Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Hey, no need for apologies. You deserve to be screaming from the rooftops as do all other poor souls who are still awaiting deliveries.

I actually feel guilty being here while others are still suffering. However you are all in for a treat of unimaginable magnitude so keep strong. More than a week late but I've had a wonderful weekend wading through the music on this set. I really can't stress enough that this is a set worth waiting for. Perhaps I'm over compensating for the misery of last week but I really don't think so. :)

hodgo and HominyRhodes like this.
  2. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Thanks to my best bud who had the foresight to order from Amazon, I’ve been sufficiently flaced until my set arrives from Sandbag. Shout out to beartrackrecords! San Diego is yours once it arrives. Special shout out to the inter webs that without I would not have survived the wait.

beartrackrecords likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I feel for you too, HR and no apologies needed. The shipping issue has been a travesty and a debacle.

I hope your set arrives SOON and look forward to your posts on this INCREDIBLE set!!

— David

hodgo, DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  4. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I recall reading - in the various articles written about this release? - that rock radio disc jockeys read some of the initial reviews over the air in November 1979 - what Dylan was doing was big news and there was no other way for fans outside of the SF area to know what the hell was going on - so those negative reviews had a tremendous impact in prejudicing a lot of people against the music. (Plus, if the DJs had a negative view of what Dylan was doing, they would naturally read only bad reviews.)

I was 15 or so when STC came out and although I heard Gotta Serve Somebody and Slow Train on FM radio, I avoided the album. (I really liked Slow Train but thought the lyrics of Serve Somebody were dumb ("might like to drink milk ... might like to eat bread"? Seriously?!?) Then I somehow accepted the prevailing opinion that Saved was the worst album in the history of sound. Just unlistenable. It was decades before I bothered to actually listen to those albums. And despite not being religious at all, I loved them. And when I heard the live boots ... man, that was eye- and ear-opening. And this set is a revelation, even though I have played the boots a lot.

5. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I got the Vinyl set ant it is truly AMAZING! Great music, great mastering and flat and quiet records... The CDs that come with the box are pretty well sounding too. I was surprised how good this is!

Pawnmower likes this.
  6. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Also, the handwritten, typed, and edited pages of lyrics and notes that are reproduced in the books are fascinating. I wish there were so many more.

Percy Song, NicoRock and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

OK-you guys converted me. I just ordered the CD and am streaming it now. Very, very good. He should “go Christian” again.

8. seeofa

seeofa Well-Known Member

On the digital metadata of these sets, how much track version info do you guys put in the track title? Would you put the full date, venue, country, recording session, etc..? I can never settle how much to put.

9. Tom Keymeulen

Tom Keymeulen Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean, I have most of his studio albums in HI-res too and I must say, it's as if they are pumping the music directly into your ears, it's very satisfying.
    That's a sensation you don't get with these HI-res version of 'trouble no more'. It must be due to the quality of the recordings, what I read is that the live shows were recorded on an Otari MX 5050, I'm not very 'into' recording equipement but my guess is that the Otari MX 5050 is very decent professional recording equipement but comes nowhere near studio quality... and that's exactly what I think makes the difference. But, it was only after reading your post I started thinking about it. I must say I enjoy the HI-res version very much! Especially on high volume, it does very fine! I compared it with Tidal too, the first song on the Tidal sampler sound not so good imho and sounds much better on the HI-res version, the few other songs (not all) I heard are similar. I will be able to compare with the vinyl version in a few days... i hope.

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I don't like the song titles to be insanely long, but I want to be able to identify them. So if it's a live track, I'll put "[Live xx/xx/xx]" after the title; if it's anything else, I'll label it with a descriptor ("Take x," "Outtake," "Rehearsal," etc.) and the date, if available.

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I know!

The two releases I never really wanted to see were from these two periods. Whenever I saw folks mention the possibilty I used to silently yell at the screen NO!!. Now I'm more than happy to let the Dylan camp give me exactly want I don't want to see covered because they've given us two real beauties with the two.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

After reading Heylin's book, I'm curious why they used the BS1-3 take of "Ye Shall Be Changed" on BS13, as there were later Rundown versions that revamped the lyrics and arrangement (sorry I don't have quotes, but I no long have access to my e-book). They might not be as polished (or as good), but I have to imagine one of them would have been a more interesting inclusion (much like the alternate of "You Changed My Life).

Though, as I recall, Heylin wasn't always clear as to if certain performances were complete or not.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  13. Sean Murdock

I still wish there had been a disc that explored Bob's Christian songs beyond 1981 -- overt ones like "Man Of Peace" and more oblique ones like "Ring Them Bells." I understand why they wouldn't want to complicate the scope or the theme of the set, but even so, they included a repeat track in "Ye Shall Be Changed" but skipped another Christian original in "Property Of Jesus." Minor points on such a great set, admittedly.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I feel like I need to invest in some museum grade white gloves in order to flip through the pages of the books that came with the deluxe edition.

It's really nicely done, but the black smudges with every page so I closed it up for the time being. I was able to buff them out, but come on...they had to know that the finish used for these pages would attract all of the prints.

siveld, bluesbro and Percy Song like this.
  15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Even today I roll my eyes at "You may call me RJ, you may call me Ray". Enjoying the new set anyway, though in my eyes 1979-81 will never approach periods like 65-66, 74-75, and even 1978, even after the usual excellent Bootleg Series rehabilitation. :)

16. DeeThomaz

Just to make your eyes roll further, I had always heard that line as "OJ" (and assumed it was in regards to the football player who went on to later, er, fame). I only realized I was wrong for all those years in the wake of this new set's announcement. Not sure why I admit things like this.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Zeki, matt79rome89, Mr. D and 4 others like this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Did you notice he uses "Jimmy" instead of "Zimmy" on the alternate studio take?

18. DeeThomaz

I've been geeking out on them too (sorry for what could seem like an implied insult, that's not how I see it).

19. Sean Murdock

I always saw "Gotta Serve Somebody" as the sugar-coated TV jingle version of Bob's new phase, designed to be non-threatening and draw people in for the real meat of "Slow Train," "When You Gonna Wake Up," et al. -- so it doesn't surprise me that he would quote a TV jingle in the song. The reference is completely lost on most people these days, but back in 1979 the Ray J. Johnson character was definitely a viral sensation (if such a term had existed back then).

20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

21. DeeThomaz

Did he? The disc 3 version? I just re-listened, and it ended before the final verse. Did I miss something, or are you referring to another version of the song?

22. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

It's the rehearsal-with-horns that has "Jimmy" (speaking of which, one of my few minor complaints with this set is the way some rehearsal tracks fade [like this one]; fading a breakdown ending seems unnecessary for this kind of release; I'd rather hear the ending)

23. DeeThomaz

Ah!

RayS likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I muddied the waters with my description, sorry.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  25. Sean Murdock

This!

Spadeygrove and DeeThomaz like this.