Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're at currently (Part 2)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Exactly what I came to post ! $150 ? Really ?

2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

It'll come down (I hope.) At least it comes with a "Deluxe bound book" and "extensive liner notes." How 'bout that?

3. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Right, you're not just buying the six CDs.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'll just wait, got waaaay too many other pre orders from now through the end of the year. Thanks guys.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. HominyRhodes

They could have at least thrown in a replica mono vinyl version of the 14-song acetate from 1968, like we've been recommending here.

JoeRockhead, ronbow and Moth like this.
  6. Catbirdman and IronWaffle like this.
  7. HominyRhodes

The music. Absolutely.

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Anyone else cool enough to have Dylan say your birthday in a song?
    January 30th right here, man!

And when he talks about the "old wild shirts and a couple pairs of pants"
    I always picture the hip 1966 clothes blowing in the summer wind in Saugerties

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Man, following this for the last few days, as a Dylan fan I love how half the replies are just like 'HELL TO THE YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. And the other half are in-depth analyses of what may or may not be on thest things. It's a pretty great combo.

revolution_vanderbilt and Koabac like this.
  10. HominyRhodes

You're right -- don't touch that dial! Ya get it all here. (For at least two months more.)

11. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Slightly OT, but considering "Lost on The River," kinda on topic, in general, but does anyone know of other Dylan lyrics (perhaps even a list?) that are still unrecorded or never set to music from ANY era? I'm talking about one's where we know or can read the lyric (not just a title) that he never (as far was we know) did anything with apart from the LOTR songs?

12. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I don't know if this has mentioned before, but I'm just noticing how closely the chorus of "Don't Ya Tell Henry" mirrors the chorus to "Move It on Over"/"Mind Your Own Business". Given Dylan's affinity for Hank Williams, I'd bet this wasn't just a coincidence. Anyone else notice the similarities between these two (three)?

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There is "the notebook" from the "Blood on the Tracks" era. A number of never-recorded songs and song fragments. Heylin discusses them in depth in his second song-by-song book.

14. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

How about Halloween? Mentioned in a song (She Belongs To Me) and in concert (Halloween concert '64 I think). I was born in 67 though (probably while Dylan were in the basement!)

asdf35 and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. HominyRhodes

That's a good comparison, absolutely. The refrain of Don't Ya Tell Henry reminds me just a little bit of the refrain in Please Mrs. Henry, too...I wonder if they were related somehow? (Mr. and Mrs.?)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Thanks, Ray. I was actually curious is there was perhaps somewhere to read these unreleased lyrics that he never put to music. I know there are some lyrics to unreleased songs on his website, but I believe he'd put those to music already - but no one's heard them.

17. HominyRhodes

And don't forget the classic Bowling Alley Blues, and other typewritten works included with some of Dylan's lyric books.

EDIT: Plus this oldie:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-lyrics-to-be-auctioned-by-christies-20130502

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Henry is also in 'Dress It Up, Make It Better' (plus a similar 'down by the river yelling please please please' line).

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. HominyRhodes

Could you clarify what is, and what is not, up on iTunes now? (I am a non-iTunes user). Some people said that a few of the songs were "grayed out," and not yet available for purchase...

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

A reproduction of that notebook (which can currently only be seen by special arrangement with the Morgan Library, as I understand) would make a Blood on the Tracks Super Deluxe Edition an instant must-buy.

Oh, and the music.

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

The three available to buy so far are Odds And Ends (Take 1), Ain't No More Cane and Dress It Up, Make It Better.

Two others, One Too Many Mornings and You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Take 1), show their timings (like the other three) but are not available to buy yet. All other songs are listed, but show no timings or availability.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think it was an unusual working method for Dylan, though. It was certainly his approach to the BT songs, along with John Wesley Harding. I believe the Street Legal and Blood On The Tracks songs also followed this model. But my understanding it was far more common for the words & music to be developed alongside each other.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  23. HominyRhodes

Thanks a lot for the info. As I recall, the track times for Another Self Portrait weren't available until shortly before that box was released. Can't wait to see those timings...

slane likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There is a theory out there (encouraged by the Marcus book, and the '75 LP cover) that all the characters Dylan introduces in these songs occupy a bizarre shared universe. I don't think that was ever Bob's intention, but it really does seem to "feel right."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    slane likes this.
  25. HominyRhodes

IIRC, Dylan wrote some of the songs for JWH on the train to Nashville.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.