material was kept in the vaults for so long.

Somewhat I am kind of sad, it was the last era unexplored. I’m sure some gems in Dylan vaults are still to be discovered, but I think no release will come close from this one or the Vol. 8 (the last GREAT revelation) in the future.

Even the DVD is something to behold with great live performances. Dylan was clearly into the material he was singing.

Oh and San Diego is great. Perhaps not to the point of spending 80 extra bucks, but no regret considering the great performances I will come back to quite often.

Bottom line : this set is a mandatory purchase.

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Norman, the answer is, it should have been included in the main set, especially when you consider they have included Earls Court 81, along with Toronto 80 which is reconstructed to run as a full show, making it's absense is a big glaring ommision from an otherwise excellent set,

I'm sick of these web site exclusives designed to gouge hard core fans, it's no wonder many folks go to the interwebs and download rather than pay for their music. I paid £103 GBP for my set from Amazon Italy, if I'd done so from the Dylan site, it would have cost an extra £58 just for two extra discs, no way could I justify that, in fact I bought both the Deluxe & Vinyl set for a total for the two of £158, £3 cheaper than the price of just the DE from the Dylan site.... Ridiculous!

3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'm only on Disc 3 at the moment (as a result of certain delays ;)) but this set just keeps on giving. I'm listening to a clutch of unreleased songs performed live at the moment and I'm staggered too that these things have been consigned to the vaults for all of these years. This is going to take a while to fully appreciate. Once I have listened to it all I'm going to have to check out all of the variants scattered on official albums and previous archive excavations to get the full picture and evolution of the various songs both in live and studio incarnations as well as rehearsal and soundcheck arenas. Who would have thought we would get all of this a few years back? And to think I ignored this period for so long. Not even the convoluted postal journey to my door (actually it never got near to my door, but that is another story) will ultimately spoil the enjoyment of this set.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    hodgo and SPARTACUS like this.
  4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And to think I ignored this period for so long.

The Dylan folks are clearly getting something very right. Another Self Portrait, Trouble No More... making one wonder what the next period to be ‘rehabilitated’ is going to be.

dormouse and hodgo like this.
  5. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I can't get enough of this take of Dead Man especially! That electric harmonica, spooky organ, and graveyard stomp make it sound like it could be a Time Out Of Mind outtake.

Adamski777, nbadge, cublowell and 2 others like this.
  6. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I have found the 96/24 version to be...not great sounding.

I love the material, but I was disappointed by the sound quality.

7. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Do you know what it's like in comparison to the CD release?

NYMets41 likes this.
  8. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I don't have the CDs

I've lots of hi res Dylan, include DSD of oh Mercy

I compared it to Tidal.

I also reported this to HD Tracks as I'm a regular customer.

It's just a bit muffled, similar to great quality bootlegs. I can't tell if it's the nature of the recordings.

I think even TIdal sounds a bit better.

I'm listening through Chord Hugo 2 and Beyerdynamic T1.2

The energy of the live performances is electrifying. But the magic of 24/96 is missing.

Anyone else try Sony's hi res release?

HD Tracks said it's they who recorded it. I purchased with the 15% off coupon.

subtr likes this.
  9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Absolutely. These releases are showing a clean pair of heels to most archive excavations. Now, if they can only get the shipping sorted we'll all be in musical heaven.

NumberEight likes this.
  10. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Interesting - might seek out a few choice tracks to compare with the CDs. Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

11. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I started with the San Diego show first. That version of Saved absolutely smokes. The wheels almost come off at one point, but the band is clearly enjoying the heck out of that song that night. Then What Can I Do for You is also beautiful. You can hear the crowd loves both songs. They explode after Saved. I always thought the review of the first San Francisco show, emphasizing how people hated it and left in droves, themes that still permeate negative Dylan concert reviews to this day, set the template for how people were expected to react for the next year or so. The funny part when you listen to tapes of the first shows in San Fran, it sounds like people liked them. This set, along with 40 years passing, will change the way that era is spoken of in the mainstream music press. Those of us who have been listening to the tapes all these years knew if was better than it's reputation.

streetlegal, Zeki, davers and 3 others like this.
  12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Very odd. I've had a listen to the first three tracks from the HiRes version (sourced through dubious means so I'm loathe to do a load more comparisons) and while there is a little bit of a difference, I really can't tell much difference, certainly not a muffled sound, so I'm not sure what to suggest!

