Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I think it was first bootlegged on Genuine Bootleg Series Volume 1.

RayS likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think I have that one on my old genuine bootleg series. Haven t listened to that stuff in ages

3. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

I'm not so sure about that version, the verses sound like he's deliberately doing a bored feeling, and then the chorus is very Ron Burgundy. Nearer? To the Fire? I'd put money on that one being the take where he pulled the pin and said screw this stupid song. Funny I like it anyway though.

I'm less dubious about Bob's literariness, if anything I think he probably reads too much. I don't think it's surprising that he would want to read what the influential thinkers of the time are saying, and Ayn was incredibly influential, I can feel the influence trickling down on me to this day.

lschwart likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

As I type I'm wearing a "Make America Grateful Again" t-shirt. Clinton wouldn't be seen Dead that way. :)

5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I interpreted @mikeja75 post as track 1 and 15 of your listing is the same version. No?

6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well Dylan certainly liked Barry Goldberg but I'm not sure how that fits in here.

;)

RayS and TeddyB like this.
  7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

All this talk of CW got me digging through my old CDR's and files a few weeks ago.

I did locate the GBS version, but wanted to point out that I had another random version (same take) in much poorer quality. I don't mean lossy or MP3, more like a higher-gen tape. The point is, people should dig around until they find the good one.

I think I read some posts about the poor audio quality, perhaps they had the inferior copy.

CusBlues likes this.
  8. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Yep - Im with you!

CusBlues likes this.
  9. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

So the correct order is:
    Pedal Steel, Live, GBS, Biograph? :confused:

CusBlues likes this.
  10. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

The Deluxe is currently €104,30 at amazon.it as part of the black friday deals.

CusBlues likes this.
  11. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

So I'm thinking of picking up the deluxe in the Black Friday sale... I've been rocking the 2CD set since it came out a few weeks ago, and really enjoying it. Anyone care to sway me either way?

CusBlues likes this.
  12. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

That may have been what the notes intended, but it's not true. Different takes for sure.

CusBlues likes this.
  13. highway

highway Forum Resident

This many pages in and what? Maybe two negative reviews of this release. And I'd argue those people probably didn't listen to it. To start with, the bootleg series in general is must listen. Specific to this release, the combination of a primo backing band, surprisingly good guitarist, backup singing done right and Dylan bringing it on the vocal has led me to linger with each disc. The first occasion of goosebumps was Precious Angel from the first disc, but that sensation has been repeated.

I buy a number of box sets - their booklike qualities are a bonus beyond the music. Sometimes I listen through twice and that's it. I may get back to them. This box set is on a different level. To be getting new Bob Dylan music in this much quality from when he was at a peak as a performer is simply a gift and a blessing.

14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'd also like to know which version to go with. I'm heading out on a Black Friday B&M buying trip in the next 45 minutes and still not sure which set to go for. I haven't researched and read up on the options but I always like vinyl. I'm going,I'm going.....I'm gone.

15. RayS

Pedal Steel, Live, Biograph, GBS. For GBS he reverted to earlier lyrics, just to confuse us all.

The Bard, hoggydoggy and Sean Murdock like this.
  16. RayS

At least I picked a real person for my typo. Better than me making someone up entirely. :)

17. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Trouble No More Playlists

I’m loving Trouble No More and really haven’t been able to get enough of it since it came out. As others have said, its arrangement kind of suggests five individual (2 Disc) playlists for listening with San Diego, Toronto, London, Live and Rare & Unreleased.

However, one of the pleasures of reading the Heylin book (which I think is really fantastic) alongside listening to Trouble No More has been recreating some of the “might’ve been” or “shoulda been” permutations of this material that Heylin suggests in his book. So far I have three playlists based on Trouble in Mind that I’ve also been giving some heavy rotation.

The first is based on what Heylin says was the originally submitted sequencing for Slow Train Coming and he lists in his book [Heylin, TIM, page 50] (some

of this playlist has been adjusted from Heylins research of the original sequence, according to what we have in the set and has been released, as I limited this to studio material to be consistent).

Slow Train Coming Original Sequence:

Slow Train (STC)

Trouble in Mind (take 1, TNM)

Do Right to Me Baby (STC)

Gonna Change My Way of Thinking (STC)

When You Gonna Wake Up (STC)

Ain’t No Man Righteous, No Not One (take 6, TNM) [i added it, as Heylin says it was considered, but there was never going to be enough room for it and “Trouble in Mind”]

Precious Angel (STC)

I Believe in You (STC)

Gottta Serve Somebody(take 1, TNM)

Man Gave Names to all the Animals (STC)

When He Returns (take 2, TNM)

The second play list is the oft mentioned live version of Saved that Heylin and many of his interviewees suggest is what should’ve been released after they came off the road to record following the first gospel tour and are the stand alone live versions (not from San Diego, Toronto or London) from TNM of the songs they attempted in the studio (the sequence is mine as no specifics are suggested and there’s no “Satisfied Mind”, as it’s not included live in the set).

Saved Live:

What Can I Do For You (11.27.79, TNM)

Covenant Woman (11.20.1979, TNM)

Solid Rock (Live, Toronto, TNM [here I included the Toronto live version, as the version from the “live” disc is October and a different band then the first two gospel tours and the band recording Saved])

In The Garden (1.27.80, TNM)

Saving Grace (11.6.1979, TNM)

Saved (1.12.80, TNM)

Are You Ready? (4.30.80, TNM)

Pressing On (11.6.79, TNM)

Blessed Is The Name (11.20.79, TNM [also attempted in the studio for the Saved sessions but not on album)

And the last one, which is certainly my most listened to, is a version of Shot of Love, based on Heylin’s writing in Trouble in Mind, as well as Still on the Road, and my own favorites from this amazing period of Dylan’s writing. It really confirms for me what an outstanding album Shot of Love might’ve been and certainly what a tremendous collection of songs. The sequence is mine, and has a logic to it for me (see below).

