Bob Marley - Exodus 40th - Super Deluxe - 30 June 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnnybrum, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Who knew Ziggy was the real talent in the Marley family? :rolleyes:

2. dee

dee Senior Member

A comprehensive Bob Marley in Concert on CD and DVD could make for a good thread! I couldn't agree more re: the Easy Skanking '78 concert disc! I only first heard it this year and have beeen playing it a lot and imo it's a superb concert, etc!

Simeon likes this.
  3. Simeon

Simeon Well-Known Member

I hope you will enjoy the Exodus live disc. ;)

dee likes this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

Only a little more than 2 pages of posts here.

I bought Natural Mystic 40 and Turn Your Lights Down Low 40. That's about it so far. Have to hear the other 7 concert tracks yet, but revisited the previous Exodus deluxe and got Roots and Punky Reggae Party (Jamaican 12" version).:)

I like the performance flow, sequence, and the concert Exodus tracks on the live disc.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Simeon and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  5. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I'll probably buy the triple CD set.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Will have to spin Marley again. It's been a while! :edthumbs:

7. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

I liked this super deluxe version but not too much. It's good listen to new material but the production (sound quality wise and even selection of tracks), imho, is low quality. Listen to the first tracks of Rainbow concert was superb!! But...
    The live set has some sound flaws:
    - Badest bass mixing than early live songs from Rainbow. The songs on the 2001 Deluxe Edition are sooo far better sound quality and mixing! Check The Heathen!
    - Bad equalization (Bob's voice metalization) job and/or noise reduction (most probabilly!). This did yield lossy tracks!! Chek it out with Trader Little Helper, to check for CDDA (option Test Decoded Files For MPEG)
    - Start of Natural Mystic has sound in the mixing (I don't mind about this)
    - Sounds quality change between the songs

Below the log of checking of CD (uncompressed .wav):

1 -=- 01 - Natural Mystic (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (42%)
    2 -=- 02 - So Much Things to Say (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- ERROR
    3 -=- 03 - Guiltiness (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (86%)
    4 -=- 04 - The Heathen (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (100%)
    5 -=- 05 - Burnin' and Lootin' (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (100%)
    6 -=- 06 - Positive Vibration (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (43%)
    7 -=- 07 - Jamming (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (100%)
    8 -=- 08 - Exodus (Live at Rainbow Theatre, London ; 1977).flac -=- CDDA (100%)

I could clearly note the lossy sound and bad equalization (in the Bob's voice and cymbals, a clear metalization) in the first 3 tracks. Anyway, I could not detect this in the Positive Vibration track, despite the checking show it.

About the second disc (Exodus 40: The Movement Continues...) there is not lossy sound quality. Only problem, to me, is the sound is a little too compressed (check the dynamic range of either Exodus albums. ), not to airy like the original album. But...as this is a new statement...then this is acceptable.

Im disapointed with the sound quality and I will not buy the expensive vinyl super deluxe set to get bad sound.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  8. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Got the 3Cd version and the gold vinyl. As for the live disc - I've heard Wailers shows that were tighter, but any new live Marley is welcome. The newness of the material shows somewhat, but still very enjoyable. The Ziggy disc is interesting, but not amazing. It's just ok - doubt I will listen to it much. The vinyl is flat as a pancake and sounds fantastic, and a very quiet pressing.

dee likes this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

Looks like I am going to have to download all the live tracks now as well as the few new 40 mixes I liked. Been enjoying these live tracks, whatever the sonics, am just enjoying listening to the songs and their performances.

Shvartze Shabbos and Simeon like this.
  10. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

The live tracks are superb!

dee, Simeon and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  11. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

anyone rip the 12"? i'd be interesting in hearing about your methods via PM because i don't have the set-up to rip vinyl!

12. pez

pez Forum Resident

You can her the difference in a lot of chopped vocals from different tales on the Ziggy one love version. It's s great track but those box aren't blended well.some are dripping with revert and others very dry

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

Good news! This will save the Kaya from the badest (true bad sound (mix and too loud), specially in the CD 2 Rotterdam 78' concert where they used only 1 channel of the recording!) deluxe release ever.

15. django68

django68 Forum Resident

I listened to the Spotify version of Is This Love and found it a bit pointless. Nothing really interesting going on in the mix, and too much reverb on the vocals IMO. I hate when they go over the top with remixes, and it's always subjective of course, but this one just seemed completely lacking imagination.

16. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

I agree. Nothing special on this.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don’t think any version of this this will include the live show of the previous Deluxe, the 2-CD I linked looks like it is the original album on one disc (probably the standard Ted Jensen remaster) and a new remix on the second. If there will be larger version(s), as with Exodus, I would presume the additional disc(s) will include something previously unreleased.

I agree the previous Deluxe was a joke compared to the old ones that had been done for other albums.

Edit: It is for sale here and it will only be a 2-LP and 2-CD release of the original and the remix.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Had a chance to listen properly, since it was in the middle of the night when I found it, and I agree with you assessment. The only notable thing I took away from it was that the whole thing was swimming in reverb. I hear nothing special that is new in the mix and the vocals seemed like the same familair take all the way.

What I really would like to see reissued is the actual single mix of "Is This Love", which was also on the original Legend, but was replaced when it was remastered.

There are also plenty of other vintage mixes they could put out instead of this, for example on Songs of Freedom there is a great "horns mix" of this same song, there are mixes like that of other songs from both Exodus and Kaya (they should really have made a "sessions" box for those albums, as they were recorded back to back).

pablorkcz, crozcat and mateus like this.
  19. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Agree about the single mix of Is This Love - also the original 7" mix of Waiting In Vain isn't available digitally. One of my favourite alternative cuts of Is This Love has Bob phrasing the chorus differently [with no backing vocals,] a great shame they didn't use that vocal take.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I wasn't aware of this. So the mix of "Is This Love" on the original 1984 Legend CD is different from the one on the CD that Barry Diament remastered?

21. I think it’s on the deluxe edition of Legend.

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The single mix is on the original LP, I don't have an old CD, but I assume it would be the same since they also use the shorter single versions. I'm not sure Barry was aware either, when he decided to use all album versions of songs.

No it's not, and in fact the Deluxe has no additional version of "Is This Love".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.