Bob Dylan US Tour 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lamus, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Been to 11 Dylan concerts and never saw him interact much at all. Its fine with me because that is just how he is.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I saw him at The Majestic Theater in San Antonio in the 90s.

At the end of the show during the standing ovation he went from one corner of the stage to the other kind of bowing and doing this little hip shot gunslinger point with both hands. My gf at the time thought it was the cutest thing. I wanted to tell her "You dont call Bob Dylan cute" It was pretty cool looking though. He was just getting into the mexican penstriped black pants look. He also wore a pink bloomed sleeved shirt. Hes a very small fellow when you really look at him. But total coolness.

Saw him in Dallas also. A totally different but just as fantastic a vibe. I can still recall the feeling of laying my head back and closing my eyes as Bobs timbre and tone rang the rafters while he sang "Sugar Baby".

I dont think folks realize how strong Bobs voice can sound. No he is no Pavarotti as far as technical beauty. But he surprised me with how much timber and boom he has to his voice.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I also saw him in Houston. My favorite story and I dont mean to be a tease but its late and Ill havs to share it later. A doosie of an experience.

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive only seen bob once in 86-87? RFK Stadium in DC with the dead, the sound was a debacle for bob, not for the dead, could decipher a song, I guess different sound systems (we were in the rafters) it was still a blast, I might go again if he comes round these parts

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  5. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Seen Bob three times, once at the Houston Astrodome for the Rubin Hurricane Carter show. And then later in Austin that same year for the Rolling Thunder Review. Also in Austin that year, Bob came out and played some songs for the 3rd encore of the Joni Mitchell concert.

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Any opening act for this tour?

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

86. I was there too. Can’t remember the Dylan/Petty sets much, but a bad 2 days for the GD. Last shows before Jerry Garcia’s coma.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

my main memory is halfway thru like a rolling stone I realize....its like a rolling stone. not bobs fault, the sound was that bad, it just seemed to get lost on its way to the upper upper decks, that and it was hot as hell

9. h.egbert

h.egbert Forum Resident

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've seen Bob twice - in Newcastle 1998 & 2000. He was fantastic both times. I would like to see him again. It's very special seeing Bob Dylan live.

primoridal_ooze and fenderesq like this.
  11. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

But who knows what tomorrow; literally tomorrow, will bring < to barrow and augment a Traffic title... it is of course Bob.

A round of Heaven's Door for my friends if you will.

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I would love to see Dylan performing some of his Sinatra covers. I hope that either, it is not over, or that something else new appears.

His last album of originals was 2012.

However I will not feel short-changed if he never writes another song or releases another album.

Tim

13. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I agree; seeing Bob Dylan live is indeed a very special experience.

Seeing Bob is a singular experience; there is nothing to compare it to. You never know what you're going to get decade to decade, year to year, show to show, moment to moment: Revolution, Revelation, Revulsion; depending upon your personal point of view. Jive, Song and Dance Man or sometimes... "Holy Hell did you hear that!"

I can't help it; and I'm sure it has a lot to do with my own situation; but whenever I've see Bob in recent history; given that he's on his way to 78 and his penchant for random out of left field choices and decisions there's always the distinct possibility I may never get the opportunity to see him again. I've been seeing Bob for many decades and the idea that at best the Never Ending Tour might indeed come to an end in only a number of years; a very short time relatively; absolutely colors the present day shows for me; until the show starts... and then it's just about the music... Bob and the music that night.

I wonder; is this a unique, too dark attitude to bring into the conversation? I never hear any discussions in any regard about this.

The take away... see Bob whenever you have the opportunity. And take a snort of Heaven's Door whenever you're parched.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't seen Bob enough to say that seeing him has been a big part of my life and both the shows I saw were similar, but excellent. I admit I had the 'I'm in the same room as Bob Dylan!' thoughts. I remember Standing In The Doorway being stunning. I loved Time Out of Mind.

I also admit to thinking 'how much longer is Bob Dylan going to be touring?'. So many of my favourite musicians have passed away in the last few years and Bob had a serious health scare just before I saw him in 1998. It's great that he's still with us and playing live 20 years later.

fenderesq, notesfrom and dylankicks like this.
  15. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

"Delia" at Newcastle in 2000 is one of my favorite memories from about 35 shows.

16. JManPro

JManPro Well-Known Member

I can relate to this. I've spend over 100 evenings at Dylan concerts since my first show in 87. It has always felt special, and as we all age it seems a bit sweeter, bitter sweet..

primoridal_ooze and Man at C&A like this.
  17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.
    One or two per show would have been fine, but he did five of 'em (out of 21) when I saw him last November.

IIRC, he did as many as 7 Sinatras at some shows last year. Waaay too much.

primoridal_ooze and mrjinks like this.
  18. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

I assume it was Weir asking "everyone to take 1 step back" -JFK Stadium Dylan + Dead in 1987?

notesfrom likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I only saw this and the rest of the Newcastle 1998 & 2000 stuff on YouTube a couple of days ago. It confirmed what I already thought, I caught two great Dylan shows from a good era, the best I could have seen. I was 24 in 1998.

I'm pleased Delia was a highlight, especially if you travelled from NYC to see him!

luckycountry likes this.
  20. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

We saw the show in Dallas last night. Of the 20 plus shows we have seen since 2001 this one was very average. Bob is in good voice and there were highlights but I think the venue took a lot away from the concert. Ushers keeping people from standing up, 17 dollar beers, extremely quiet and laid back crowd, and for the first half of the show the sound seemed to be much lower than usual. A lot of empty seats too though I don’t know the capacity for the Toyota Music Factory. Maybe it’s just been awhile since I have been to this type of venue? But in the end it was Bob and it was special. He moved out from behind his piano several times, got cheers for his harmonica playing, and was animated. There were slowed down versions of It Ain’t Me, Highway 61 and even the three Sinatra tunes were good. Thought about going to the show in Oklahoma Saturday but one is enough for this tour.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  21. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I don't think we can assume he left, bob could have fired him...though he was with the band a long time. That there is no replacement could mean he left suddenly though....or that bob wanted to keep some extra money!

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

No.....it was an every night thing. The Grateful Dead always played 2 sets, and at the end of the 1st set, Weir would always say along the lines of "We'll be back in just a little bit".......and that was usually the only talking to the crowd the entire night.

"Take a step back" happed a lot at the general admission outdoor shows like JFK when it got too crowded up front. I was at that show too.

bonus likes this.
  23. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

I was at the 2000 Delia show and traveled from NYC for it too! Great show and great fun at the O'Neills across from the train station after the show.

Made Aberdeen (no Highlands), Glasgow (Highlands!) also.

primoridal_ooze and Man at C&A like this.
  24. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

According to the setlist posted at both bobdylan.com & Expecting Rain there were no "Sinatra tunes" which has been common on this tour. Are the posted setlists incorrect? Which ones did he play?

25. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

No Sinatra tunes in Irving last night.

I have to admit that I was just a bit disappointed in the show. It seemed like just about every song had been rearranged into some variation of a country shuffle. I’m glad that he’s still reinventing himself to a certain degree on stage but I personally don’t care too much for his current direction. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.