Bob Dylan's New Album - Shadows In The Night

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Critter, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This is true. SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY was released in early 1970.

2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

For the record, Bob Dylan's first studio version of a "pop standard" was Blue Moon, recorded in Nashville in May 1969. So he started "the trend" himself. :uhhuh:

rgutter likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Aw shucks, this is NICE!!!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The RUMOR (which I heard without any supporting evidence) is that this is due in February, but I am still passing it along because, hey, why not? If so, it may be ideal, as I don't think it would crowd out a potential 2015 Bootleg Series entry. Best of both worlds.

Carserguev likes this.
  5. HominyRhodes

I'm not sure about having the valet parking lot attendants standing with him onstage at the end, but it's a beautiful performance.

6. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Best. Downfall. EVER.

Jesus I think I just permanently damaged several internal organs. Laugh? I howled. I wept. I snorted. Several dogs left the room in concern.

Meanwhile, "Stay with Me" is delightful. You go, Bob.

7. HominyRhodes

February would be perfect.

8. Critter

Critter Hyperactive! Thread Starter

9. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

ive heard a bit of it. lets just say some will like it and some wont.
    with most VIP highly respected dylanologists falling in the latter category. there will be some spirited threads here come release time lol

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  10. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

For all we know, Bob probably believes that Shadows in the Night was released last August and was his biggest hit since Time Out Of Mind.

He probably figured that he was throwing us a bone by finally playing a song off of his new album.

Mr. H, Hep Alien, Stan and 3 others like this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Dylan doing standards with his current voice! This is going to be like that Xmas album. :(

12. Moth

Moth fluttering by

13. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Nothing official yet as far as I'm aware but apparently the -generally reliable-Isis magazine mentioned a February release date.
    I've also seen mention that there's an insert in the Basement Tapes bootleg series set confirming a new album Shadows In The Night will be released in 2015. Just have to wait until the bootleg series album starts shipping to see if that is true.

joeislive and Scope J like this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

February sounds right for this collection of old standards. You can cuddle with your Valentine in front of the fireplace and let those dulcet Dylan tones coo romantically on the hi-fi...

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't think there'd be much cuddling if I played Dylan, any Dylan, for my valentine. More likely, a LOT of complaining.

hodgo and majorlance like this.
  17. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

February also makes sense as it would leave plenty of time if Bob decides to release another album later in the year.

18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Well, maybe if the girl was Marlee Matlin...

Mark and mrjinks like this.
  19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Ouch, now why did you have to bring THAT album up again, as I finally just got the last of it's burning horridness out of my brain? Sometimes even a genius needs to know "when to say when", or at least he should have some quality people around to tell him when! Why do I picture famous producer/engineer Al Schmitt, cringing at every note of this new album, when he was recording at the Capitol tower?

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Christmas In The Heart is the greatest thing created by mankind since we first slithered out of the ocean all of those millenniums ago.

21. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Well that and Saran Wrap.

L.

majorlance likes this.
  22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Exactly. It's one thing for ol' Bob to grunt & grumble his way through the simple folk-country-blues tunes which provide the backbone of his repertoire, but quite another thing for that utterly ravaged instrument masquerading as a "voice" to try and navigate the finely crafted melodies of the Great American Songbook.

And I'm a fan.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    lobo likes this.
  23. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It is "quite another thing," but not necessarily a bad thing. But then, I think Saran Wrap is pretty amazing, and I really like Christmas in the Heart.

L.

Carserguev, DeeThomaz and mark ab like this.
  24. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

He even did House of the Rising Sun before it was a standard. That's how well he knows this game.

DmitriKaramazov and DeeThomaz like this.
  25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Why is everyone expecting disaster from this new album? All this talk about his "ravaged" voice -- which I don't deny exists -- but the track that they posted over the summer found Bob in his smoothest voice in YEARS, to me anyway. Have other tracks leaked that I missed?

Oh, and I really like the Christmas album -- some "ravaged" singing, but also some surprisingly spot-on singing, if you ask me. And the musicianship is perfectly suited to the project.

Saran Wrap is pretty amazing too.

Hep Alien, Carserguev, jsb! and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.