Bono bicycle accident: U2 singer undergoes 5 hours of surgery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

First saw the story Wednesday evening on the NBC Nightly News w/ Brian Williams.

Bono bicycle accident: U2 singer undergoes five hours of facial and reconstructive surgery

[​IMG]

The 54-year-old singer's worst injuries were a “facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye” and a bone “tearing through his skin”

In the latest episode of "Bono gets stuck in Final Destinationloop", the full extent of the injuries he suffered after falling from his bike in New York on Sunday have been disclosed.

The U2 frontman was forced to undergo a gruelling five hours of reconstructive surgery to repair facial fractures, a shattered shoulder and a broken arm.

The 54-year-old singer was rushed to hospital after the “high energy bicycle accident” in Central Park. After numerous X-rays and a CAT scan, he was left needing three metal plates and 18 screws to patch up the damage – the worst of which included a “facial fracture involving the orbit of his eye” and a bone “tearing through his skin”.

Dean Lorich, Bono’s Orthopaedic trauma surgeon, told Rolling Stone magazine: “He was taken emergently to the operating room where the elbow was washed out and debrided.

“A nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws.”

He returned to the New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center the day afterwards to have his little finger reconstructed by surgeons.

Doctors expect the musician to make a full recovery, but only after intensive therapy.

Full story at the above link.

I was in a couple of bicycle accidents back in my 30s. One involved a young guy barreling around a blind corner on a bike path and hit me straight on. I had bumps, bruises, scrapes, bleeding, but nothing close to the Bono incident. Bono was apparently swerving to get out of the way of another bicycle when crashed.

U2's week long stint on The Tonight Show has been postponed, as I suspect their world tour.

Breaking eye sockets can be extremely painful. I wish him a speedy recovery.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The orbital is a particularly weak bone. I have a case involving a broken orbital following a fight almost every month.

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Damn! That's harsh. No tour from these guys anytime soon. :shake:

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Too cool to wear a bike helmet.....

5. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

One of the doctors was just on the news. They've been reviewing the x-rays but they still haven't found what they're looking for.
    Sorry Bono. Get well soon.

6. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Dude you've gotta stop getting into fights.

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Well nobody would know who he was with a helmet on. I don't ride without one. Helmet and sunglasses and the people I see every morning for years wouldn't know me if I walked up to them.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Ouchie!

9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Wednesday bloody Wednesday.

10. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

No. This severe accident is postponing U2's world tour and their 5 television performances on The Tonight Show.

If an artist or band was canceling or postponing a tour, which is happening here, you wouldn't be posting the story in Off Topics.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

You are right. It's music to my ears not having U2 perform ALL WEEK on The Tonight Show. ;) Actually I don't watch late night TV anymore so it wouldn't bother me. But if I did, I don't like the idea of a band buying a weeks worth of airtime. As they say, the rich get richer.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Darby, MikaelaArsenault and Hamhead like this.
  12. 007james

007james Forum Resident

A woman needs a man
    Like Bono needs a bicycle,
    I was at the park a few weeks back, its just so overcrowded ...

13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I'm no fan but that's a hard crash. Get well Bono Bonebreak.

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Or three or four or...

15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

He typically wears a helmet when biking:

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll get Kelly Clarkson to fill in.....Or Deep Purple..... :whistle:

17. zen

zen Senior Member

I'd DVR it. :whistle:

18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

He might want to consider wearing sunglasses to hide any scars from that eye injury.

Just sayin... :uhhuh:

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Congratulations for posting the first of what will doubtless be many quite douchey and ugly and generally pitiless posts reflecting the forum mob of U2 and Bono despisers.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

EDIT

Look, I apologize for lashing out. I love this forum in all it's glorious give-and-take and even in the contact-sport bantering and debate that goes right up to the verge of rudeness.

But I hate it when manners disappear entirely or musicians, however famous, are discussed with a heartlessness and sometimes hatefulness that is extremely tedious in its repetitiveness and cliched dullard meme-itude. ANYTHING about U2 and Bono here is instantly flooded with pure bile and cruel humor. It's hard to take and it's difficult not to respond.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    wilejoe, jsayers, sunspot42 and 15 others like this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have nut and bolts and steel bars in my left arm and right shoulder and what Bono is going through now and will go through in the future is not fun and is something kind of weird to joke about IMO. I'm not a Bono or U2 fan but from one human being to another I wish him the best.

22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I've got bolts on my nuts and a steel band in my armpit so i'm with you dude. Get well soon Bono.

23. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery!!!!

24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Yup, just the one thing which seems to be incredibly hard for some to do: Showing empathy.

I wish him the best as well. It's a particularly nasty fall. :cry:

sunspot42, ARK, SammyU and 2 others like this.
  25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Horrible news. Best wishes to Bono for a full and speedy recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.