Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I tend to prefer listening to the first half of the gospel shows. I have to say, though, I really, really enjoyed the second Earls Court disc tonight. I love Willie Smith’s keyboard throughout, and there’s not a bad song on there. Maybe there are better individual song choices from other European shows, for sure, but this show works great as a complete concert.

I think there is so much good stuff on this release, a lot of good material is (dis)missed. The first three songs on disc one are probably without match on the tour.

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

After several months with the set, I wish the ‘81 live material had been handled differently. Earl’s Court might not be a particularly above-average era show, but I do enjoy it and enjoy the highlights. But: to me the whole point of including an ‘81 show is to demonstrate how the gospel band sound evolved and adapted to his secular hits (and vice versa). Without including more secular material from other shows, it diffuses the whole point.

3. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

I didn't notice anything mentioned about this, but is there much in the vault from the
    JWH sessions? Perhaps I should dig out Clinton Heylin's Bob Dylan: The Recording Sessions
    for my answer.

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

JWH sessions were relatively quick (only about three days of work), but there's apparently lots of alternate takes of the album songs (but no unreleased compositions). These have been heard and talked about by people in the know (one article in Rolling Stone quoted someone who'd checked out the Tulsa archive and said that some "Watchtower" alternate takes were staggering) but are uncirculating in the fan community. The powers that be apparently don't hold this stuff in priority though, as they didn't bother securing EU copyright with an end-of-year 2017 anniversary set (although personally I wouldn't read too much into that. Plenty of great 60s archive material from legacy artists hasn't been copyright-protected, and I don't think that'll change future-release plans at all).

lbgarcia and Sean Murdock like this.
  5. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

This has been discussed in several different threads in the past year. Copied from a post by @Percy Song :

The sessions according to Michael Krogsgaard:-

There have been rumours of a September 1967 session prior to the actual recording of John Wesley Harding. There are no session dates in Bob Dylan's name in the Nashville log books prior to the three John Wesley Harding sessions. For the first two sessions, all details are available:

Studio A
    Columbia Recording Studios
    Nashville, Tennessee
    October 17, 1967, 9 pm - 12 midnight.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. Drifter's Escape CO120927 Take 1C
    2. Drifter's Escape Take 2C
    3. Drifter's Escape Take 3b
    4. Drifter's Escape Take 4b
    5. Drifter's Escape Take 5C

6. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine CO120928 Take 1B
    7. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine Take 2C
    8. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine Take 3C
    9. I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine Take 4C

10. The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest
    CO120929 Take 1C

Musicians: Charlie McCoy (bass) and Kenneth Buttrey (drums).

2, 9 and 10 released on John Wesley Harding.

Studio A
    Nashville, Tennessee
    November 6, 1967, 6:00 - 9:30 pm.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. All Along The Watchtower CO120955 Take 1b
    2. All Along The Watchtower Take 2C
    3. All Along The Watchtower Take 3C
    4. All Along The Watchtower (Insert) Take 1b
    5. All Along The Watchtower (Insert) Take 2C

6. John Wesley Harding CO120956 Take 1C
    7. John Wesley Harding Take 2C

8. As I Went Out One Morning CO120957 Take 1C
    9. As I Went Out One Morning Take 2C
    10. As I Went Out One Morning Take 3B
    11. As I Went Out One Morning Take 4b
    12. As I Went Out One Morning Take 5C

13. I Pity The Poor Immigrant CO120958 Take 1b
    14. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 2C
    15. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 3b
    16. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 4C
    17. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 5B
    18. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 6B
    19. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 7b
    20. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 8B
    21. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 9B
    22. I Pity The Poor Immigrant Take 10C

23. I Am A Lonesome Hobo CO120959 Take 1C
    24. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 2b
    25. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 3C
    26. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 4C
    27. I Am A Lonesome Hobo Take 5C

A splice of 3 and 5, and 7, 12, 22, 27 released on John Wesley Harding.

For the third session, the session tape has been located but not been available for examination yet:

Studio A
    Nashville, Tennessee
    November 29, 1967, 6:00 - 9:00 pm and 9:00 - 12 midnight.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. Wicked Messenger CO120960

2. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight CO120961

3. Down Along The Cove CO120962

4. Dear Landlord CO120963

6-9 pm: The Wicked Messenger and I'll Be Your Baby Tonight recorded.
    9-12 pm: Down Along The Cove, and Dear Landlord recorded.

