Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

As a huge Dylan fan, but never been able to acquire particular fondness for the Band, nor particularly The Basement Tapes, my initial reaction to this release was more muted than many on this forum (I was actually looking forward to Shadows in the Night); however, having, over the last week or so, taken in some of the pre-release songs, full and snippets, and I getting really psyched for this release. I've just listened to the snippets of the first disk--which one might expect to be among the least favorable--and I am really excited; I love the more acoustic sound to some of this stuff than on the 1975 official release (also on songs such as Yea Heavy and a Bottle of Bread). Yeah, now I am getting pretty psyched about this . . . good time to be a Bob fan.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I know-opinions might differ- but anyone with some musical ear have to admit that the Band were great musicians and a great musikal unit. Whether one likes their music or not is another thing.

3. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Big fan of Dylan and The Band here.
    I have never been a big fan of BT (the '75 record) and never listened to any BT-bootlegs. I also don't want to listen to any snippets or pre-release songs.
    I want to take it in all at once when I have the big box in my hand. I hope to finally GET IT and to be blown away!
    I read this thread and I am too getting pretty psyched about this. But up until now this is the only part of Dylan's career were I have never quiet understood what other fans were raving about.
    Yeah, it really is a good time to be a Dylan fan. 138 songs man, most of them new to me, how lucky can an old Dylan fan be?

Jack, HominyRhodes and Heart of Gold like this.
  4. amonmarktalk

amonmarktalk Well-Known Member

Listening again to the Samples on Pono I really think, despite the bad sound, Disc 6 will be the most archievement in this set. The performances and the artistic quality of these lost Dylan songs and traditionals are so unique and brilliant in their own way.

DeeThomaz and Heart of Gold like this.
  5. Goombay is stirring up a debate. Nowt wrong with that.
    I think it's fair to say that Dylan did not pursue them as recording artists. 'Blonde On Blonde', some of which I listened to last night, is not the sound of The Band regardless of Robbie Robertson's contributions.
    None of this is putting me off 'The Basement Tapes' though. Which might be considered an entity in themselves.

Thelonious_Cube and goombay like this.
  6. Yes, I'm quite looking forward to some nit-picking. I've already snorted a few times over various journalist's descriptions of these recordings.

According to one article I read just the other day (very badly researched and based on a previously lost interview with longtime Dylan roadie Patrick 'hedge trimmer' Chong) Dylan was shooting up heroin during the entire recording process, Robbertson had no interest in any of it and tried several times to burn the tapes in a Native American ritual but was prevented from doing so by Albert Grossman at gunpoint, Garth Hudson wore a velvet mask and played his organ solo blind on 'Apple Sucklin' Tree' and Sony are sitting on a further 183 reels.

Thelonious_Cube and notesfrom like this.
  7. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

the only good thing about the nitpicking is that most of it is incomprehensible.
    the late great Joe South is on Blonde.
    BT snippets dont do much for me but ive heard some snippets from the upcoming so called Shadows album and those stir me up, but when it comes out i betya theres going to a lotta folks coming to the wrong conclusion on them here.
    and, the Band, ie Robbie, moved to Malibu so as to sell Dylan on the whole 74 tour-album extravaganza.

8. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I know what you mean when you say you want to experience the full Basement Tapes, all at once, for the first time. That's how I felt when I finally got to hear the entire Isle of Wight concert in all its glory on Another Self Portrait. I previously had a horrific sounding tape of the show, which I listened to only once and then filed away. When I got the remastered IOW CD, and played it at full volume, in perfect sound quality, it was a complete revelation, along with all of the other unreleased outtakes in the set. I'm hoping the BT box will have that same effect.

9. HominyRhodes

"...a Native American ritual ...Albert Grossman [holding Robbie] at gunpoint, Garth Hudson wore a velvet mask and played his organ solo blind on 'Apple Sucklin' Tree'...":wtf:

Weren't those some of the scenes in the Haynes film, I'm Not There, when Richard Gere was riding through the Town of Riddle?:D

10. Hominy, I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out for this. How long left? 9 days? Cabin fever clearly setting in.....

