Bonniwell Music Machine: Ultimate Turn On

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AtcoFan, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I wish someone would do a proper reissue of "The Bonniwell Music Machine." The Sundazed CD, besides having the order shuffled, is all Bob Irwin remixes. I have the original WB stereo LP and it sounds very different.

Rhino (or whoever owns the masters) needs to do a mono/stereo reissue with the original mixes.

I used to get occasional emails from Sean Bonniwell, and they were always... interesting. Same with his posts on Facebook. I was very sad to learn of his passing, he never got the recognition he deserved. His self-published autobiography is a real trip.

Platterpus likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Man, I didn't know that remixes were used thus making this album sound different than the original Warner Bros. vinyl.:confused: No wonder this album costs a fortune to get on vinyl. I guess I didn't read the liner notes too close. The only thing I noticed about the Sundazed CD is that one of the tracks is marked mono but it actually plays stereo. Thanks for the tip action pact. I still like the music despite the remixes, but original mixes are important. Remixes are a fun thing to have on the side e.g. (The Seeds), but should not substitute the original mix. I don't have it, but Sean's solo album Close was remixed by Sean for the Real Gone CD reissue. Another pricey original vinyl that had a very small amount pressed. RIP Sean.

4. action pact

I have the original LP and, aside from a pretty cool laid back arrangement of "Dark White, it's a pretty terrible album. Imagine a full album of the wimpy acoustic ballads that were included on the Music Machine's albums (like "The Day Today"). If I weren't such a big fan of Bonniwell, I'd sell it.

Platterpus likes this.
  5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I like the song "The Day Today" as it showed his voice in almost a soft Jim Morrison way. The spoken word thing in the middle is cool as well. I listened to some of the sound clips from "Close" on allmusic and heard some full songs on youtube. It's different. I put the album on the back burner and may get it someday if I can find it used or cheap. I also read that Sean actually didn't like the way the album turned out. I'm surprised it was reissued. But he was dying and due to request from his fans he caved in and put it out in remixed form. Now you have 2 rare LP's of Sean's on vinyl.:cool:

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Any other CD reissue of the Turn On album except for the version that came in Big Beat's Ultimate Turn On 2 CD comp. should be discarded. The Big Beat CD is the definitive version since it has the mono mix of the album as well as the stereo. I have it, as well as the Repertoire CD and the Performance CD.

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Maybe this album was remixed by Bob Irwin because the original vinyl version sounds terrible. The music is fantastic and strange and wondrous, but listening to that original LP is pretty rough going. Bizarre mix choices, with instruments all the way in one channel, very closed-down sound, just really difficult to enjoy properly. The CD is also kind of strange sounding, but I think it is easier to listen to. Having said all that, I'm not going to get rid of my original LP! (Even though I pretty seriously considered in the past - it even made it into the "get rid of" pile before I pulled it out and put it back into the wall.)

8. action pact

It also harkens back to his folkie days... It's not too much of a departure from the Wayfarers. I used to have three of their RCA albums and it is surprising that Sean Bonniwell was in such a squeaky clean, commercial folk group. However, in his autobiography, he spends a considerable amount of space discussing that period in his life and career, and seemed to regard it with a lot of affection. Heck, the Wayfarers even had a reunion in, I think, the early '80s.

Keep an eye out for a cool early '70s 45 by Zebra called "Christmas Morning" (parts 1 & 2) on Blue Thumb/Capitol. Zebra was an interracial group that Bonniwell formed (hence the name) and he wrote and produced the single. You can clearly hear his voice too. I found my copy cheap on eBay.

[​IMG]

Bob Irwin, for all his considerable good work, has a tendency to remix stuff that doesn't need remixing, ie: the Byrds, the Standells, the Cyrkle, Paul Revere & the Raiders, etc. But you're right, the Music Machine's WB album sounds pretty bad, at least in stereo. I'm not so sure Irwin improved it, though.

9. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Uh no. The early Byrds and Paul Revere and the Raiders definitely needed remixes for stereo, and Irwin's remixes are spot on for those. I haven't heard his Standells or Cyrkle remixes or enough of the original mixes to comment on those.

Derek

10. action pact

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

11. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member Thread Starter

Platterpus likes this.
  12. action pact

Wow, cool!!

I miss Sean Bonniwell. I used to get emails from him once in a while, and they were always entertaining. His self-published autobiography is a fascinating read. They guy was quite a character, and quite brilliant too.

