Bob Dylan Vinyl Box Set - the Original Mono Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member Thread Starter

Well Gents. Time to discuss the definative way to listen to Bob's first 8 albums.

MONO LP - just like it was in 1962.

Received the box set today.

The box is like a hard cardboard magazine holder, where the records slip in and out from the side. Its a tight fit.

the albums themselves are georgous. They are replica's of the originals- even down to the back covers being sheets of paper glued down. Times are a Changing has a really nice rough paper like texture.
    Every LP is with a nice poly inner sleeve, flat and the physical vinyl is pristine.
    It has a luvely 46 page book with it.

All I need now is a phono stage with Columbia equalisation to actually hear how they were equalised. That said, the first two LP's sound great as is.

BTW, It has a full digital download of the entire box set and a CD of live 1963 performance. CD's are dead man.

Kudos and congratulations must go to all at Columbia and Steve Berkowitz who produced the reissue to bring out such a wonderful box vinyl box set. Thank God for companies like this and Reprise with the Neil Young archives releases.

Makes me feel sorry for the Rolling Stones and the hatchet job done by Universal with the Rolling Stones vinyl box sets.

I believe all who have bought the Dylan Mono vinyl box set will be very happy.

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I am certain that your regular RIAA phono stage will do the trick!

3. Turntable

Oh it does, and it sounds great.

However I did use a phono stage two months ago with Columbia equalisation and the early Dylan albums took another nice step forward sonically.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

From where did you get your box? I'm still waiting for mine from SoundStageDirect.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

What's wrong with the Rolling Stones box sets? The 60's one sounds incredible with good quality vinyl. Please explain.........

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, I would like to hear your explanation as well. Do you actually own it?

7. Turntable

Got mine from Amazon - took a very short time to fly accross the Ocean - the best $140 I have spend for a while.

Nothing sound wise with the Decca years.
    Just read the stones box set thread about the guy that got the decca years and the Dylan box set. Very different with the love, care taken and quality of product between the two.
    the 71 - 95 is mastered from the CD - please
    As I said, the Stones deserve the same treatment that Dylan, Young and I am sure the upcoming Beatles will have.

cheers

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So you have based your entire judgement on one post someone has made, and you don't even have the item yourself. Don't you feel that is bonkers?

Perhaps all Australians are in a state on temporary madness induced by being slaughtered by England ;)

englishbob and bluemooze like this.
  9. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The 60's Stones box isn't as good packaging-wise as the Dylan, but it is very good. A couple of the front covers are grainy/muddy but other than that they look good and of course they sound amazing too. It's clear they put some effort into them and they are not just a re-package of the 2003 vinyl editions.

In any event, the Dylan box is a pretty high standard to hold anything too, and so most stuff looks worse in comparison. That said, the Dylan albums aren't 100% perfect either -- you can see a small amount of blurriness/dot-patterns on the text and logos in some places. The Sundazed LPs are actually better in this regard, probably because they just inserted all-new text with a typeface that matched the originals.

Well I'm done nit-picking, they are both amazing boxes.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Dylan box is much more expensive for 4 less pieces of vinyl as well. So you can't compare the two.

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have the Dylan box and the 60's Stones box. The vinyl and mastering for both are superb. Both have replicated (not perfect) original album jackets (some with gatefolds). The Dylan jackets and labels (on vinyl) are pretty top notch quality wise and a few notches down (quality wise) for the Stones. However, it's very nice that for both this amount of attention to detail has been used. Both boxes are nice. I think the Dylan box may be slightly more prone to wear/tear over the years. It's white (sigh) and seems like the material it's made of (with slicks pasted over) may crease slightly down the road (I've seen this happen with other similar made boxes). The Stones box I can imagine may become a pain down the road having to remove entire box from shelf (it's heavy) and remove lid to get an album. Despite the above attempt to compare some aspects of both sets I would say they are both winners (especially for the music, pressing quality, and mastering).

Kubricker likes this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Exactly.

I think the OP should retract his 'hatchet job' remark.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I refuse to buy any vinyl from Amazon because I have had bad luck in the past with their crappy packing. I bought mine from Elusive Disc for two hundred bucks. Cost more but at least I know it will arrive in perfect condition. Should arrive Friday and I'm really looking forward to hearing this set.

14. christocon

christocon Forum Resident

How does the Dylan set compare (in sound) to the Sundazed mono LP's?

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The new dylan box trumps the Sundazed IMO. There is a huge thread on this subject already.

ClassicRockTragic likes this.
  16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Not with direct comparisons to the original LP's and the Sundazed...that has only been scratched at and not as in depth...people are more interesting in the pictures inside Blonde on Blonde than reporting on actual sound quality at this moment!

CBackley likes this.
  17. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the new Dylan set to the original mono pressings?

18. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I plan to do some comparisons for Myvinylreview, once I have received the box. Hopefully, I'll have the review up next week.

19. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Thanks. Looking forward to your review.

20. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

The back cover of my copy of John Wesley Harding came with some weird sort of wear or water damage all over where the slick has been glued down.

The problem is that I bought the set from a local store, so I can't really return it. Who should I contact to get a replacement?

21. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

If anyone knows, is the full digital download mp3 or .wav format (or other)?

22. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Why can't you return it to the local store? I would think that is one of the reasons to buy from a local store: customer service.

I really try to buy almost all my vinyl from the local store, but on a box like this they just can't compete with the price online, I mean I got it for half the price the local store sells it for $125 cheeper! I figure the $125 I saved will end up back at the local store anyway.

23. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

MP3 at 320 kbps.

24. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Columbia equalization? Every record company that ever produced Lp's used RIAA standardized equalization. That "Columbia" equalization curve was probably the one for 78's. :sigh:

25. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I've heard from multiple people that stores can't return vinyl to the record labels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.