Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Is it commonly accepted that those are "train" noises the ladies are making? I saw that in the Heylin book too (because of course I flipped right to that section before starting reading), but I always assumed they were making, ya know, "wind" noises. "Wooosh"... "Aaaah" etc.

2. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Yeah, I like the live Caribbean Wind and all, but I find it falls pretty far short of Heylin's hyperbolic claims about it. I enjoy the rehearsal version on the box much more, and until other versions surface this will probably remain the definitive version for me.

I can't remember - is Heylin also the guy who said they should've included the electric version of Blind Willie McTell on the first Bootleg Series instead of the acoustic? If so, I can't say we're exactly on the same page... :shake:

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The train whistle effect on the '81 "Slow Train"s I can definitely hear ("Wooot Wooot!"). For "CW" I hear "che" alternating with "ah" ... more wind than train, I'm with you.

Sean Murdock and Percy Song like this.
  4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes. He's the guy, and I agree with you.

L.

SteveM and picassoson like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

6 word review: Dylan great, backing singers extremely annoying.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sometimes I think that if release patterns were reversed, the same critics would have still complained (in other words, contradicted themselves) that the wrong version was issued first. Life is too short to spend it complaining about Dylan's releases.

SteveM and picassoson like this.
  7. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Trouble In Mind book yet, I might though once I digest the music for a bit. But I've very much enjoyed Clinton Heylin's books because he has written the books I always wished someone would write. I've always been more interested in the songs than the lives of the songwriters, and I have never really been satisfied in that regard, until I read Revolution In The Air and Still On The Road. Those two books are the ultimate for me. Every song listed in chronological order along with all the pertinent information, and thoughtful and very well researched analysis. Now I was surprised by his opinions towards several of the songs, but not to the point of being bothered by it.

While we're talking about Clinton Heylin, i've been wondering if he'll ever update those two books given all the new information that's come to light with these new Bootleg Series sets. I've been adding to his table of contents and changing numbers etc. I haven't checked but I assume I'm gonna have to go through again and update this gospel era too. Anyway, love his books, and wish I had books covering the songs of Neil Young and Lou Reed like Heylin has done with Bob Dylan. I should mention too that he does have a good songlist like this for Bruce Springsteen in a recent book I can't recall the title of right now, though it only covers a portion of his career.

8. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

6 Word Review - Take 2: Dylan great, backing singers also great.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

So great, he married one

BurtThomasWard and Dflow like this.
  10. London Jeff

London Jeff New Member

Love this set.
    Does anyone know the words to the last (unrecorded) verse of Watered-Down Love?
    I've got:
    "Love that’s pure is not what you teach me
    I’ve got to go where it can reach me
    I’ve got to be ??????????
    You miscalculate me for taking my kindness for weakness."
    But what's the missing bit?

11. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Man, I'm loving the 78 souncheck versions, so funky so dirty, Billy Cross was underrated. I think this version of Caribbean Wind might be my favourite, the whole song is kind of mournful, makes the rock 'n' roll rush you get off the faster versions feel a bit silly, I can't believe the guy can write that song, then not get it right, and just shelve it, I mean, it's probably the best song of the entire 75-88 era.

12. Agreed! Anyone who claims Under The Red Sky is superior to Oh Mercy, let alone Time Out Of Mind isn't exactly singing from my hymn sheet either!

13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the new book.

His Springsteen book, published in 2012/2013 is called (long intake of breath):- "E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band". Still on the shelf waiting to be read here.

His book on Van Morrison, "Can You Feel The Silence? Van Morrison: A New Biography" is recommended also, although apparently not by Van Morrison. :D

#

Waymore Lonesome, Syscrusher and Zeki like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Heylin don't use no hymn sheet. He uses a himself sheet.

revolution_vanderbilt and SteveM like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A perfect image of Dylan during this tour (from Expecting Rain today). No more hat!

[​IMG]

16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

At this point, the live Toronto discs may be my favorite performances in this set.

Then again, that's what I'm listening to right now. :)

Dflow, poolie and picassoson like this.
  17. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Great shot. I didn't mind the hat so much - now it's the harmonica playing I miss.

enro99 likes this.
  18. RayS

"I got to flee, towards patience and meekness"

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It changes all the time but still-the Toronto discs are truly majestic. Imo as good as music can be. Totally mezmerising stuff

jpmosu likes this.
  20. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

THIS THIS THIS. I recall reading that statement, then being sorely disappointed in the electric version... with the chuckle, and the "run-through" insensitivity of the backing band. The acoustic version is extraordinary! And the pedal-steel rehearsal is the best I've heard Caribbean Wind, period.

Having said all that... bring on BS14. The hype/confirmation bias around here and Expecting Rain forums is way out of sorts regarding BS13.

enro99 and picassoson like this.
  21. RayS

Your post is so awesome. Best period I've ever read! The thirty seconds I spent reading it were well-invested, so glad I chose to read it!!!

22. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Yours too! Let's gather at the river w/ tambourines and backing vocalists and sing hymns of praise to our posts!

Waymore Lonesome likes this.
  23. RayS

I'm with you, but we should gather by the lake, because it rhymes with ...

24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

sssssssssssssssssss.............

L.

25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Dog?