Book recommendations containing reprints of comics?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Since you mentioned Eddie Campbell, I would be remiss if I didn't likewise recommend Alan Moore and Campbell's astonishing take on the Ripper mythos, From Hell. It's been collected a couple of times in single-volume reprint form (a "Master Edition" was also recently announced that purports to be quite different as it is a colorized revision (the original is B&W) - more info on that here: Announcing FROM HELL: MASTER EDITION / Top Shelf Productions ).

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm way out of the loop on current releases and reprints. From Hell is an absolutely beautiful black and white book as is, I don't know why they would feel the need to colorize it.

3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]

This is the single volume full color EC reprint tome from Nostalgia Press published in 1971.
    They want about $100 online but if you look around you can find it cheaper. I still remember some of the stories today.

Thanks to this thread I found that there is a current series (much more complete) of full color reprints that were done by Dark Horse called the EC Archives and are not that expensive:
    [​IMG]

Seem to go for about $25-$50 depending on the volume. I think they have about 20 stories or so each.

melstapler likes this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Russ Cochran started the full color reprints several years ago then after some financial trouble Dark Horse got the rights and been furthering the series and reprinting the previous volumes. Either are highly recommended if you are a fan of this stuff. I have all of them and they are fantastic. Still a few books left to come out to finish all the runs.

GreenFuz and fmfxray373 like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Does he go to see "the Magus" in this one? That is the weirdest comic I've ever read. I believe Greta Garbo's head pops up in that one.I love it's weirdness. I think it was "the trial" of Adam Warlock. Great artist.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe my favorite series of all time.

[​IMG]

Love Neil Gaiman. Can't wait for "American Gods" to return on TV.

7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The Tick - Omnibus (1990-1996)

I second any of the Sandman series.

8. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

One of my faves:

Bill Griffith's "From A to Zippy"

9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

That was my thought as well. I have the hardcover reprint as well as all the original issues, so unless word of mouth turns out to be overwhelmingly positive for the new colorized edition, I'm not too interested.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nice stash !!!

11. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison
    Hellblazer - Jamie Delano
    Archer & Armstrong - Barry Windsor-Smith

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+ Daredvil: Born Again (the best Daredevil collection) + the collected Bendis/Maleev run on Daredevil

[​IMG]

+ all the Tintin and Blake and Mortimer books + all Giraud's Blueberry books + all the books in the collected Kane series by Paul Grist, starting with:

[​IMG]

+ Daredevil: Legends (i.e. the collected Daredevil: Yellow stories) +

[​IMG]

+ Elektra Lives Again + a collected version of the Lee/Kirby Mangog stories from Thor (To Wake the Mangog)

melstapler likes this.
  13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although it's likely out of print, I'd recommend The Art Of Walt Simonson. It features his early work for DC Comics and features many characters (including one story that was originally a supposed to be a Star Trek story), and the conclusion of his story on Hercules.

It came to my attention because it featured his work on one of my favorite teams: The Metal Men. Although he only did five issues, his work on the title was great and for me he is the definitive Metal Men artist (even better than the original art team). Although he kept the original look of the team (which many later art teams have moved away from), his art style breathed new life into the team.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.