9-12: Pete Drake (steel guitar).

All tracks released on John Wesley Harding.

6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

They should just release the lot!

7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

[​IMG]

8. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I agree but since it didn't happen in late 2017 to protect the copyright, it is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future...

9. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I love that so much discarded stuff of Dylan's has seen the light of day recently. But I can't help thinking that, if there's any album that doesn't need extra tracks, it's John Wesley Harding.

timnor and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  10. streetlegal

There’s so much to love about this release that it is hard to know where to start, let alone where to end. It’s easier, perhaps, to pick out its flaws, because the riches are so great.

This is euphoric music, feverish at times, and unique in Dylan’s storied canon.

My main regrets: the best version of "What Can I Do For You" wasn’t chosen from Toronto (I'm referring to the widely released filmed bootleg version), and a curated version of Earls Court might have better represented the particular tour in all its greatness.

But I simply love this collection. It has kept me company throughout a daunting year of my life.

For me, among the main surprises is that I have grown to really enjoy two "list songs" which seem to have the life breathed into them in concert—the full-on rock of "Serve Somebody" and the jazzy groove of "Do Right Unto Me" leave the studio performances in the dust.

Does anyone else have any personal discoveries they would like to share after immersing themselves in this particular release? Any standouts revealed themselves to you over the last few months? It can't just be me who has bathed in the glory of this collection!

enro99, Omara31, DeeThomaz and 5 others like this.
  11. streetlegal

. . . if you haven't watched the dvd much, I recommend watching "Cover Down Pray Through" in the extras. It's where it all comes together. The most vital clip from the released concert footage.

SteveFff likes this.
  12. streetlegal

The songs on disc one are pretty mind-blowing. "When You Gonna Wake Up" from Drammen in particular, phew.

SteveFff and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. streetlegal

PS Bob--or Bob's team (I know you're looking in)--thanks for your incalculable gifts, and a very happy birthday!!

14. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

The focus of TBS Vol 13 is clearly the live material as opposed to studio outtakes, which is actually what I'm most interested in. Unfortunately this could mean it will be a long time before we ever see the outtakes from Shot of Love, as they are unlikely to revisit this era in the near future (unless they combined with with an Infidels type release which is doubtful).

15. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I’ve been revisiting it a great deal lately. I love how well it’s curated with four to five distinct listening experiences (whole shows, best of a run, live versions, rare and unreleased, etc.). Plus so many wonderful ways it’s shed light on this period, I’ve been able to create my own playlists of original album sequences (such as original STC or Live Saved) or wished-for versions of albums (a SoL version), etc. And the individual tracks are just so strong—fantastic versions of these songs. To answer your question, I think the outtake version on the box of “Dead Man Dead Man” is outstanding! I was playing that one thru a few times yesterday. Really good. Quite unique. Great playing.

16. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

"Gotta Serve Somebody" (Warfield Theatre, November 15, 1979). Did Jim Keltner play on that one???

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

disagree. dylan's variations are incredible.

SteveFff, Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I don't agree. I got the bonus discs based on, I think, your post :D (or someone else's here), and I don't share that opinion. It's nice to have them, but the box proper is more than enough. 6/27 to me is clearly the best live show in the set because he starts to mix his back catalog in with the religious songs, "Blowin' In the Wind" is rendered in a style close to the religious songs, and who doesn't like "It's All Over Now Baby Blue?" And you get a reggae-influenced "Knockin' On Heaven's Door."

The San Diego show, to me, is only "essential" if you are a completist, and have to have everything.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  19. I am, and I sure do. Absolutely love the bonus San Diego show. Cherry on the Sundae!

rstamberg, jimbo3688, redsock and 4 others like this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The late Timothy Leary.

21. Omara31

Omara31 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. This collection is a singing genius in absolute peak form singing with an intensity, commitment and passion unmatched in Dylan’s performing career - and that is saying something. I own everything (including all live performances) between 1959 - 2003 (haven’t sought everything live after this year) and I have “bathed in the glory” of this stunning collection. Oh and I’m a long term atheist too. I love the gospel records.

22. downer

downer Senior Member

Bonddm and Sean Murdock like this.
  23. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

What a bargain! Way better than that ridiculous $320 JB Hifi pricetag.

24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

The price has just increased to $314.95!