Bobby Darin: Songs From Big Sur (2004 Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Groovy, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member Thread Starter

Awhile ago, Sean Keane posted about this then-new disc, but it's now in the archive section.

I'm SO sorry I missed that post!

It's a best-of Bobby's two hippie albums with VERY rare non-album singles from about 1967-1970. This is a hot, hot comp - with a terrible title.

It's on Varese Sarabande and man, it's good stuff! I was talking to Jimmy Scalia (Bobby's archivist and compiler of the disc) about it and it sold practically nothing, because no one knew about it! It seemed to have done well in England, though.

But it's sooooo good and remastered by Dan Hersch. I don't think any NR was used - plenty of hiss on some of the later live tracks with Bobby at the Troubadour. It's the studio tracks that really kick, though.

Anyone have this? It's groovy, Bobby wrote all the songs - just great, great stuff. It's not the Bobby you know. GRAB IT!

JEFF!

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I picked this up last month. Not exactly what one would expect from the man. Haven't had a chance to listen all the way through yet but I liked what I heard.

3. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I think it's a great disc and it also sounds great, but it wasn't the release I was hoping it would be. I assumed that it was going to be a two-for-one of Bobby's two 'hippie' records. Both of those are completely great. Jive is a fine record, but it's been available on CD since 1995. The same goes for Me And Mr. Hohner and Song For A Dollar. I no longer have the Commitment LP, and would love to hear Water Colour Canvas, Light Blue, and a couple more from that record that are no where to be found on CD. The song Bullfrog from his first Direction LP is, lyrically and musically, a masterpiece. Too bad it's not out on CD.
    To call that CD The Big Sur Sessions is a bit untrue, because a few of the earlier tracks were from 1967, two or three years before Bobby went to live in a trailer on his friend's apple orchard to focus on the material which would later become known as the Big Sur period.
    The previously unreleased singles are terrific, though, so I'm not really complaining. I would just really like to see those two original albums on CD. I used to see those LPs in Montreal used record stores all the time. I should have bought a couple of copies of each. I bought Commitment new when I was fifteen, just before going to the theater to watch Midway. What a strange young man I was; Buying an anti-war record, then going to watch a war movie in Sensurround!

4. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Commitment is my favorite Bob(by) Darin album of all. I second a 2-fer with Born Walden Robert Cossotto! :thumbsup:

5. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.