Bobbie Gentry! New 8CD boxset including lost albums!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raphph, Jul 27, 2018.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Mine made it today at 6pm. It's hefty.

AndyB and RSteven like this.
  2. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

I just checked and mine does that too. I also noticed on "Joanne" on the same disc, at 1:45 "can't help it" comes in a fraction too early and messes up the timing, but that was probably the performance itself rather than a bad splice or anything else that could have happened later.

3. mannys

mannys Forum Resident

I'd like to think the Bobbie Gentry shows are sitting on a shelf in storage but Australian stations were notorious for wiping over tapes or just throwing them out.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Bobbie and Donovan on a song best known by a version by The Allman Bros.

5. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

This is definitely living up to the hype. Currently enjoying the Japanese version of “The Fool on the Hill.” Very unexpected, but fun.

frightwigwam, AndyB and Mr. H like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can imagine, but the Peter Cook & Dudley Moore shows survived from there. I'm not expecting anything and I can imagine the archives have already been checked, especially by people searching for Doctor Who. It would be nice though. If any do exist there, they'd probably be black & white.

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Same here but no dings. It was hairraising to receive the box floating around inside that thinnish envelope.

Galley and RSteven like this.
  8. The latest Procol Harum Box is also the same size

Mylene likes this.
  9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

My better half is Japanese, and she commented on how well done the performance is. In other words, Japanese people wouldn't burst out laughing the moment they hear it. Bobby's other non-English performances were obviously in demand and well received at the time - she was a natural polyglot artist. Such talent. Intelligence just drips from her voice when she sings. Every little nuance.

Las Vegas in the 1970s somehow doesn't fit the overall picture.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I get what you're saying, but if I had to guess I'd venture that it fit the picture of Bobbie Gentry's focus on independence, autonomy, and earning the financial ability to walk away from it all with a substantial pile of f-you money.

11. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

@AndyB, you are doing God's work. When I saw the listing for this box months ago, I couldn't believe it! I ordered it immediately and it just arrived. You've made my entire year! I grew up in Mississippi, and Bobbie Gentry has always held a special place in my heart and my record collection.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

@AndyB - Can you comment on whether or not there is footage or recordings out there of those Las Vegas shows? Maybe something that would be released in the future?

RSteven likes this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I know its hard now to fathom how someone could see Las Vegas as a "cool" gig, but Elvis and the Rat Pack guys did make it pretty hip at various stages in their careers. I also remember what Charlie Rich's wife, Margaret Ann, said after her husband had his breakthrough hit with Behind Closed Doors and went directly to playing the same Las Vegas Hilton showroom that Elvis was playing, after years of playing small lounges and clubs. She said that Vegas had the best sound, best lighting and best musicians that Charlie had ever played with at the time. Virtually every major hotel had their own orchestra that would accompany the artists regular band, and I bet Bobbie sounded great with those fantastic Jimmie Haskell arranged strings on her iconic hits. As someone who saw Frank Sinatra in both an arena show and a Las Vegas showroom setting, I can assure that the difference is night and day. I also think that @Stone Turntable nailed it on the head from Bobbie's viewpoint with this second post.

14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Has anyone that pre-ordered @ Amazon US within that first 48 hours and chose regular speed mail gotten a shipped notice? I originally ordered day of release delivery but changed that to the slower speed after I got a copy through eBay. Figured I would save the $13. It's telling me it should arrive Friday but as of yet no indication it has shipped.

15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

This box sounds GREAT!

AndyB, The Killer, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  16. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...been working my way through the first three discs, and yeah, it's brilliant. Kelly Gordon and Jim Ford were geniuses!

Greenalishi and RSteven like this.
  17. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

I agree...although it would be awesome if she appeared out of nowhere to tell us we were all totally wrong about her and her legacy -- like Marshall McLuhan did in Annie Hall.

Greenalishi, johnnyyen and Mazzy like this.
  18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Maybe so — but make no mistake, it's Donovan's song.

BadJack and sonnyrock like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Not to derail the thread, but I have NEVER heard this by the Allman Brothers -- I only know Donovan's version!

Tord, AndyB, Egg Crisis and 3 others like this.
  20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

The Allmans called it "Mountain Jam."

Mylene likes this.
  21. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

I'm still waiting on Bull Moose. Getting frustrated. I understand there have been hang ups.......

22. pghmusiclover

There is one clip of her Vegas show on Youtube and it's completely mind boggling (and as much as I hate to say it, tacky and awful). I'm guessing at the time she was working there, it was expected for shows to be gaudy -- more about a spectacle than music. All the same, it seems that Bobbie knew what she was doing, and apparently made enough from that gig (combined with royalties of "Billie Joe" and "Fancy", no doubt) to retire comfortably and never look back.

johnnyyen and Stone Turntable like this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Can't be arsed with that! There's plenty of shorter entire albums.

Marble Index and majorlance like this.
  25. pghmusiclover

Agreed! The original song is under 3:00 minutes, so 33 minutes seems like a BIT of a stretch!

Marble Index likes this.