Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

To quote our AWOL compatriot, sounds like gossipolation to me. :)

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Great word, that.

RayS likes this.
  3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

99.9% sure these don't exist, unless Dylan recorded some bits and pieces literally at home into a tape recorder. Bear in mind that such a private recording that may/may not be in his own home collection has never, ever seen the light of day thus far, with the possible exception of the demos of 'Dignity' and 'Most Of The Time' although these were from a cassette given to Lanois so they were effectively 'worked out' to be included on the album at that point. I'm not sure if anyone really knows what Dylan's home recordings, if there are any, consist of, though it is known that he's worked on songs at various points that have never made it into a formal recording situation. Whether such things were committed to tape is speculation.
    There are early takes of the entire "Blood On The Tracks" album and plenty of alternates that have never been heard though.

Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

"Gospel Years" compilation, including 1981 live stuff would make me very happy.

5. DeeThomaz

Me too. And I pretty much think it's inevitable, based on the Rolling Stone interview quotes. But it'll probably wait until a Blood on the Tracks set has been released.

6. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I just assumed they included the Basement Minstrel Boy as context for the live version on IOW.

crispi, Jason Tenney and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. DeeThomaz

I agree completely. And it was a good decision.

Jason Tenney and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  8. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Yes, and I have no knowledge if it actually exists- just picked up the info from another poster here. I was probably being too hypothetical in an already hypothetical thread. Main point is that there is enough material to make a 6cd or more release just on BOTT. Not sure of its appeal to most people, but it could satisfy the Copyright issue.

I'm actually pretty cynical about most things that are rumored to exist. I'd love to be proven wrong very soon, but I highly doubt there is a nice recording of 1965 Carnegie Hall just sitting in the vaults. Considering the setlist (which I even tend to doubt Crawl Out Your Window was actually played as reported), time period, and the backing band this should have seen the light of day way before multiple 1963 or 1964 official releases. At least a track or two should have ended up on Biograph or BS 1-3.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. matt79rome89

I don't think most people here think they will stop. There's been quite a few topics on what will be released on CE sets, not if.

10. matt79rome89

I have to disagree. I always thought it stuck out like a sore thumb, and even more so now with the BS 11 release. My literal mind also had a hard time that it was included in a set titled "1969-1971". The live IOW version stands on its own fine enough I think.

Carserguev and HominyRhodes like this.
  11. Re - alternate takes of the BOTT songs. On the deluxe version of The Cutting Edge I've found that the closer Dylan gets to the 'final' official take of a song, the less interesting it is. Take 'Visions of Johanna' - the initial, searing, garage-band rehearsal is great, the slower version towards the end of the session can't match its intensity. 'Just Like A Woman' - the uptempo poppy version is lots of fun, like an entirely new song, the other version on the deluxe set sounds almost identical to the original we all know and love and hence doesn't reward many playbacks for me. A whole set of alternate takes of BOTT material might not be all we are hoping for, but I suspect it's what we'll be getting. We may have to start facing an uncomfortable truth folks, after twelve volumes, the well could be starting to run dry.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. Though I haven't delved very deeply into the Blonde On Blonde sessions yet, I tend to agree very much with the general premise. In just about every case on the alt takes for the BIABH and H61R sessions, it's the early takes that grab my attention and seem to have that flash of inspiration. I think this also jives somewhat with Dylan's artistic temperament in that he values spontaneity and tends to lose patience when he's unable to adequately capture his vision of what a particular track should sound like pretty quickly. In fact, I'd have to say that probably the biggest surprise to come out of all this for me is just how much work he did put in to arrive at the final versions of many of the tracks on this set.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I think the thing to remember is that really extensive archiving hadn't really been done at the point of the release of Vol.1-3 - it was mainly the stuff that Rosen had on hand or was familiar with from copyrights etc...the digital transfer of all the tapes only really started in the last 10 years and now they can quite easily pull material from their computer archiving system without having to dig out the actual masters from Iron Mountain.
    That would've greatly reduced the cost and time taken in the case of the 18 disc set & copyright sets for example.

Sean Murdock and Lars1966 like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Have you heard the Tell Old Bill session? I believe there are likely many sessions through the last 50 years, but especially since Dylan became his own producer, where he works on various interpretations and arrangements during a recording session. The well running dry? No way. There are still many tour rehearsal sessions. And do you think Dylan uses his home recording studio to store junk?

Carserguev, Mbd77 and redsock like this.
  15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

No, that's his backyard:

[​IMG]

16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Now that would be an interesting release. Bootleg Series 13: No Direction Home. 1962-2015 home recordings and ramblings.
    Like the other poster, I don't think we are anywhere near that point. There are about 20 years of his career that haven't been touched on and who knows what awful album of his released in the 80s might actually have a beautiful and powerful acoustic version kicking around in the archives. This isn't even to mention probably a half dozen or so potential live releases.

notesfrom, DeeThomaz and Mbd77 like this.
  17. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Agreed. There's still loads of stuff. Wait & see.

:righton:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I love that photo of Dylan, apparently on his property. I would love some of that crap in my back yard. An old tub can be handy, and you might get a chance to sit with some frogs. And it is always fun to do stuff in the front seat of an old car. Dylan is also making a major statement. "The world is full of crap. Live with it."

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Everything is broken.

20. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I know I am probably way off on this, but I feel like next fall we will get a 6CD set from the Blood/Desire period, and then the following summer I think there will be a release of The Complete Album Collection 2: Bootleg series, which will contain every CD from the series, including the 16 CDs from the super deluxe Cutting Edge set.

This is just a wild guess but I could see this happening.

joeislive likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I doubt there will be such a budget edition of the collectors edition and other "bonus sets". It would kill future marketing options.

ccbarr likes this.
  22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

You make a good point, it would kill sales of the sets already released. The only way I could see it working is if the set was like the Dylan Complete Albums box. Just all the CDs in cardboard sleeves, and maybe a small book like the one inlcluded in the albums box. That way there would still be incentive to buy the individual sets, for the books and overall presentation. Plus this hypothetical box would probably sell for $250-$300, just like the studio albums box did at first.

But I agree, I think it is probably a longshot at best, but I thought I read that Vol 2 was planned to be focused on the Bootleg Series.

23. Moth

Moth fluttering by

If they were to release such a box set, I can't imagine they would do much more than include the 2 CD versions (other than BS 1-3, o'course).

ccbarr likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Most of the existing bonus sets are out of print, or will soon be, so it won't hurt sales of them. But it would kill the sale of future "deluxe/collectors" editions if many customers expect a budget package down the calendar every time.

ccbarr likes this.
  25. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

They have established a precedent with The Cutting Edge.

A best of the unreleased Blood On The Tracks sessions simply won't do, even if they give us 4 CDs worth. We need the Whole. Damn. Thing.

DeeThomaz and Lars1966 like this.