Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Okay, now listen. In Chinatown in NYC, near the corner of Mulberry and Bayard Streets, there is a small basement dumpling shop. Go down the steps, and knock on the door. When they ask who it is, say "Open The Door Homer". They'll open the door and then you should ask for an order of "Apple Suckling Tree Dumplings". They will ask if you want anything else. Tell them you'll take a "Bottle Of Bread" too. They then will ask why you want them. You must tell them that "Nothing Was Delivered". Only then will they bring you into the inner sanctum of the store, where they will have the 6-CD Complete set at HALF-PRICE!!!

I guarantee that if you follow the above steps properly, you'll be rewarded for your efforts....

;) Arnie

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Dude, please try to stop pushing your crazy theory. You're convincing no one.

3. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

dude, who the f is talking to you, you condescending busybody?

4. A disgrace not only in the manner described, but also in what they did to the sound. And you wonder why some of us out there still appreciate bootlegs...

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  5. Yeah, I've heard that the Halloween concert sounds better elsewhere. I don't care much for it to be honest. I wouldn't complain too much about The Bootleg Series though.....

6. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I've got an optimistic feeling they're gonna do right with the basements.
    All signs point toward full disclosure.

At the very least, I'll be concentrating on the "new" stuff so much that the rest is just gravy.
    ...and if intros/outros are clipped on the "new" tracks I will never know any different!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  7. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

that set is kind of the black sheep of the Bootleg Series, isn't it?

8. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

no the 75 one is, with witmark close behind.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I have a weird feeling I'm going to enjoy disc 6 most of all.

10. Yeah, hmmm, Bob only partially achieves transcendental lift-off on the Halloween and the 75 sets in my book. I've not got The Witmark Demos. I'm not complaining too much though. Volumes 1 to 4 are essential and much of 'Another Self Portrait' is too. All a matter of opinion.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Getting close now. Can we come up with a mutual pact not to turn this into a shipping notice announcement thread?

12. Here, here!

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  13. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

the ones with studio stuff are ex, i thought asp was going to be a bummer, but the nm stuff lifted that sucker to greatness. witmark would have been good if it was not already going around for years in pristine sound.

14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well, we do need to fill up some pages to close Part 4.
    Part 5 will be GetRhythm's analysis and comparisons to TWR and GBT, etc.

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's a really good point. Anyone who divests themselves of GBT/TWR or any of the other variations might be sorry someday, if they want to hear some of the unedited tracks, or the many alternate mixes. Better keep it all.

16. HominyRhodes

I can't make it to NYC, Arnie, so I was just gonna go see a certain guy on a certain loading dock out by O'Hare Airport, hand him an envelope, and tell him Tiny Montgomery says hello. :cool:

17. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

75 bootleg series is a great collection and I play it regularly... witmark and Halloween sets don't get regular play. The no direction soundtrack get more play than those two.

TeddyB and Carserguev like this.
  18. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

I never knew that intros were cut from the 1964 show's official release. Now I need to find a bootleg, so I can hear the COMPLETE show for the first time.

I think I'll give it a listen on Halloween, in 6 days. Its the 50th anniversary of that excellent show.

Thelonious_Cube and HominyRhodes like this.
  19. HominyRhodes

Halloween '64 is the one Bootleg Series edition that I didn't buy new on CD, although I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually. It's been in circulation for a long, long time.

20. Tom Schreck

Are the spoken intros really MISSING? I thought they were either tacked on to the previous track or in "negative time" pre-track space. 'Cause there's quite a bit of spoken stuff on there. I've never compared it to a bootleg though, so I wouldn't know.

21. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't recall his talking/intros being cut, but I haven't listened to it in years!
    The pre-show announcement WAS cut, I remember being bummed about that.

22. HominyRhodes

I haven't heard the BS version, so I'm not sure what was cut from the full-length recording or what was included.

23. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

Yes, what is all this talk about missing intros on the LIVE 1964 set. There is a LOT of (at times funny) talk between songs on this release.
    And to me it sounds much better than the bootleg, and it's the complete show with a great setlist. The one negative thing about it to me is that Dylan is having trouble keeping his guitar in tune, something I find distracting at times.

24. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

I went back & checked, you are correct, the song intros have been released as outros on the preceding songs, at least they are there but is that the correct way to do these things? I know bootlegs do it all the time, Rolling Thunder is a classic example. I know little about producing albums but is there a genuine reason for cutting it in this way, the mind boggles.

25. Tom Schreck

I guess it's so that the song starts immediately when prompted. On Bootleg 7 (NDH sdtk) the intros for Maggie's Farm at Newport and Rolling Stone at Manchester Free Trade are "negative" space before the track, but when you rip to WAV or MP3, depending on what ripping software you use, they get put with the previous track. I imagine that Bootleg 6 did the same thing, but I'd have to dig out my CD's to check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.