Bonnie Prince Billy - Wolf of the Cosmos. New New album, Great Title

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

2. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

3. It's Felix

4. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

I have! Its a full-album cover... album. Per Drag City: "Bonny sings Susanna, to simply try and save the world. Sonata Dwarf Mix Cosmos is an old companion of his, and with the Chijimi house band + 1, they bring it all back home again, this time to the space in Bonny's place."

The original Susanna LP is a cool, haunting, death-haunted, jazz chamber-y songwriter album. Wolf of the Cosmos is the same thing... except the tone is shifted towards kind of front porch ramshackle old-timey death-haunted, haunting songwriter, except still hung around these strange, skeletal song forms as Susanna designed them. It's very good, odd, although I rate everything Oldham has done in the past twenty years somewhere between "very good" and "cosmically good." It's certainly a tiny record (I don't want to say 'lesser' as your mileage may vary) - tonally akin to Bonnie Prince Billy, Chijimi, Wolfroy, and Wonder Show. Certainly not an album that would convert a new listener, but not an album that will alienate or surprise anybody that loves WO

As noted, though, I am an easy target for Oldham records. Only significant thing that he's done this millenia that I haven't liked was the Bitchin Bajas collab

5. It's Felix

Thank you!

6. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

listening to this LP right now. vinyl is a bit crackly, but the music is wonderful! have to track down the original album from Susanna...

7. aintgotnoclock

aintgotnoclock Forum Resident

This recording has gone under the radar - try to find a published review. But it's utterly beautiful and entrancing. Susanna's austere, sincere Scandinavian songs get a warm, homespun Appalachian interpretation. The performance is really breathtaking and the recording makes it sound as if you're in the room. The music is playful, respectful, heartfelt, workmanlike, creative. Recommended to fans of American folksong, bluegrass, chamber music, and European art song.

"Hold your horses,
    Have you gone mad?
    Or are you just feeling
    Sad?"

It's Felix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.