Platterpus likes this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I'm definitely going to pick this up. Big Beat sure has been on a role with great reissues for the last year or so. I can only assume this is another project headed by Alec Palao. If that's the case, I know it's going to be grand.:righton:

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

http://keepkey.yochanan.net/mm.htm

Bonniwell Music Machine
    Big Beat CDTOP2319
    49 Tracks

CD 01
    Astrologically Incompatible
    Double Yellow Line
    The Day Today
    Absolutely Positively
    Somethin' Hurtin' On Me
    The Trap
    Soul Love
    Bottom Of The Soul
    Talk Me Down
    The Eagle Never Hunts The Fly
    I've Loved You
    Affirmative No
    Discrepancy
    Me, Myself & I
    In My Neighborhood
    You'll Love Me Again
    To The Light
    Time Out (For A Daydream)
    Tin Can Beach
    Unka Tinka Ty
    Tell Me What Ya Got
    Everything Is Everything
    Black Snow
    This Should Make You Happy

CD 02
    Sean Bonniwell - Gimme Gimme (Home Demo)
    Sean Bonniwell - Stand Aside (Home Demo)
    Two Much
    Push Don't Pull
    Chances
    Talk Me Down
    The Music Machine - Point Of No Return
    I'll Take The Blame (Home Demo)
    The Life I Live (Home Demo)
    Would You Believe (Home Demo)
    Inside Eternity (Home Demo)
    Paper Mache (Home Demo)
    You'll Love Me Again (Home Demo)
    Dark White (Demo)
    King Mixer (Demo)
    She Is (Demo)
    Reach Me In Time (Demo)
    Closed (Demo)
    Temporary Knife (Demo)
    Advise & Content
    Mother Nature - Father Earth
    Dark White
    King Mixer
    Sean Bonniwell - Citizen Fear

***Below is my track by track breakdown and comparison of this upcoming Big Beat CD reissue with the Sundazed - Beyond The Garage and Ignition CD's***:

Bonniwell Music Machine
    Big Beat CDTOP2319
    49 Tracks

CD 01

All of disc one contains all the contents of the Sundazed CD - Beyond The Garage except for the song (No Girl Gonna Cry).

CD 02

The contents on disc two below are all exclusive to this Big Beat - Bonniwell Music Machine CD:

Sean Bonniwell - Gimme Gimme (Home Demo)
    Sean Bonniwell - Stand Aside (Home Demo)
    I'll Take The Blame (Home Demo)
    The Life I Live (Home Demo)
    Would You Believe (Home Demo)
    Inside Eternity (Home Demo)
    Paper Mache (Home Demo)
    You'll Love Me Again (Home Demo)
    Dark White (Demo)
    King Mixer (Demo)
    She Is (Demo)
    Reach Me In Time (Demo)
    Closed (Demo)
    Temporary Knife (Demo)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Beyond The Garage - Sundazed

1. Bottom Of The Soul (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    2. Absolutely Positively (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    3. Soul Love (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    4. Somethin' Hurtin' On Me (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    5. Affirmative No (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    6. The Trap (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    7. Eagle Never Hunts The Fly (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)

8. No Girl Gonna Cry (Only present on the Sundazed - Beyond The Garage CD, not on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    9. Me, Myself, I (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    10. To The Light (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    11. Tin Can Beach (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    12. Time Out For A Daydream (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    13. Astrologically Incompatible (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    14. Discrepancy (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    15. Talk Me Down (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    16. I've Loved You (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    17. You'll Love Me Again (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    18. In My Neighborhood (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    19. Double Yellow Line (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    20. The Day Today (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ignition - Sundazed

1. Everything Is Everything (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    2. Two Much (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    3. Advise And Consent (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    4. This Should Make You Happy (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    5. Black Snow (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    6. Chances (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    7. Mother Nature,-Father Earth (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    8. Talk Me Down (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    9. Dark White (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    10. Push Don't Pull (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)

11. Smoke And Water (Only present on the Sundazed - Ignition CD, not on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    12. King Mixer (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    13. Unca Tinka Ty (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    14. Citizen Fear (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)

15. Worry (instrumental) (Only present on the Sundazed - Ignition CD, not on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    16. Worry (vocal) (Only present on the Sundazed - Ignition CD, not on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)

17. Tell Me What Ya Got (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    18. Point Of No Return (Only present on the Sundazed - Ignition CD, not on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)
    19. 902 (Also on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)

Disclaimer: This is just a stab in the dark analysis of the tracks between the three CD sets mentioned above. This is by no means set in stone and could have inaccuracies. Since only the track listing has been published for the Big Beat set in the link at the top of this post, this is only a reference to the tracks only. Anything about production, mastering and mixes is still yet to be heard.

BTW, I'm very excited about this upcoming Big Beat CD reissue and have thoroughly enjoyed their other Music Machine reissue as well as the two Sundazed CD's reissues. Thank you Sundazed and Big Beat for all your great work.