NYMets41 likes this.
  13. bem

bem Forum Resident

Maybe the mid 80s

Sean Murdock and NumberEight like this.
  14. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

I t
    I might sound like an heretic here but...

Considering the good work on mixing / mastering for Bootleg 8, 10, 12 and 13, I think there is room for an new mix for some albums in the catalogue.

I mean for Another Selfportrait the songs sounded far better than the original album. That some strong mixing work I guess.

DmitriKaramazov and NYMets41 like this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Considering how many Dylan albums have already been remixed, hey, sure, why not a few more! Maybe a remix of Saved could save it?

(Bob Dylan, Another Side Of Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home X 2 plus the Cutting Edge Mixes, Highway 61 with the Cutting Edge mixes, Blonde On Blonde X 4? plus the Cutting Edge mixes, Basement Tapes sort of with 11 and the RSD, and Street-Legal)

16. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Not only is the content of the set superlative, the cd mastering is excellent. Highly crankable with no compression to be heard. I have the vinyl set and a/b ing to the cds show a virtual volume level match. CDs have a warm analog quality that definitely rivals their vinyl siblings.
    Buy either format with confidence. Just make sure it’s from Amazon. :agree:

dee and picassoson like this.
  17. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

The mastering done on this set is another example of Dylan's camp doing things right. I was slightly concerned with their recent approach to triplicate and more recent albums but they don't mess around with the bootleg series.

My vinyl set should be coming tomorrow.

18. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

Bob was a mild and subdued preacher in comparison to this. Surely the ultimate train-as-religious-metaphor sermon.

19. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

NumberEight likes this.
  21. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

just for clarity: I am speaking strictly of the 24/96 release. With hi res, the expectation is higher. "Muffling" may be strong, but those who are used to hi res files may know what I mean and may express it better than me.

I still Love the music, but, for example, Oh Mercy from CD to DSD is richer, deeper and sounds much more "opened up" than the CD.

For those who love Another Self Portrait; agreed. I liked Self Portrait, but I love Another!

I think there has to be more outtakes of Slow Train, Saved and Shot of Love...besides just the rehearsals. Its my guess.

I don't know if we will all be somewhat disappointed if/when Blood on the Tracks outtakes is released, unless there is material we have not heard. I LOVE "Blood on the Tapes" the New York Sessions.

Overall, the bootleg series has been wonderful.

22. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

23. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I'd just like to stop in and offer a quick apology for any distractions caused by the turbulent goings-on over in the BS V.13 pricing & shipping thread. Sorry! To everyone who already has their copy, please pay no attention to that thread! We hope to rejoin the party here ASAP. Carry on, people, by all means, carry on.

24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Just returned from Earl Court London 27 June 81. Tremendous. No other words needed. Wow. Why has this stuff been sitting on the shelf? After this weekend I now only have the shrink wrap on San Diego to crack open!

25. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

4 cds in. Some highlights - well, among the highlights.

What Can I Do For You & Covenant Woman from 1979 - What a joy it is finally to have these performances in soundboard quality! The audience tapes always left a lot to desire.
    Caribbean Wind live soundboard - This has been a personal holy grail ever since Heylin revealed it's existence in Recording Sessions. Too bad about the missing intro but can't have it all I guess. The rehearsal version is a beauty.
    Groom's Still Waiting live - Love Dylan's vocals on this one and great to have the alternate lyrics version available. Alternate studio take is also excellent.

Basically every performance on the first 2 cds is a gem!

Of the studio outtakes I really like the Slow Train outtakes. The two Saved outtakes on the other hand are disappointing, Pressing On is pretty dire actually. From the SOL outtakes Dead Man Dead Man is definitely the version that should have been on the album. You Changed My Life is inferior to the BS 1-3 version (good thing he lost that awkward chord change from the chorus!) and Watered-Down Love doesn't do much to me either. That said I found the live version on cd 2 surprisingly enjoyable. But yeah, three versions of this song while the beautiful booted Caribbean Wind stays in the can...