DmitriKaramazov and HominyRhodes like this.
  11. HominyRhodes

Nine days, OK, here's how you cope, and what you listen to:

Day 1. Bob Dylan (1962)
    Day 2. Freewheelin' (1963)
    Day 3. Times They Are A-Changin' (1964)
    Day 4. Another Side (1964)
    Day 5. Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
    Day 6. Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
    Day 7. Blonde on Blonde (1966)
    Day 8. Live 1966 (Bootleg Series Vol. 4) or John Wesley Harding (1967), your choice
    Day 9. Johnny Cash, Clancy Brothers, Ian and Sylvia, Hank Williams, Carter Family, Bobbie Gentry, until the postman comes with your package.

cublowell, AGimS, NapalmBrain and 3 others like this.
  12. HominyRhodes

13. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

You may get your wish, Sony do have history on this, take the BS release of the 'Philharmonic Hall 1964' the intro's on the 15 songs that had them, how many do you think they cut? Yep, 15 is the correct answer, 19 songs released & 15 of them were vandalized. Bad enough with a general release but the Bootleg Series is supposed to be an archival release, a historical document, warts and all, it's an absolute disgrace.
    What if they reissued Nashville Skyline & cut out "Is it Rolling, Bob?"

14. Unthinkable! "Is it rolling, Bob?' is probably the best bit on Nashville Skyline!

hollowhorn likes this.
  15. These are fine words of advice. One thing, I'm taking no risks with postmen. I'm in the record shop in 9 days time. Agitatedly flashing my debit card around. Possibly foaming at the mouth.

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

I plan to be in a record shop. Do you know who will have the big set for the best price?

17. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Good advice. But I have hopes to wait only 7 days. My preorder from my local dealer usually land two days earlier than release day,- on saturday. Happend to ASP and Beatles Mono Box, so I hope it will happen this time too. Nov.1st is also the day after my birthday so it will make a nice gift to myself.:D

HominyRhodes likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

How many of us still have record stores in town that are basically guaranteed to stock the deluxe box? In the Twin Cities, I can only think of three that I'm highly confident will (plus MAYBE some of the larger Barnes &Nobles) , though the highly coveted nature of this material MIGHT make some other shops willing to take a chance with a high dollar item. Sign of the times.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. hollowhorn

That's a tad unfair, is it not the case that Robbie refused because he thought that the album was perfect as was? Here are some quotes from Behind the Shades:

Dylan-"I didn't intentionally come out with some kind of mellow sound. I would have liked....more steel guitar, more piano. More music.....I didn't sit down and plan that sound"

Heylin-"Robertson, though, felt that the album worked as it was, and pushed Dylan to release it as is"

Robertson-"We did talk about doing some overdubbing on it, but I really liked it when I heard it and I couldn't really think about overdubbing it. So it ended coming out the way he brought it back. (from Nashville)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Well, I'm in England. Two record shops close by to me will have it, HMV and the local independent shop. Whoever's the cheapest gets my hard earned cash on the day. That's as far as my strategy goes on this one. I'm keeping it simple :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  21. hollowhorn

Just as well as I hear that the post office in Juarez will be on strike that week, goodness, I do hope the strike does not affect the stores getting their deliveries. :eek:

Edit:
    Hawd the boat, hawd the boat, I see you are from Juarez in England, phew, that was close, you should be ok.

22. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

you mean from interviews included in behind the shades. at the time robbie robertson was an unknown musician who was under contract to bob,while bob was a legend a couple of times over.
    many years later hes got all these grandiose opinions.
    interesting that bob wanted all this music on it, and didnt think of recording with the hawks who were sitting there in big pink, and who saw him on a daily basis.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I bought my Beatles in Mono box on release day at Best Buy. They only had 4 copies. I am hoping they carry the DE of BS 11.

Coincidentally, I am on vacation the entire week that the new set comes out! :goodie: And I am not going away....

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

A vacation well spent!

George P likes this.
  25. Hopefully. Juarez yes, a suburb in Liverpool believe it or not. I see you reside in Asda. Lovely there.... :)

hollowhorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.