Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story tonight May 18 2018 on PBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JohnO, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Thank you for starting this thread as I wasn't aware of this program. Anytime I've seen Hedy in a movie, I've always been impressed with her. I caught H. M. Pulham, Esq on TV recently and thought it was fantastic.

I knew about her involvement with frequency hopping, but only that fact and never any of the details. It was great to dive into that subject to see what level of involvement she had. It's really too bad that she didn't get much recognition for it until very late in her life. It was also really sad to see how much money she generated for the government by selling war bonds as an alien, yet her patent was seized for the same reason (because she was an alien).

One part that struck me was that for all of her quotes that she wished people would look beyond the face and into the brain, she sure had a lot of plastic surgery. At least she did it in her way, by using her inquisitive mind to suggest better methods (e.g. where to put the scars).

I'd love to hear some suggestions on her films. It looks like there aren't too many on Blu-ray (Samson and Delilah and My Favorite Spy). The video they showed of Loves of Three Queens, looked to be in really bad shape.

2. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Finally got to see this on Netflix. Glad she is getting recognition. As far as her movies go I recommend “Algiers” with Charles Boyer.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sadly, they ignored the patent so it had no impact on the war. It wasn't until long after it had expired that the utility of the technique was recognized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.