Bon Jovi - Crush

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dynamic Ranger, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone on here have it? I couldn't find anything in the search results. I ask because while it's definitely not one of his better albums, it's still pretty good... I'm not talking about the sound quality of the mastering. Cuz.. That... Is... CRAP!

Compression city all the way. It's got a DR of 6! They sure named the album good in regards to sound. Because it's CRUSHED! :laugh:

I like maybe half of the songs on it, the other half is just... Meh. But the good stuff on it is pretty darn good! IMO. :p

Anyway, some folks here must at least remember it? I remember "It's My Life" getting huge amounts of air-time and radio-play back in 2000/2001. Just about all the youngsters knew who Bon Jovi was again!

Anyone who has this album, or has heard it. Feel free to leave your comments/thoughts about it.

It can be positive, OR negative! ;)

Pretty much what I'm saying is... Is it a gem? Or a turd?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    paradox55 likes this.
  2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I have it. I enjoy most of it. I think its a real solid album and him aging gracefully....His last real good "rock" album in my opinion.

3. mikedifr0923

I love Its My Life, Next 100 Years, Two Story Town, Just Older, Captain Crash and One Wild Night. They were great live on that tour.

A good ballad or two as well for those into that style.

The rest are decent, no clunkers.

The MEZ, gitters, Szeppelin75 and 3 others like this.
  4. Dynamic Ranger

I have to agree on It's My Life and the rest you mentioned. Those are my favorites too. But It's My Life is seriously one of my favorite songs of all time! I couldn't stop playing it over and over after I first heard it back in the day. And even now, once I get playing it once, I just HAVE to hit that rewind button after the abrupt ending! All in all, even in the tracks I don't enjoy as much as the rest. I still think it's a timeless effort. And as you stated in your previous post, a good portrait/showing of Jon aging gracefully.

The MEZ, 905, paradox55 and 2 others like this.
  5. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Disagree. Bounce was very good as well, and among the heaviest albums they released. I also liked a lot of the songs from Have a Nice Day but that was the last one I was a fan of.

Crush really is a great album. That and Bounce were around the time I was really getting into rock music more actively when I was younger as opposed to just casually listening to whatever was put in the car or the stereo, so I definitely have a soft spot for those, and still hold up for me.

cageyc, Weirwolfe and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. mikedifr0923

Bounce and Have Nice Day have good singles and I enjoy both but I don't like the rest of the albums as much as Crush.

The MEZ and Weirwolfe like this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's My Life...summer song 2000...seems like yesterday.

Interpolantics, The MEZ, 905 and 4 others like this.
  8. Dynamic Ranger

It truly was the anthem of the summer! 2000 was the year I graduated, and I can clearly recall my classmates playing that song on their CD walkmans during the last few days of graduation on the bus. (Back when the kiddies still bought and played CDs on a regular basis!) Time really flies.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

bounce was his last rock album. have a nice day was the last gasp of anything i want to hear from them

10. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Great record. Bon Jovi's last stand as a national hitmaker.

I need to buy the vinyl but keep putting it off. I havent seen anyone comment on the vinyl yet and if its better than the cd.

11. mikedifr0923

That's one I wouldn't mind on vinyl.

Anyone have it that can comment on SQ?

12. mikedifr0923

I look at the track list for Crush, Bounce and Have a Nice Day and for the life of me can't remember any of the songs by the name on bounce and HaND other than the singles. Crush I can sing them all just by looking at the name. The melodies and choruses all stuck in my head.

Bounce and HaND were both rock albums, but they just weren't as consistently good as Crush

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Pretty sure Have A Nice Day had some big hits...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Dynamic Ranger

I think Have a Nice Day is another good one. But something about Crush keeps pulling me back to it. And no, it's not just nostalgia of the better times of that era, it's the SONGS. They are very good.

The more I listen to those other tracks I never liked when I was younger, the more they are growing on me. Being more of appreciative of music now than I was back in 2000. One of the songs I would always skip was Save the World. Well, after listening to the whole thing last night, I can say that Save the World is REALLY good! I love this song! I will echo what most have said here already, you really can't go wrong with any song from Crush. It's better than I remembered. I'm glad I kept it all these years!

15. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

there was a lot of over selling of that record. The bon jovi machine wanted that to be as big as crush but it just wasnt.

Crush kind of came out of nowhere after years of no new music and the TRL mtv crowd dug its my life and they had one last run at top 40 radio.

Crush was great.

driverdrummer and mikedifr0923 like this.
  16. mikedifr0923

Well said. It's just such a great album whereas those after it had some good songs and then a decent amount of filler

17. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

That album fit in very well with the modern pop rock of the day, used to play this album alongside Matchbox Twenty-Mad Season and U2-All That You Can't Leave Behind.

18. Dynamic Ranger

I too LOVE the Mad Season album! That along with Crush, and a few other albums of the time, really bring back memories when I play them.

mikedifr0923 and driverdrummer like this.
  19. Jimmy Agates

Sorry but ....

Have a Nice Day singles....
    Have a Nice Day #53
    Who Says You Can't Go Home #23

Have a Nice Day album #2

Crush singles...
    It's My Life #33
    Thank You for Loving Me #57

Crush album #9

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

I rate Crush quite highly a lot of great songs I felt they dipped again with Bounce and made a brilliant recovery with HAND. Since then the only album I've enjoyed is their latest which is very very good indeed.

21. mikedifr0923

Your point? This doesn't change that the rest of Crush is 1000 times better than the rest of Have a Nice Day.

And you also have to look at what else was on the charts at that time and the fact that the charts were becoming less and less important

I wonder how many casual fans remember It's My Life compared to Have a Nice Day

22. Matthew Tate

just being honest. where i live i haven't heard its my life on any radio station in over 10 years but the country station still plays "who says you can't go home"

Purple and Jimmy Agates like this.
  23. mikedifr0923

The country station....

24. Matthew Tate

yes it was a huge hit with country star jennifer nettles doing a duet with the band. after that the band decided the next album would be more country influenced and did the album lost highway

25. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

the initial sales of have a nice day were driven by the optimism of crush. MNF and ESPN were using have a nice day as a song.

The crush album gave them a younger audience and made the live shows better. Better songs.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.