Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're at currently (Part 2)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Wow, I don't know about you guys, but I'm really excited about this whole "Basement Tapes Complete" release that's coming out! I wonder if the box will include lyrics. Does anyone know?

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Not sure if anyone but our very own HominyRhodes could credibly transcribe them.

Koabac likes this.
  3. Wish anyone who tries a lot of luck with something like "I'm Not There"...lol

Actually, it's interesting how it seems Dylan has perhaps intentionally obfuscated a number of the song lyrics from this period in his published works. Heylin goes into it in a lot of detail in his last book, and unfortunately, none of the published changes seem to be for the better.

I'll tell you - this Dylan cat can be a tough dude to figure out sometimes... :)

HominyRhodes, DeeThomaz and Koabac like this.
  4. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I've always found it interesting that Bob, a guy almost entirely known for his lyrics, never actually includes them with his albums like other people do. Back in the day, he would instead give you confusing, long-form poetry that covered the back of your vinyl record.

IronWaffle, Jerryb and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Sometimes there's just not much there to transcribe.

6. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I refuse to believe the last several months I've spent trying to transcribe "Wigwam" will be all in vain!

HominyRhodes and fallbreaks like this.
  7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Even some ah "estimated" lyrics for Santa Fe would be welcome!

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

The lyrics exist in synthesis with the voice. Sometimes the lyrics stand on their own as traditional poetry, sometimes not. But they exist to be sung. One reason why Bob will probably never get the Nobel.

IronWaffle and bonus like this.
  9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.