Bob James SACD v. Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxdave, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde" Thread Starter

If anybody else in here is running a Powerbook you might be able to help me. I picked up Steve's Bob James SACD today and I can't get my Mac (17" PB) to play the darn thing. It will spin it up but when it sees the disk, it thinks it is a blank DVD that needs to be formatted. It won't mount on the desktop and iTunes can't play it. My buddy has a 15" Powerbook (current Aluminum model) and it spins it up, mounts it and plays it in iTunes just fine. We compared Preference files to see if I had something set incorrectly, but we couldn't find anything that would prevent my Mac from seeing the disk. BTW, my Mac will play regular CD's just fine but this hybrid has it pretty confused.

TIA,
    Dave

2. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Maybe your friends powerbook has a CD drive. There are a lot of DVD players out there not capable of playing SACD hybrids. (both my burner and DVD-Rom can't)

3. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

My inexpensive DVD player in the bedroom won't recognize the new Dylan SACDs, but it can play the Stones SACDs (which I never play anyway. Doesn't it figure?).

4. thxdave

Nope, they are both Superdrives (DVD burner, etc.) and are both made by the same drive manufacturer. Anybody else have any ideas?

dave

5. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Try updating the firmware on the drive. The software code embeded in the chipsets on your DVD drive likely won't allow it to read the Red Book layer on the Hybrid SACD disk. My Samsung DVD player spits out all hybrid disks. Give a call to Apple support to see if they have a firmware solution.

Richard.

6. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Actually, Richard's probably right - there's an update available on the Apple website.

7. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

There is a first time for everything.

Richard.

8. Philip Begley

Philip Begley Forum Resident

Hi Guys,
    I checked the Apple site and 1ghz G4 Powerbooks don't seem to need the update!
    However my almost new 17" Titanium gets confused with hybrids or SACD's !
    Anyone any ideas??

Phil

9. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

If you download the update anyway, the program will check to see if you need it when you run it. Might as well try.

10. thxdave

Does anybody have a link to this file? I went to the tech support site but I couldn't find any type of updater. thanks
    dave

11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

You will find your updates in system preferences. Go up to apple and click on.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I just put Steve's Zombies SACD/CD into my 12" silver-gray Mac G4 Powerbook with Superdrive. It thinks it's a blank DVD.

Does anyone know how to import a file from a CD using iTunes on one of these with the equalizer that's built into iTunes ON so that the file itself is actually saved with the Eq I worked out?

13. Philip Begley

Hi Martin,
    You can't "pre eq" a file in the way you describe. In order to do that you would need to
    re-record the file with the eq turned on, ie digital-analog and then analog back to digital. However you can save the eq so that it's associated with that file as far as I know!
    Philip

14. Philip Begley

Thanks for that Tim.
    I thought I would update 10.2.6 to 10.2.8 to see if that helps the matter!!

Philip

15. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

The DVD player on my Dell will not play SACD hybrids. The separate CD burner plays them fine.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Philip. Oh well. I hope Apple can fix this in an update.

17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

My 933 G4 plays Norah Jones SACD/CD just fine. This is a older model with a Superdrive and it surprises me that a newer model, although a Powerbook, can not play a Hybrid disc. I would get on Apple's discussion boards and find out if other people are having this problem. Of course "Panther" might fix this problem if you decide to update the OS when is is released this month.

PAT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.