Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Not to nitpick (now, who'd do that on this forum?), but the Sid Griffin book is called Million Dollar Bash.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Gah!

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Wasn't 'Wild Wolf' originally planned to be on the first 1991 Bootleg Series set, before it got reduced from 4CDs to 3?

4. Don't have Griffin's book handy at the moment, but I'm pretty sure "Big Dog" and "Won't You Please Come Home" are one and the same - and are on the existing boots; a fragmentary recording that leads directly into Take 1 of the mariachi band send-up known as "The Spanish Song".

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

My memory is that "Silent Weekend" was the only Basement Tape track cut from the original BS listing. I used to have the full track listing of the 4CD version handy, but I can't seem to find it anywhere just now. Anyone have a link?

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I just listened to "Spanish Song" and I have to conclude you're right.

7. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

I've never seen such list, but Bjorner says the following songs were considered. I also have a list (though can't for the life of me recall where I got it from!) that mentions John Brown (Witmark demo), Fur Slippers (Shot Of Love outtake) and Shot Of Love (live from Avignon 1981).

http://www.bjorner.com/91 1-6.htm#Bootleg

Dink's Song
    Minnesota Hotel tape
    Poor Lazarus
    Minnesota Hotel tape
    Handsome Molly
    First Gaslight Cafe
    Rocks And Gravel
    Freewheelin' outtake
    Sally Gal
    Freewheelin' outtake
    Bob Dylan's New Orleans Rag
    Freewheelin' outtake
    I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow
    outtake w/ bass
    Hero Blues
    The Times outtake
    Long Ago, Far Away
    Witmark demo
    Long Time Gone
    Witmark demo
    All Over You
    Banjo Tape
    Guess I'm Doin' Fine
    Witmark demo
    Farewell
    Witmark demo
    Dusty Old Fairgrounds
    New York Town Hall
    It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    outtake
    Positively 4th Street
    Highway 61 Revisited outtake
    She's Your Lover Now
    solo version
    Midnight Train
    Blonde On Blonde outtake
    Get Your Rocks Off
    Basement Tapes outtake
    Silent Weekend
    Basement Tapes outtake
    Sign On The Cross
    Basement Tapes outtake
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome...
    Blood On The Tracks outtake
    It Ain't Me, Babe
    live - Renaldo & Clara
    Yonder Comes Sin
    Shot Of love outtake
    No Man Righteous, No Not One
    Slow Train Coming outtake
    Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody
    live - early 80
    John Brown
    live 1988
    Don't Ever Take Yourself Away
    1982 outtake

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

"Sign on the Cross" was a huge loss!

9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I watched the promo video again, and the stripped-down version of "If Not For You" is really gorgeous.

jsb! likes this.
  11. Absolutely bizarre that it's never come out officially - for me, up there in Dylan's all-time top ten compositions and performances.

12. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

That blew my mind when I heard it on a bootleg way back when. Much better than the take he chose to release! I'm glad it's seeing an official release.

13. PaulFJ

PaulFJ Forum Resident

Me too - Before the show started, I offered my wife £1 for every song she recognised and I think that it only cost me £3!!!

14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Bryce likes this.
  15. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So I guess the blowitoutahere price for the 4-disc box set is currently the best one at around ninety bucks. I'm wondering if I should preorder now or do they make it difficult to cancel should I find a cheaper price elsewhere in the coming weeks?

16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I cannot imagine the Big A price not coming down dramatically. It is already "down" to $106, and this is still out of line(IMO).

17. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

'Tree With Roots'? That's nothing, the 'Complete Basement Reels' is 10 CD's and I thought THAT was comprehensive... and yet, no "Minstrel Boy".

18. But is there any unique stuff with Dylan on the 10-cd set? Isn't it just a lot of duplicates and some The Band-only stuff that fill out the 6 cds of material not on "Tree with Roots"?

19. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

I just recently picked it up off eBay; I think there might be an extra version of 'Apple Suckling Tree' that wasn't booted before, but other than that, you've pretty much nailed it.

Still, I thought that was the absolute bottom of the barrel, so to know there'll be a release of 'Minstrel Boy' from those sessions has me curious as to how much more is out there.

20. No, you've described it pretty accurately. Chief points of interest on Basement Reels are The Band's Basement-era tracks (many of which are definitely worth hearing - including some different takes than those on the official LP), and the original mono mixes of the Dylan tracks that wound up on the publisher's demo and acetate. Most of the Dylan Basement stuff sounds better on other releases than here, though some of the very early Basement recordings (those supposedly done at Dylan's house before the proceedings moved to Big Pink) sound pretty good.

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I wonder what the odds are that the Isle of Wight will be released seperately? I hate to spend $100 on 4 cds. I want the vinyl but I want IOW too! I hate these decisions.

22. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

iTunes, if you're into that sort of thing, is selling the 35 unreleased tracks + the IOW show for 27.99.

23. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I look forward to the vinyl release which I've now pre ordered.
    I took the time to revisit Self Portrait today, and actually enjoyed the listen. I'd never put it in his top 10 to 15 releases, but it certainly has it's moments and I look forward to hearing it and the other outtakes from other sessions.

24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Was it ever. :sigh:

25. Wish they had the previews available already - damn!

Gotta say that cover art is weird. Almost looks like a drawing of the comedian David Brenner or something....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.