Bonus disc for the Ed Sullivan / Beatles DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gary, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

My Ed Sullivan show DVDs finally came! Can't wait to give them a spin!

While flying around at 31,000 feet last month on Jet Blue airways, watching TV, I saw an advertisement about buying the Ed Sullivan / Beatles DVD "now" and getting a free bonus DVD or some sort.

I was hoping that I'd catch the free bonus disc offer but I missed it. :(

I even sent 'em an e-mail asking for the bonus disc.

Nope.

Does anyone know / remember what this disc was? It would have been nice to have.

Gary

(PS: And I was charged an extra 50% in $ to get it across the border, too! Ahhh, the joys of living in a foreign country.... :mad: )

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Gary, I don't think it's so much a bonus disc as a bonus "show". I haven't opened mine yet but clearly stated on the back is mention of four shows the first three being Feb 1964 and another show from Sep 1965. I saw the same advert you did on US tv.

I'll let you know more when I open it or someone else chimes in.

mud-

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The way it looks to me, the "bonus" disc is actually the show from '65, included with every copy as far as I know. The newest commercials make it sound like you're buying the three '64 shows, and getting the '65 show as a bonus.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, it's the 1965 show, the one where they get every lyric mixed up. :)

5. Gary

Thank you, Gentlemen! :)

I presume they did only one show in 1965?

I actually (vaguely) remember my parents dragging me in front of our B&W TV to see a 'suprise' - it was one of the Ed Sullivan shows with the Beatles! I wonder if I'll remember which one it was?

This is soooo cool!

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

More info on the "bonus" show:

When The Beatles came back to America in 1965, and while preparing for their famous concert at Shea Stadium in New York, they taped six songs on August 14, to be aired on the Sullivan Show on September 12, 1965. The Beatles played six songs; I Feel Fine, I'm Down, Act Naturally, Ticket To Ride, Yesterday and Help! Although taped, this would be the last "live" performance The Beatles did for The Ed Sullivan Show.

mud-

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I just got my set last week. They never made any mention whatsoever that the Sept. '65 show was an added bonus. I'm happy just to have gotten it, as it took nearly a month to get it from the time I ordered it to when it arrive on my doorstep. I also didn't realize that it was the final Sullivan show to be broadcast in black and white.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, the last B&W. Sullivan had to go to "the coast" to do his first color shows so they could rewire the 50th street CBS Sullivan theatre for color.

9. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Speaking of bonuses, was anyone else a sucker like I was, ordering the other "sets?" They're just Solt-packaged old TV shows, apparently: The British Invasion... Rock Revolution. Expensive, too. Mostly clips, stock footage, interviews, and slick narration. Only the occasional glimpse of anything cool, and expensive, IMHO...

10. Gary

I got "Rock 'n' Roll Forever which features The Doors, Elvis Presley, Janice Joplin, The Jackson 5, CCR and others.

I've not played it yet.

11. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

For my money, the only way to properly watch an Ed Sullivan show is to see it from beginning to end. There is (usually) absolutely no rhyme or reason to the collection of acts within any given show, but they seem to hang together, in a weird sort of way. Maybe it's an **internal** rhythm, I don't know... :)

Ed taped a few color shows for the new 1965 season during his visit to Television City that year, but the first of them (the week following the Beatles) was actually a live broadcast [if you lived on the East Coast] and featured Red Skelton, Polly Bergen, Sandler & Young and Dino, Desi & Billy.

A rilly b-i-i-i-g shew!!

-Kevin

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Do you guys think these are really limited? I wonder if they will be available in stores or online from the regulars like DeepDiscount, DVD mpire, DVDplanet,etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.