Bobby Fuller Four Mono CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontokyo, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

Has there ever been a mono collection of this material issued on CD?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. rontokyo

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Nice separation on the three different issues I've got, but too often the lead vocals are either hard left or right--which annoys me no end--and tends to, on some tracks, bury the vocals a bit.

4. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

:shake: Yeah, the 'Never To Be Forgotten box is very cool but that stereo is a bit severe.

5. Steve Hoffman

Those stereo mixes really suck (some of them).

Now that the catalog has been sold to a major, the monos might as well be in the trash...

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I Fought The Law: The Best Of The Bobby Fuller Four has mostly mono single mixes, including the original take of "Take My Word". Unfortunately, it's line-up is rather poorly chosen: "Phantom Dragster" is here, "Never To Be Forgotten" is not.

Only "She's My Girl" is stereo, everything else is in nice mono. The mono "Don't Ever Let Me Know" is worth the price of admission.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_9/103-6538153-2581409?v=glance&s=music

8. rontokyo

I wasn't aware the catalog had been sold. Who bought it? But yeah, it's hard to believe that any major label would ever issue the mono mixes. Maybe lease them to Sundazed?

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

There are some mono tracks out there - find the Rhino 3" mini single for 4 of them... Are the Ace discs from awhile back all stereo?

10. rontokyo

I now seem to remember reading about this release--it was sort of a "companion" to the "Never to be Forgotten" set with different mixes. Thanks for the tip--I'll look for it. But I sure agree with you--if the purpose was to release mono mixes, an 18-20 track CD including all non-surf/drag stuff from the two original LPs would've made much more sense.

11. rontokyo

The ones I have are stereo.

12. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I think most if not all of the tracks on the two EL PASO ROCK , early recordings of Bobby Fuller on the Norton label are in mono. Been a while since I listened to them. There are a lot of earlier but equally kicka** [edited by Dave] versions of tunes he later rerecorded for the Mustang label. At any rate you can't go wrong with any version of any song by the late great Bobby Fuller IMO.

13. Steve Hoffman

Big problems on the CD mastering of that early stuff (in the semi-fake looking Scotch tape box). They took the nice mono tracks, and FOLDED THEM into mono after being played back on a stereo machine, thereby throwing most of the songs out of phase. Like, hello? Mastering 101 class is calling whoever did that...

14. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

I always thought that they sounded a little funky. Obviously it would have been better if they had been played back on a mono machine, but would not folding them have resulted in a much better sound or just a different flavor of phasing issue?

15. Steve Hoffman

Well, they didn't have to play back the mono tapes on a mono machine, just pick ONE channel of the stereo machine and use that, it would have sounded fine. When you combine TWO channels of mono using stereo heads that are not aligned, you run the risk of screwing everything up. Some mastering consoles wrongly have a MONO button that is a L+R. This is such a no-no. The mastering console I use has a button for "left channel", a "right channel", etc. Sigh. Oh well. Life goes on...

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Did Norton make the same mastering mistake with the El Paso Rock sets, or just Del-Fi with the Shakedown box?

17. Isn't the commerical CD of Sinatra's "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" done the same way as well? There's some phase cancellation on the top end, as I recall.

18. Of course, I meant standard issue Capitol CD when I said "commercial" - say what you mean, right?

19. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

that's been on my wish list for a long time--cool looking pkg. at least I know now, the sound sucks.

doug

20. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

So, if I want to needle drop a mono LP to my PC I should sum the channels but if I want to convert an old mono cassette to digital (via my stereo cassette deck) I should use one channel only and split it for the stereo line in on the PC.

Is that the rule of thumb???

Thanks for your guidance and inspiration.

21. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Same with the Rhino CD, sounds like some of these were twin-track mixes, nothing more...

ED :ed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.