Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Has anybody ripped the deluxe set yet? Any problems with the metadata via I tunes?

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree fully-the acoustic version of Blind Willie McTell is the real deal. The pedalsteel Caribbean Wind has a certain magic I don t find on the other versions good as they are
    And of course being on Bootleg series 14, 15,16 and on and on...
    Until then Im grateful of the way stuff like Trouble no more makes my world a better one.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  3. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

There. Corrected the typing error for you :goodie::wave:

jimbo3688 and Bemagnus like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Thanks-corrected it a bit myself:)

Wugged likes this.
  5. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I´ve had my first listen to most of the box (not Earl´s Court yet) and a just a few short comments:

I am blown away, simply blown away, by Toronto on first listen.

I think it´s cool that the first 4 discs all start with a version of Slow Train. It looked weird when I just read the track listing, but it makes total sense now.

I much prefer the alternate takes of Watered Down Love and Dead Man, Dead Man to the SoL takes. They are much funkier and groovier here, less plodding "rock", somehow.

That´s it for now. This may very well turn out to be the BS release I treasure the most.

6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

When You Gonna Wake Up from Oslo is a terrible recording, expecially the background vocals. I wonder why they haven't chosen a different concert from other multitrack recordings (I don't remember how Avignon sounded for that particular track).

7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

While I don't agree with some of the 'incorrect' opinions (hehehe) expressed in this thread, no one can claim that any better writing about Trouble No More is being done by anyone, anywhere else, in any medium or format. Brilliant -- and I mean brilliant -- observations and articulate insights are being offered up here by people who truly understand the full depth and breadth of Bob Dylan's work, and they're doing it for no money down, free of charge. I don't have the Clinton H. book, but I can't imagine him exploring Dylan's Gospel era material in a more insightful manner than is being done right here by the members of this forum.
    To re-use one of Bob's old song dedications, "You know who you are," and you deserve our gratitude.:edthumbs:

That's my Happy Thanksgiving message this year, even as I gallop along at the tail end of the BS V.13 wagon train, a thousand miles behind, hollering "Hey, guys, wait up for me..." :sweating:

8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The "cruel " and bitter attacks against supposed errors of the poor Krogsgaard are quite embarrassing.

DmitriKaramazov and RayS like this.
  9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Does this mean you've removed the shrink wrap at last, @HominyRhodes ?

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

What does Tom Hagen say to Michael Corleone in "Godfather II"? "You WON ... do you feel that you need to wipe everybody out?"

Clinton - you won. Clearly you've be anointed the First Toy Maker to the King. Yes, they let "the Dane" into the archive first - get over it already, will ya? I'm fairly certain no one wants to read about your grudge. Probably a good portion of the audience doesn't even understand what you're alluding to any more.

11. Biggest shocker for me on this set - Dylan's handwritten lyrics writing the word "vulture" as "vulcher" !!!

Really?

A 38 year old man thinks that is how the word is spelled - it is not even phonetically correct... yet he would go on to win the Nobel Prize for Literature nearly 40 years later! :)

12. RayS

Close enough, for all intended purposes. :)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Words and their spellings evolve over time. That's how they will spell "vulture" in the "fucher" ... ;)

14. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I've gotten through the first two discs. I think my feelings can be summed up concisely:

The Slow Train Coming performances are great. Everything else... is essential.

The Saved songs are unsurprisingly better than their album counterparts. That speaks both to the high quality of the performances and to the less than optimal studio renditions. Furthermore, hearing them slotted alongside STC tracks probably helps. The Shot Of Love songs are unexpectedly good. And by that, I mean I didn't really expect them to be that much more intense than the album versions. Well, except that I did here some of Shot Of Love live while ripping the DVD, and it certainly got me excited to hear more. Having Carlos Santana dig into Groom might be a highlight among the later material, but all of is very strong.

I know you're referring to the studio outtakes, but the bit I bolded is just as apt in comparing the live versions to the album. (Not that In The Summertime was ever plodding.)

Oh, and I'm glad to have the live Caribbean Wind, but I can't say that it bests the Biograph or bootlegged version. (Well, maybe the bootlegged version, but there is a certain novelty charm about that one...)

shadow blaster and Sean Murdock like this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I rhink I may prefer the pedal-steel rehearsal version over all of 'em....

16. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

That's what heaps of us are saying, my first thought listening to it was oh this is the way it should have been.

Sean Murdock and streetlegal like this.
  17. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Life would get very confusing indeed if a lone voice, exhilarated by the latest release, were to shout:

"Judas!"

"We want to hear your Jesus songs!"

18. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

:eek:

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Many of the Dylan fans I know believe the Biograph version of CW to be poor/inferior to the live version from the 1980 Warfield show which circulated on tape. I never liked the kind of wind noises much - a bit cheesy in my opinion which is not something I would associate with a Dylan recording. Mrs Torch likes the studio version on the new box with the pedal steel guitar.

DeeThomaz and Sean Murdock like this.
  20. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Not counting the Toronto, London and San Diego shows, I've made a really good chronological 2 CD best of. There are a few casualties (Ain't No Man Righteous, Jesus Is The One, some of the Shot of Love material), but not many. The idea was to use each song only once. It's my own personal choice, obviously; but I'm very happy with it.

Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (Soundcheck)
    Trouble In Mind (Take 1)
    Ye Shall Be Changed (Outtake)
    When He Returns (Take 2)
    Saving Grace (Live Nov. 6, 1979)
    Pressing On (Live Nov. 6, 1979)
    Gotta Serve Somebody (Live Nov. 15, 1979)
    Precious Angel (Live Nov. 16, 1979)
    Slow Train (Live Nov. 16, 1979)
    Blessed Is The Name (Live Nov. 20, 1979)
    Solid Rock (Live Nov. 27, 1979)
    What Can I Do For You? (Live Nov. 27, 1979)
    Saved (Live Jan. 12, 1980)
    Man Gave Names To All The Animals (Live Jan. 16, 1980)
    In The Garden (Live Jan. 27, 1980)

Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking (Live Jan. 31, 1980)
    Covenant Woman (Take 3)
    Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody (Live Apr. 24, 1980)
    Are You Ready? (Live Apr. 30, 1980)
    Cover Down, Pray Through (Live May 1, 1980)
    I Believe In You (Live May 16, 1980)
    Caribbean Wind (Rehearsal with pedal steel)
    Making A Liar Out Of Me (Rehearsal)
    Yonder Comes Sin (Rehearsal)
    Rise Again (Rehearsal)
    The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar (Live Nov. 13, 1980)
    City Of Gold (Live Nov. 22, 1980)
    When You Gonna Wake Up? (Live July 9, 1981)
    Shot Of Love (Live July 25, 1981)
    Thief On The Cross (Live Nov. 10, 1981)
    Every Grain Of Sand (Live Nov. 21, 1981)

21. Flaming Torch

Maybe it is me and the Dylan fans I know but again the vast majority of fans I have ever spoken to about Blind Willie prefer the electric version with that wonderful vocal and superb electric guitar to the Bootleg Series 1 to 3 version.

Regandron and mickdoby like this.
  22. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

No-one quite does the frizzled-fro-mullet quite like the Zimmer.

23. Flaming Torch

Yes I always like books about how/where and when. The Beatles sessions book is always a favourite of mine along with Luis Rey's Led Zeppelin tape guide. One of the things I did not know or had forgotten is the additional verse for Hanging on to a Solid Rock with its "No one said it's easy not to slip up" line reminding me of the great Little Feat song.

Syscrusher likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

I now have the high resolution download and will put a chronological set together of discs 1 to 4. One the great things about downloads.

25. RayS

I don't dislike the "Biograph" version. That's the version that got me hooked on the song. But of the 4 circulating performances, I'd put it on the bottom of the heap. Like Heylin, I reserve my hyperbole of "best single Dylan vocal performance ever" for a one-off live performance, but in my case it's "Abandoned Love" from The Other End. A lot of great lines survived into the "Biograph" version, and I don't dismiss performances based on overproduction. But the HEART of the song isn't there. The heart of the song is the narrator contemplating marriage, living in sin, or ... none of it matters because she already left while he was thinking. Shades of "Eternal Circle", but taken in a different direction.

Learning the true chronology (that the still-unreleased studio outtake that we thought was a demo(!) comes AFTER the uber-polished version) is still pretty mind blowing. The more we learn about the pains of birth associated with "CW", the more we understand why he walked away.