AtcoFan likes this.
  15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Update. Sorry about the bold text in my prior post. At the same time this is exciting, this is also confusing me as well. As it turns out the Big Beat - The Ultimate Turn On CD has some more of the tracks I forgot about that I highlighted below:

No Girl Gonna Cry (two versions)
    Smoke And Water (two versions)
    Worry (two versions, with vocals) ***The Sundazed Ignition CD has a backing track version as well (no vocals)***

***Point Of No Return (Still only present on the Sundazed - Ignition CD, not on the upcoming Bonniwell Music Machine CD on Big Beat)***

Still too early to tell what this new Big Beat release is all about until Big Beat puts up the pre-publicity info on their site with all the details. I can't wait to read more about this reissue and hear the sound clips.:thumbsup:

AtcoFan likes this.
  16. action pact

The tracks from "The Bonniwell Music Machine" LP on the Sundazed CD are all remixes done by Bob Irwin. Can you confirm that the new CD has the original 1967 Warner Brothers mixes?

Platterpus likes this.
  17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I would like to know this as well.

18. action pact

I'd be surprised if Big Beat reissued the Irwin remixes, but you never know.

19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I hope the original mixes are used for this set. The way Alec Palao and Big Beat have been doing The Seeds reissues makes me hopeful. I have nothing bad to say about the remixes done by Bob Irwin since he is pretty darn good at it and does them in good taste. But to hear the original mixes, even if they are odd sounding like forum member zongo said, I still want to hear them. I like all my Music Machine CD's from a variety of labels, Sundazed, Big Beat, Performance and Repertoire. They all sound great.

20. action pact

I have a well-worn original stereo LP, and I prefer the original mixes. I'd prefer to see the mono mixes used instead however, as the stereo mixes aren't that great.

Platterpus likes this.
  21. william r small

william r small Forum Resident

All of the above makes for interesting reading to this Bonniwell fan and that link offers some great info. Thanks very much.
    Just a couple minor points to add here - the mono LP version of "The Bonniwell Music Machine" (W-1732) offers slightly different mixes on many of those tracks, as is usually the case with recordings from that time. The mix of 'The Eagle Never Hunts the Fly' on that LP has sound effects which are unique to it: different from both the Original Sound mono single and the WB stereo LP version. Only copy I've seen was a promo copy and it may never have had an actual retail release, I don't know.
    Also, a single usually ignored in Bonniwell discographies is Nothin's Too Good For My Car / So Long Ago credited to "The Friendly Torpedos" on Original Sound OS-95. Both sides written, and clearly sung by, Sean Bonniwell. Produced by "Buff and Bonniwell." The A side is a humorous novelty number with band backing, and the B is an accoustic ballad which is a recounting of Bonniwell's take on the Music Machine era.

Platterpus likes this.
  22. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I seriously need to find my copy of this. Not sure what happened to it. Wanted to stick some of it on my last walkman now setting up to transfer music to one again and got to find it. Was thinking that earlier then now have seen this

23. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member Thread Starter

The compilations began 30 years ago with Harold Bronson's landmark
    Best Of The Music Machine (Rhino RNLP / RNC 119).

Attached Files:

GTOJUDGE and Platterpus like this.
  24. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Whoa. This looks great. Much love for this era MM/Bonniwell. "Dark White" is incredible - just completely overpowering. Always a bit more to that cat than was immediately apparent.

Platterpus likes this.
  25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

More info from: http://www.60sgaragebands.com/newsnuggets.html

*JANUARY 17, 2014* The Music Machine
    are one of the most respected and best loved American bands of the 1960s, renowned for their powerful sonic assault and intelligently crafted repertoire. Big Beat's Ultimate Turn On compilation from 2006 anthologised the monochromatically-garbed combo's hit 'Talk Talk' era, and now we turn our focus to the latter half of the Music Machine's career.
    The Bonniwell Music Machine was originally released in early 1968 and consisted of outtakes and single sides by the original Music Machine, along with newer recordings featuring the band's second line-up: both incarnations headed by charismatic singer, songwriter and rock savant Sean Bonniwell. Now with this deluxe 2CD expanded reissue, the original album is augmented by further non-LP single sides and outtakes, and a whole second disc of vintage Music Machine rarities, drawn from the untapped tape collection of the late Sean Bonniwell.

While the improved sound quality of the Warner Brothers sides supersedes previous reissues of this material, it is the unissued material that will surprise and delight Music Machine fans, featuring as it does a rash of previously unknown songs. Many of these are heard as Bonniwell's home demos, acoustic in nature but captivating nonetheless.

The original band's first recordings (as The Ragamuffins), along with unreleased studio and rehearsal takes by the second line-up, and a jam-packed, detail-filled booklet, all contribute to making Big Beat's The Bonniwell Music Machine an exhaustive and definitive celebration of The Music Machine, truly a band amongst bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.