Shot(s) of Love:

Shot of Love (outtake, TNM)

Need a Woman (BS 1-3)

Angelina (BS 1-3)

Caribbean Wind (rehearsal with pedal steel, TNM)

The Grooms Still Waiting at the Altar (SOL)

Yonder Comes Sin (rehearsal, TNM)

Making a Liar out of Me (rehearsal, TNM)

Dead Man Dead Man (outtake, TNM)

In the Summertime (SOL)

Every Grain of Sand (SOL)

Here again I chose all studio versions to be consistent . I like how you get the kind of “need some love songs” with the first two. Then I keep the vaunted trilogy together with the next three, but they also work with “Angelina” and “CW” answering that “need a woman” plea, before the groom is left at the altar. Next is the “fall” with “Sin” and “Liar” after he’s left abandoned. Of course we then have to look in the mirror, as Bob said about “Dead Man” (and how good is this version on TNM?!!! Wow.). Before a little peace and/or redemption and/or mercy with “Summertime” and “Sand”.

I also have put together the chronological playlist suggested and compiled here.

Any otherTrouble No More playlists out there? (And this is not to say that the sequencing as is isn’t effective!).

Bryce, redsock, Mr. D and 4 others like this.
  18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Like John Galt or Eddie Willers, for example? ;)

#

19. RayS

John Galt? Who is John Galt?

EddieMann and Percy Song like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

A character in "Atlas Shrugged". . . .

21. RayS

Sorry, poor attempt at humor on my part. :)

I've even driven past John's billboard on I-95 numerous times.

[​IMG]

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

“When He Returns” from Toronto on April 20, 1980. Disc #5, Track #5.
    Oh. My. God. (Pun not intended.)
    What an amazing, captivating performance. Bob at his all-time best. Just go listen.

23. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Was Bob playing piano too?? I agree its wonderful.

rstamberg and redsock like this.
  24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I haven't done any playlists based on BS1 yet, but I love yours and the thought that went into them. :righton: I had a couple planned, and now you've got me thinking about "alternate album" playlists! For now, though, I will probably end up with four playlists drawn from / affected by Trouble No More:

1. Imaginary 2-disc version of BS13: Two "traditional" Bootleg Series discs (65-75 mins), non-chronological (but roughly in the order the songs were WRITTEN), and mixed studio and live. Only a few song duplications, with all the major songs represented.

2. Multi-disc "Property of Jesus" playlist: This one MAY start all the way back with "Sign On The Cross" and extend all the way through the 2000s, tracing the seeds of his spiritual restlessness and continuing into the ambiguous "post-Gospel" years. This way I can include personal pre-conversion favorites like "Changing Of The Guards" and "Senor" and also more vaguely "Christian" apocalyptic songs like "When The Night Comes Falling" and "Ain't Talkin'." (Note to skeptics: There's a big difference between using biblical imagery -- as Bob has ALWAYS done -- and really exploring his own spiritual feelings or eschatological beliefs. "Father Of Night" definitely feels spiritual to me, albeit not of any particular religion; while "Forever Young" feels like a prayer, but "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" doesn't strike me as spiritual despite the topic. "With God On Our Side" is definitely about religious hypocrisy, but is Bob wondering about his own soul at this point? I don't think that really started until he had kids.)

3. Bob Dylan "greatest hits" playlist for Gospel period: I have Bob's career broken down into several custom "best of" CDs, and every time there's a new Bootleg Series, at least one of them needs to be re-evaluated. In this case, it's going to be tough because there is SO much new material and I already have an 80 minute playlist stuffed with favorites. I'm pretty strict about keeping my playlists at 80 minutes (CD length) or 90 (old-school mixtape length), so this process will not be easy. I don't like my career-spanning "best of"s to span fewer than three and more than four albums -- to give a fair and honest overview of every period -- and my current "Gospel Bob" playlist includes Street-Legal. Probably no longer -- the best of the best of BS13 will cause a ripple effect throughout my 1970s Bob playlists. What used to be the Pat Garrett / Planet Waves / Blood / Desire playlist (with a couple of Rolling Thunder tracks thrown in) will now be split into a better "early 70s ending with BOTT" playlist and a new Desire / RT / Hard Rain / Street Legal playlist -- clearing room for a new 1979-81 track list. This is more info than anyone needs, I know!

4. Bob Dylan "best of the Bootleg Series" playlists: Because I love too much Bob for it to be contained in mere "best of" playlists, I've got a parallel set of "Best of the Bootleg Series" playlists, as if Vol. 1-3 keeps getting upgraded and expanded with every new BS release. To me, each Bootleg Series track belongs in one of four categories: (1) straight into the "main canon" of greatest hits (see #3) -- stuff like "Blind Willie McTell" and "Ain't Gonna Go To Hell"; (2) "should have been on the imaginary 6-CD version of the very first box" -- i.e., the best or most famous of the rest, like "Workin' On A Guru"; (3) "Pretty good for an outtake" (just about everything else); and (4) "Don't need to hear again" (not much, but there are some!).

The lesson here for everyone? Don't get me started on playlists! :wave:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, it is amazing -- and I'm not positive, but maybe the same performance as on the DVD? Either way, Bob plays piano on that one, so probably all of the live ones.

rstamberg and DeeThomaz like this.